Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

I love this synth! unfortunately i switched to mac now im missing it sooo much :(

I hope the dev makes an au version one day, but for now i'll pray....

Thanks for the awesome synth BlauKraut :tu:

any suggestions for something similar in mac 64 bit format??

I'm still using 1.2 because I'm afraid of losing patches that are used in older songs -- will I lose those sounds if I substitute 1.2 for the new version?... Or will I have to keep 2 Charlatan.dll versions (1.2 and the last one)? I don't want to have to re-program old patches.
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

Hi. I really like this but I can't load banks in Forte 64bit. Maybe integrating file handling into the plugin would solve various host compatibility issues?

Hm. It looks nice. And I think I would like it more if I found a way how to turn the knobs in the interface with my mouse into the left direction. :-) I have to use the Reaper builtin slider knobs to adjust some values to 0 (zero), for example the osc2 volume, but that would be much more convenient in the Charlatan interface. Some knobs work, some not so well. They seem to be not too reliable when using them with a mouse (Charlatan 1.4.1[64 bit]/Windows 8.1/Reaper 4.62). How could I solve this issue?

JDPB wrote:unfortunately i switched to mac
So true....so true.......... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

:hihi:

JDPB wrote:any suggestions for something similar in mac 64 bit format??
Maybe Tyrell N6 from U-He: http://www.amazona.de/amazona-de-freewa ... ell-n6-v3/
Fernando (FMR)

I am referring to this post: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5772542

I tried it again and I think really have a problem with the mouse control in the current Reaper version under Windows 8.1. A quick test revealed that it seems to have no problem in the current version of Renoise. That seems to be strange.

Usually I am using the current Reaper version and Charlatan 1.4.1 (64 bit) under Windows 8.1.

Specifically I can turn some knobs only between "12 and 3 o'clock" with a poor resolution (knob jumps from one position to the other) while some others can be turned smoothly (without jumping) into all desired directions and positions.

What can I do? Is this an issue that should be reported to the Reaper developers or to the Charlatan developers, or is it Microsoft? So far, I never had this specific problem with another plugin before.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

magickz wrote:I am referring to this post: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5772542

I tried it again and I think really have a problem with the mouse control in the current Reaper version under Windows 8.1. A quick test revealed that it seems to have no problem in the current version of Renoise. That seems to be strange.

Usually I am using the current Reaper version and Charlatan 1.4.1 (64 bit) under Windows 8.1.

Specifically I can turn some knobs only between "12 and 3 o'clock" with a poor resolution (knob jumps from one position to the other) while some others can be turned smoothly (without jumping) into all desired directions and positions.

What can I do? Is this an issue that should be reported to the Reaper developers or to the Charlatan developers, or is it Microsoft? So far, I never had this specific problem with another plugin before.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Hmm, never heard of or experienced a problem like this. My main development platform is REAPER 64bit on Win7, so not too far off from your setup. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Win8.1 machine and currently don't see much I can do about the issue, sorry. Since you mentioned it's a REAPER only problem, maybe try resetting REAPER to stock configuration (after backup of course :)?

Thank you for your reply, Karrikuh. I also posted a question in the Reaper compatibility forum. And I guess it is a good idea to make a fresh installation. Recently I also found it seems to become a little bit slow. (Maybe too many VSTs)

Now I tried Charlatan 32 bit and 64 bit in a fresh portable installation of Reaper - Charlatan included exclusively as the only third party plugin. And it works very well as expected. :)

Back to my other installation of Reaper - including a directory with hundred 3rd party vst plugins - I cleaned the cache and rescanned all plugins, but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks again for your help. Btw. would also be possible that two VST plugins interfere with each other?

Might be a silly question but are you using any synth edit plugs, they have caused issues for me before. Good luck.

Doc Brown, there are many. But not that I rely on them all, I just tried out many things. So far without any problems worth mentioning. I consider to use two parallel (portable?) installations of the Reaper in the future - one for testing plugins, and another (more clean) one for using my favorite plugins only that passed my test. And I definitely want Charlatan in my favorites list.

Anyway, I would not want to miss all of those Synth Edit plugins. For some of the free plugins based on Synth Edit I even donate more money than I consider to pay for some other commercial plugins, just because they are really good and useful, sometimes they provide amazingly creative and unique solutions. :-)

Why I want Charlatan? Because it has so many good reviews everywhere, its almost perfectly clean user interface and because it focuses on the essentials. In my opinion this also makes it a perfect candidate for synthesis lessons for beginners who never used a synth before and who do not want to risk to spend too much money in the beginning. It seems to be compatible enough to run on almost every PC/host, simple enough for a start, and good enough to stick with it even beyond the lessons. :-)

Maybe the TAL-Elek7ro has chances to become my second candidate that meets these criterias, and it has the advantage that it can be used on a Mac as well, but the disadvantage that its development is discontinued.

for $8.74 you can snag the player version of poly KB an almost $200 synth. search for the xils thread were we are all talking about it. The coupon code is group. it will load presets created in the full version.

Hello. I'm reporting that Charlatan works well with v-machine, even in poly mode. IDK how you made such a tasty filter but it's certainly smoth as silk, even in upper register (which I like very much). I'm trying now to figure out how to use one with Axiom49 (1st gen), how to map all the needed params to only 16 pots and faders. I also could not get presets to work, so its starts at "init sound"

Return to “Instruments”