Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

chk071 wrote:
schnibbelkram wrote:Havent red tall the replys , but anyone else here who wishes for a midi learn function for this Synth? :?:
Yes, of course. :)
Yes, of double course. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

i've been using Charlatan, and it's quite good.

OSX plans?

also, Blaukraut working on anything else??

Mutant wrote:
chk071 wrote:
schnibbelkram wrote:Havent red tall the replys , but anyone else here who wishes for a midi learn function for this Synth? :?:
Triple! Any chance of MIDI learn functionality in Charlatan? Would be awesome.

B1ZZYB0T wrote:
Mutant wrote:
chk071 wrote:
OK so seriously now.
Karrikuh has some limited amount of time he can spend on adding functions to Charlatan and while i would be happy to see any improvements, i would be a lot happier if these improvements were in areas i can't easily work around - more in the structure of the synth (a routing matrix would make me feel like i am in heaven).

Currently i can use MIDI learn with Charlatan through REAPER without any problems.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:
B1ZZYB0T wrote:
Mutant wrote:
chk071 wrote:
OK so seriously now.
Karrikuh has some limited amount of time he can spend on adding functions to Charlatan and while i would be happy to see any improvements, i would be a lot happier if these improvements were in areas i can't easily work around - more in the structure of the synth (a routing matrix would make me feel like i am in heaven).

Currently i can use MIDI learn with Charlatan through REAPER without any problems.
I doubt we will see this synth get any more complex as simplicity is what its all about. Maybe I didnt notice that I can use midi learn from within ableton. Ill check again.

Something I've wanted for a while in Charlatan - an invert button for the shape modulation on Oscillator 1.

EDIT: Just a warning to anyone thinking of updating to the new version - keep the old version on your HD because the new one has slightly different architecture and some patches will break. I.e. - sounds that use the noise from Osc 1 with the ring modulator.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

karrikuh wrote:Charlatan is a polyphonic, subtractive virtual analog (VA) synthesizer plugin with design focus on sound quality and easy usability. The design philosophy was to provide a feature set just flexible enough to cover a wide range of sounds while deliberately abstaining from countless parameters and modulation options cluttering the user interface and distracting from the creative process. That being said, Charlatan's architecture is flexible enough to create all kinds of sounds, from conventional classic leads, basses and pads to weird blips and noises.

While making no compromises about sound quality, the algorithms have been optimized for efficient CPU usage making Charlatan well suited as a ''bread and butter'' synth even in projects with a large number of plugin instances.

Best of all, it's FREEWARE! I'm happy to hear your opinions and suggestions! Enjoy!

Feature Summary
  • 2 oscillators with triangle, sawtooth, pulse and noise waveforms
  • oscillator pulse-width modulation (PWM) and slew rate modulation (morphing between triangle and sawtooth)
  • oscillator hard synchronization and ring modulation
  • 2 ADSR envelope generators
  • LFO with host tempo synchronization
  • 3 filter types modeled after classic analog hardware: 4-pole (24 db/oct) and 2-pole (12 db/oct) lowpass, bandpass
  • filter code based on nonlinear zero-delay feedback technique for accurate emulation of analog counterparts
  • 3 voice modes: Monophonic with retriggering, Monophonic Legato and 8-voice Polyphonic
  • low CPU usage
  • 100% coded in C++
  • native 64-bit support
F.A.Q. (to be updated)
- I don't like the GUI color. Can I replace the GUI skin?
Yes, you may use a Resource Editor to replace the image in the DLL. I even allow you to share your hacked DLL as long as you distribute it along with the original readme/license files and a clear note that this is not the original version and point people to the place where they can find the original.
- Will you add official skinning support?
Not in the near future as it involves quite some work with IMO only limited value in return.
- Will you add a proper preset management system? Arpeggiator? Integrated effects?
See answer to previous question. I'm more into the UNIX philosophy of designing software tools which is to do one thing and do it well. There are already great free standalone arps/FX available.
- I really feel I need another osc/LFO/envelope/...
As you are aware, Charlatan's all about simplicity. I really feel that I have reached a feature set which gives you the best versatility/complexity ratio. If I wanted an even more flexible architecture, it'd probably better be in a new plugin.
- Will there be a Mac version?
I'd love to have one, but there's lot of work to done, as I'm using my custom development framework, which currently supports Windows only. Also, I need a Mac...

