Kairatune 1.1 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh I refere to the synth in general. Haven't heard the ENV1 bank yet though.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Is there any way to get Kaira to retrigger the envelopes when hitting a second key while still holding the first? Actually, Kaira doesn't seem to retrigger if the prior note is still in its release phase. Is there some parameter I am missing that would force a retrigger on every keystroke?

Thanks.

JJBiener wrote:Is there any way to get Kaira to retrigger the envelopes when hitting a second key while still holding the first? Actually, Kaira doesn't seem to retrigger if the prior note is still in its release phase. Is there some parameter I am missing that would force a retrigger on every keystroke?

Thanks.
Analog monosynths behave in the way that is getting complaints in this thread. :D If you are holding a key, the amplitude of another key pressed will be that of the current envelope state. Not only this, but the next key will be silent, trigger nothing, if it is on the wrong side of note priority- this is one of things that give a monosynth its character. You literally cannot play the same riffs on a synth with a different note priority.

Retriggering on the other hand means you can never do a proper monosynth legato.

The best solution is to have different keyboard modes, like Diva does, but that of course takes time to implement.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
JJBiener wrote:Is there any way to get Kaira to retrigger the envelopes when hitting a second key while still holding the first? Actually, Kaira doesn't seem to retrigger if the prior note is still in its release phase. Is there some parameter I am missing that would force a retrigger on every keystroke?

Thanks.
Analog monosynths behave in the way that is getting complaints in this thread. :D If you are holding a key, the amplitude of another key pressed will be that of the current envelope state. Not only this, but the next key will be silent, trigger nothing, if it is on the wrong side of note priority- this is one of things that give a monosynth its character. You literally cannot play the same riffs on a synth with a different note priority.

Retriggering on the other hand means you can never do a proper monosynth legato.

The best solution is to have different keyboard modes, like Diva does, but that of course takes time to implement.
Thanks for information, but what I was really asking for is if there was a parameter to change the keyboard mode like on other synths. I guess the answer is no.

Thanks.

JJBiener wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for information, but what I was really asking for is if there was a parameter to change the keyboard mode like on other synths. I guess the answer is no.

Thanks.
Offering different triggering modes is pretty rare, I think. Hopefully it will become a standard feature.

JJBiener wrote:Thanks for information, but what I was really asking for is if there was a parameter to change the keyboard mode like on other synths. I guess the answer is no.
The answer is no. Kairatune has only one keyboard mode, i.e. legato, and only one portamento mode and that is on only during legato. I realise the need for the other modes. I'll add optional legato mode to the wishlist.

mfa wrote:Ok, there's a new page for the patches. I noticed a recent update in KVR plugin pages. The URL's are much better now - readable text instead of some numbers. So the edit button we've been after is supposed to be on the new page (reachable from the synth page). Try this please http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kairatu ... /downloads.
I see.

Maybe it would be a good idea then to adapt the link of the 'Banks & Patches' button in the topbar, because that one (still) leads to the page i made that snapshot of. (Especially since there is nothing there that would hint at the fact that there actually is a second content manager on KVR which does allow you to manage your own content.)

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. Going to delete the old files now...new bank should be up in a minute...

OK, updated bank is up.

Any problems, let me know.

Thanks ENV1! I didn't find any problems. Sounds great!

ENV1 wrote:OK, updated bank is up.

Any problems, let me know.
thanks, some very nice sounds in there

Not exactly showstoppers, but i thought id pass on what ive found anyway:

• Missing 'c' in word 'oscillators' in tooltip of Multi

• When i load my bank, (the updated one), and select one of the 2 'Trumpety' presets, the Trill param reads 0.12st. When i click the Trill knob, the value jumps to 'Off'. Once the value is at Off it stays at Off even if i switch to another preset and back. When i reload the entire bank, the 0.12st returns. No idea if these two are the only presets with this 'issue', i didnt have the time to check them all yet. I also dont know whether this is limited to the Trill param or if others are affected as well. Should be checked in any case, though.

• There is still something odd going on with the negative range of the Vibra knob. To see what i mean, set the knob to -80.00st and then keep clicking on it. You will notice that each click will increase the knob value by 1 st. In this case the 'reactive range' is 11 clicks, i.e. the knob reacts to clicking until you reach -69.00st. With other initial-values the reactive range is different, e.g. with -104.00st the knob will only react to 5 clicks (stops at -99.00st) and with -120.00st it will only react to 1 click. There are also values where there is no reaction at all. A special case seems to be -29.00st. Clicking the knob with that value set often results in a straight jump to -27.00st, skipping -28.00st. There may be more such cases where values are skipped, i didnt check them all.

