When will Spectrasonics announce Stylus RMX 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gonga wrote:
como baila wrote:You can already do this with "edit groups." For example, take all the kick slices in a loop and add them to an edit group, take all the snare slices and add them to an edit group, etc. Edit groups can be separately FX'd in RMX and can be separately routed to any of the different 8 audio outs for further indvidual channel routing in your DAW.

Como
This is one of those things most of us never dug into, but during my last project I wished I could, so thanks for this pointer.
I'm not being snarky here, but I hope "most of us" know how to use edit groups in every way possible. It's the most important thing to know about RMX.

Watch the 3 vids. Really easy stuff. :)

The thing that pisses me off about waiting for Stylus 2 is that I'm very tempted by Maschine

- especially as I already have the Kore 2 discount to take advantage of.

But I'd hate myself if I bought Maschine

- and then Spectrasonics released this brilliant hardware / software RMX II.

... duh ... :cry:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I would want them to not make the sounds so harsh in the upper mids.
I use it alot but have to be careful about which sounds I choose and what to do about that harshiness on the sounds I really want to use. For example, to my ears,the tamborine and hi hat type sounds are really harsh.
Last edited by dblock on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maschine is single hits, and not so great for realistic 'live performance' drum tracks.
RMX is primarily a looper and better for realistic live performance drumming.
I don't see them challenging each other. I have both, and if anything they are complimentary.

I'm no marketing expert, but I can't see Spectrasonics developing a hardware controller. They are very expensive to produce and you can't sell them through a download either.
If they were to do something for Stylus it would no doubt be an iPad App type of thing.

I agree that Stylus feels a little long in the tooth.
What they could do to reinvigorate my interest........
Include a club section that's more relevant to European club styles. This is one area where Maschine kills.

Secondly,. make it easier to import my own loops. Much easier!
And I don't want to buy Recycle.

I'd like to see a whole new instrument from Spectrasonics maybe even more than another version of Stylus. Maybe because I bought Geist, because it's closer to what I'm looking for in a looper--with the ability to edit and slice and arrange.

Spectrasonics is great when they combine their amazing sound design with cool new tech, and I'm sure they will come up with something amazing that will blow me away that I wasn't anticipating at all.

I've said before that Spectrasonics always exceeds my expectations, and the things they think up tend to be superior to the things I think up.

The whole idea of plugins is to add them to an existing combination of hardware and software. I know others here disagree with me, but in my opinion, creating specialized hardware is a huge step backward. Unless it offers a new kind of control, in which case, why not invent a new kind of controller and just sell that without software? Spectrasonics' embracing of the iPad as a controller seems to go against the idea that they want to get in the hardware business. The OMG-1 was really largely hardware that other people built and EP put together to make an instrument. :)

As regards what is next for Stylus RMX, I would like to see a ridonkulously gargantuan library, more acoustic drums (possibly a different mode of handling them as well - not just manipulated loops), maybe multisampled loops. I would like them to put Skippy Lemkuhl on the payroll so we don't have to get his stuff after the fact. :) Also, Nine Volt Audio has done some great harmonic (not percussive) libraries and the future of RMX should look at that as well. Last but not least, this guy invented a way to do acoustic kits for RMX that is truly brilliant. Spectrasonics should be looking at this method too:
http://www.sampleholics.com/page1.html
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

It should definately import user samples.

muLperi wrote:It should definately import user samples.
I'm not sure how this would be possible. It is a 'Rex' file loop player. Assume for the moment that it could play other sliced loops, like acidized one. Unless you already had acidized loops from Sony media collections or had made them in Sony Acid Pro or Sound Forge, you'd still need a way to slice and loop the audio, i.e., trim to bar and slice without or with minimum artifact.

You'd need a program within the program.

I suppose it is possible to make Stylus be like a 'one shot' sample player like the free UVI engine, but that wouldn't add much ... and create a lot of problems with any tempo change/ time stretching.