Latest Changes
1.4.1 (2013-06-04)
  • BUGFIX: DCO mode with Osc2 square/pulse wave was broken
1.4 (2013-06-02)
  • noise source now separate from Osc 1
  • Osc 2: narrow pulse wave
  • LFO: extended rate range
  • GUI update
  • BUGFIX: potential crasher
  • some more presets
More info and download: http://www.blaukraut.info

Hi.

I'd like to start off by saying this is my favorite sounding free synth. I love the warmth of this thing. Instant classic!

Would it be difficult to implement midi learn for assignments to a midi controller? This would be awesome!

Thanks for a great free instrument. :tu:

Doc Brown wrote: Would it be difficult to implement midi learn for assignments to a midi controller? This would be awesome!
More and more people in for this. :) But seriously, not every host features such an easy midi learn implementation as Reaper has, e.g. the one in Cubase is a PITA, so it would be a really nice addition for this synth. So much more fun to be able to control it via Midi.

Or maybe, if that isn't possible, or too much hassle, just hard code some midi cc's for the controls, so one can learn his midi device for Charlatan.

Thats a strange track I've made with a friend using Charlatan.
It's a rearranged medieval song. Almost all sounds are made with Charlatan (except vocals, of course, and the bell).

https://soundcloud.com/faraway-halstead ... stead-blah

Mutant wrote:
B1ZZYB0T wrote:
Mutant wrote:
chk071 wrote:
OK so seriously now.

Hey Mutant.

I can't figure out how to use the mapping feature in REAPER to control Charlatan. How are you doing this if you don't mind me asking?

1. Spawn the plugin.
2. Move a control on the GUI.
3. Click "Param" on the top right, pick "Learn" from the menu.
4. Move a knob or a fader on your hardware.
5. My settings for that little "MIDI/OSC Learn" window: CC mode = Absolute, all checkboxes unchecked.
6. Click "OK"
7. Repeat 2-6 for all parameters you wish to MIDI learn.
8. Open the tracks FX window, select only Charlatan, FX/"Save selected FX as chain..." - this will save all the MIDI learn settings and you wont have to repeat the process ever again.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I know, I know Charlatan is supposed to be simple but here's my suggestions to make it even better....

Not much but they would all help without going overboard.

On/Off button for sound sources.
Both oscillators have Tri/Saw/Pulse.
Separate LFO and Env controls for filter.
Ability to change LFO rate with knob while synced.

I think it's great synth anyway, so thanks for making it!

Not bad, Lixma.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

But I suggest mysterious dark blue LEDs in order to prevent that cheap GUI impression that Charlatan has moved away from with the new red.

And there is space for 3 more knobs :D
Maybe a Unison knob in the Global section, and a simple 2-band EQ (like on a stereo) in the Filter section; or alternatively a HP filter with Cutoff and Resonance knobs.

Mutant wrote:1. Spawn the plugin.
2. Move a control on the GUI.
3. Click "Param" on the top right, pick "Learn" from the menu.
4. Move a knob or a fader on your hardware.
5. My settings for that little "MIDI/OSC Learn" window: CC mode = Absolute, all checkboxes unchecked.
6. Click "OK"
7. Repeat 2-6 for all parameters you wish to MIDI learn.
8. Open the tracks FX window, select only Charlatan, FX/"Save selected FX as chain..." - this will save all the MIDI learn settings and you wont have to repeat the process ever again.
Hey Mutant.

No can do my friend. It's not working for some stupid reason. I've tried it 15 times I bet to no avail. After I twist the knob it gives me a midi CC number showing it discovered my knob input. I then make sure it's set to absolute. I click ok and nothing. I have no idea what's going on with it.

Return to “Instruments”