Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

Crackbaby wrote:Didn't know renoise had that feature, but it's good when hosts have that!
You would be amazed what can be achieved with all of renoise ' meta devices ' routed to vst's parameters
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Meta_Devices
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

K82 wrote:I tried to use charlatan 1.2b on a windows xp pentium 4 pc but neither reaper 4 nor renoise 2.8 see the plugin .Why is this?
Hmm, not sure, really. Does your CPU support SSE2 instructions? Do you have SP3 installed?

jobromedia wrote:Really nice synth! I definitely enjoy tweaking it. There is however a problem with the polyphony in FL Studio. Play 1/8th notes with 2 keys. You'll notice how one of the keys is lost from time to time.
I wasn't able to reproduce this in Reaper, no matter how hard I tried, like drawing overlapping notes and what not. I'd like to avoid installing FL Studio here, so could somebody else using it check if he happens to experience the same problem?

Your synth is perfect for Funk, RnB, Fusion, and the like, as it delivers standard sounds - especially pads, brass, basses - in great quality. I just programmed a funky brass pad, sounds like a Prophet :)

Just three comments:
- I can hardly tell the 12 and 14 db filter labels apart. 1 is the 24 db filter, right? I think it would be better to write 12 and 24 instead of the letters 2 and 1 respectively.
- The scales are a bit odd, I mean they go from 0 to 13 :) That in turn makes it difficult to include fatter lines for every 5 or so in between. I guess scales from 0 to 10 would be better, with a thicker line at 5. Or no scales at all, that would force people to use their ears only when sliding. Somehow one is always tempted to set the slider to a line or halfway between two neighboring lines, I guess it's just the perfectionist human mind :)
- The red looks a bit cheap. A brushed black metal surface with colorful label fonts, almost like LED fonts, would look good :)
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ ... 2y85jt.png

fluffy_little_something wrote:- I can hardly tell the 12 and 14 db filter labels apart. 1 is the 24 db filter, right? I think it would be better to write 12 and 24 instead of the letters 2 and 1 respectively.
The numbers are 2 and 4 and they refer to 'poles'. 1 pole = -6 dB/octave.

so 2 pole is the 12 dB/octave filter and the 4 pole is the 24dB/octave filter.

Oh, it looks like a 1 to me, it's so small. Even now that you told me and I am staring at it, I see a 1 :D
And I doubt everyone knows about that pole background anyway...

hi,
just wanted to let the dev know that studio one 2.0.7 still doesn't even see charlatan 1.2b. but there's progress, after all xt, used as a sub host, does see it an play it very well.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Charlatan loads in Studio One 64bit no problem on my machine.

jobromedia wrote:Really nice synth! I definitely enjoy tweaking it. There is however a problem with the polyphony in FL Studio. Play 1/8th notes with 2 keys. You'll notice how one of the keys is lost from time to time.
I had a similar problem with another synth in FL ages ago. I had a play around checking/unchecking options in the wrapper settings and I think that sorted it out. Can't remember exactly what I did but might be worth a look.

dexterbella wrote:Charlatan loads in Studio One 64bit no problem on my machine.
win xp pro 32 bit (sp3) here. s1 doesn't even see it or scan it.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

If it doesnt scan it (anymore) then it probably put it in the sh*tlist during an earlier scan.

Reset and try again.

ENV1 wrote:If it doesnt scan it (anymore) then it probably put it in the sh*tlist during an earlier scan.

Reset and try again.
nope. the blacklist is empty. it's just like i said. s1 v.2.0.6/7 (win xp pro sp3) simply doesn't see it.
this is since the last 2 versions. the versions before were perfectly working in s1.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

brok landers wrote:
ENV1 wrote:If it doesnt scan it (anymore) then it probably put it in the sh*tlist during an earlier scan.

Reset and try again.
nope. the blacklist is empty. it's just like i said. s1 v.2.0.6/7 (win xp pro sp3) simply doesn't see it.
this is since the last 2 versions. the versions before were perfectly working in s1.
So I went and installed both S1 2.0.7 and latest FL Studio 10.9 demo in a Win XP SP3 virtual machine. I found that both recognize and load latest Charlatan release just fine! Sorry if I can't help you here since right now I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong on your system...

Charlatan is a fantastic soft synth. One of my favorites i use all the time.
I like the red interface and it works fine for me in reaper with xp P4 32.

I'd also like to be able to use the lfo and adsr together on the filter.

It's a good synth, simple, sounds good, but fun? :?:

Return to “Instruments”