So, if you want complete control over your content, just get Recycle, chop audio by bar(s) in your DAW or editor and make your own REX files and convert them.

I don't think it is going to get any easier than it already is ... regardless of whatever brilliant other innovations Spectrasonic comes up with.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

So, if you want complete control over your content, just get Recycle, chop audio by bar(s) in your DAW or editor and make your own REX files and convert them.
yea! "just" :D
but then again, perhaps I bought wrong kind of VSTi for my needs.
Never really used it since I like to have more control over my instrument.

Or get Geist.

muLperi wrote:
yea! "just" :D
but then again, perhaps I bought wrong kind of VSTi for my needs.
Never really used it since I like to have more control over my instrument.
Possibly ... but who doesn't need a Rex on 'rhoids beatbox from time to time? 8)

As such, what cannot you control? You can play a single slice with midi, you can process a single slice or group of slices, you can make a kit from the slices ... also group processed or singly processed, you can send a single slice to it's own individual audio out, you can quantize the rhythm timing independently for each loop or select one loop to 'rule them all,' you can program irregular, but predictable, playback with chaos and you can change the pitch. I'm having a hard time of thinking of what you couldn't control?

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Hewitt Huntwork wrote:........... Also, Nine Volt Audio has done some great harmonic (not percussive) libraries and the future of RMX should look at that as well. Last but not least, this guy invented a way to do acoustic kits for RMX that is truly brilliant. Spectrasonics should be looking at this method too:
http://www.sampleholics.com/page1.html
Two comments.....
NVA does do percussive stuff. in particular their The Beat Aesthetic and the new Beat Aesthetic Taikos are to me some of the, if not the best percussive libraries out there for RMX.... ymmv

I bought the sampleholics thing tbh to support him to do other libraries which were promised a long time ago, I have found the library wayyyy too cumbersome to use....... and I use drum libraries elsewhere.....

rsp

[quote="como baila"

As such, what cannot you control? You can play a single slice with midi, you can process a single slice or group of slices, you can make a kit from the slices ... also group processed or singly processed, you can send a single slice to it's own individual audio out, you can quantize the rhythm timing independently for each loop or select one loop to 'rule them all,' you can program irregular, but predictable, playback with chaos and you can change the pitch. I'm having a hard time of thinking of what you couldn't control?

Como[/quote]

Yeah. I'm really wondering how many people who own RMX simply don't know how to use it, or how many are simply doing things much quicker than I am with something else.

As I've said before, though I love RMX it's not the end-all, be-all instrument - yet. And it's interesting what users want from 2.0 - I was told by another Spectrasonics junkie on Sunday that what I want is impossible - so I'm not going to spew that here, but I do expect greater interaction with Omnisphere & Trilian when 2.0 comes out.

I don't know how Spectrasonics is going to do that, but it's going to be interesting.

como baila wrote:
So, if you want complete control over your content, just get Recycle
Como
Yeah, last time I looked Recycle wasn't at all cheap to buy. And I wouldn't use it for any other reason than to import my own loops into Stylus.
I've owned Stylus for years, and use it with it's own library and a couple of other Rex libraries I bought.
So I'm not sitting here cursing Stylus for what it ain't. Just that the question was asked, what would you like to see in a new version.
Software instruments have moved on a lot since Stylus was first released.
Many programmes have drag and drop import of your own samples.
Maschine chops up imported loops super easily (I own Maschine too).

So it would be wonderful if I could use my own loops in Stylus more easily, without having to buy a 3rd party product.
That's all.

Well, imho, I think adding something "rex" is a pain in RMX personally. That kinda stuff starts to be cluttered and confusing to me.

@maschine: It's been very much a go-to for me in many ways lately. The only thing I don't like about it (I guess this is mostly directed at kevvvvvv) is that it doesn't really integrate with reaper super great, and there is a known issue with the controller not being the greatest "midi" controller outside of maschine.

All in all I like what I get out of machine the best for groove controlled beatz though. Again, just my opinion.

Return to “Instruments”