Thats it for now, hoping you can make heads and tails of it. :D

If i find more i will let you know...

PS: Glad you folks like the bank. If i hadnt lost a folder with a demo project i would have added even more. But then again its not very hard to come up with interesting stuff with this synth, so im sure there will be another update or two regardless...

It might just be me misunderstanding the synth, but when I hold down shift and set the delays to really short (e.g. sub 40ms) and set the feedback to 0, I still get delays that are definitely longer than the duration I set. (I was trying to achieve a simple double for a clap/snare sound)

ENV1 wrote:Not exactly showstoppers, but i thought id pass on what ive found anyway:
Very much appreciated! This is all valuable info.
• Missing 'c' in word 'oscillators' in tooltip of Multi
True, a typo. :bang: Easy to fix. :)
• When i load my bank, (the updated one), and select one of the 2 'Trumpety' presets, the Trill param reads 0.12st. When i click the Trill knob, the value jumps to 'Off'.

This behaviour is by design. The trill amount is quantized to even semitones and a click counts as edit which gets rounded to the closest even semitone, in this case zero i.e. off. You can set a value such as 0.12st by holding down the shift key while editing.
Once the value is at Off it stays at Off even if i switch to another preset and back. When i reload the entire bank, the 0.12st returns. No idea if these two are the only presets with this 'issue', i didnt have the time to check them all yet. I also dont know whether this is limited to the Trill param or if others are affected as well. Should be checked in any case, though.
This is how the VST-plugins behave. If you edit a preset switch to another and back, your edits will still be there. Loading an FXP or an FXB overwrites the the preset or the entire bank.
• There is still something odd going on with the negative range of the Vibra knob. To see what i mean, set the knob to -80.00st and then keep clicking on it. You will notice that each click will increase the knob value by 1 st. In this case the 'reactive range' is 11 clicks, i.e. the knob reacts to clicking until you reach -69.00st. With other initial-values the reactive range is different, e.g. with -104.00st the knob will only react to 5 clicks (stops at -99.00st) and with -120.00st it will only react to 1 click. There are also values where there is no reaction at all. A special case seems to be -29.00st. Clicking the knob with that value set often results in a straight jump to -27.00st, skipping -28.00st. There may be more such cases where values are skipped, i didnt check them all.
Yes, confirmed. I can't believe how hard it can be to get this right. I'll fix it (again :shock: ) in the next update.
Thats it for now, hoping you can make heads and tails of it. :D

If i find more i will let you know...
Please do and thanks a lot for these!
PS: Glad you folks like the bank. If i hadnt lost a folder with a demo project i would have added even more. But then again its not very hard to come up with interesting stuff with this synth, so im sure there will be another update or two regardless...

Looking forward for it!

markheath wrote:It might just be me misunderstanding the synth, but when I hold down shift and set the delays to really short (e.g. sub 40ms) and set the feedback to 0, I still get delays that are definitely longer than the duration I set. (I was trying to achieve a simple double for a clap/snare sound)
Yes i noticed this too and left a comment on the OSC thread. The minimum delay time is useless for this purpose. :( There is a lower limit to the delay time. The GUI should of course tell you this, but it doesn't - sorry about that. I had forgotten all about this long ago. It has to do with the way the feedback system works. I suppose i overlooked the usefulness of very short delays when implementing the delay module. I guess we have to get a bit more creative on claps. :)

mfa wrote:Yes i noticed this too and left a comment on the OSC thread. The minimum delay time is useless for this purpose. :( There is a lower limit to the delay time. The GUI should of course tell you this, but it doesn't - sorry about that. I had forgotten all about this long ago. It has to do with the way the feedback system works. I suppose i overlooked the usefulness of very short delays when implementing the delay module. I guess we have to get a bit more creative on claps. :)
No problem, I have a simple delay plugin to thicken up my claps and have managed to create a sound that is sort of snare like. I really like the GUI design on this synth, with the colour coding, tooltips, and durations visible at all times make this very accessible to people like me who are very much beginners at sound synthesis. So thanks again, this is lots of fun to play with.

Return to “Instruments”