Cableguys Curve 2 - Preset Contest Winners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want to avoid that a low velocity results in a cutoff value of 0, you can set Vel->Cutoff to a value smaller than 100.
And if someone wants it to work in the way that it does in every other VA plugin (ie velocity *adds* to the cutoff freq so that one starts and ends at a chosen level whatever the velocity)?

Breaking with convention is fine so long as the result offers something at least as useful as the alternative - however, as with Curve's bizarre (sorry) polyphonic release for mono/legato patches, this is a case where abandoning well established convention yields results that are less useful.

Apologies if this comes across as overly negative. I appreciate that you've worked hard on Curve, and there's plenty that's good about, but the market for synth plugins is crowded and to have a hope of being competitive a synth like Curve needs to at least get the basics right.

All the best.

hakey wrote:
If you want to avoid that a low velocity results in a cutoff value of 0, you can set Vel->Cutoff to a value smaller than 100.
And if someone wants it to work in the way that it does in every other VA plugin (ie velocity *adds* to the cutoff freq so that one starts and ends at a chosen level whatever the velocity)?
Hey hakey, sorry for only chiming in now!

I've just added a task for the Vel->Cutoff in our wishlist forum. Hope that gets it right, matches your critic?

It says: "Currently, routing velocity to filter cutoff means that a cutoff value of 64 (for velocity being 1-127) will not alter cutoff. A velocity < 64 result in a lower cutoff, a velocity > 64 results in a higher cutoff. hakey@KVR thinks that this is rather unusual. Instead, a velocity of 1 (0 is reserved for Note-Off) should keep the cutoff setting. A velocity > 1 should result in a higher cutoff setting."

hakey wrote:Breaking with convention is fine so long as the result offers something at least as useful as the alternative - however, as with Curve's bizarre (sorry) polyphonic release for mono/legato patches, this is a case where abandoning well established convention yields results that are less useful.
And another wishlist entry for this one!

"Currently, Curve has a polyphonic release for mono/legato patches. hakey@KVR would prefer to change this to a monophonic release, as most other synths do it. So if set to mono/legato, Curve only plays one note at a time."

hakey wrote:Apologies if this comes across as overly negative. I appreciate that you've worked hard on Curve, and there's plenty that's good about, but the market for synth plugins is crowded and to have a hope of being competitive a synth like Curve needs to at least get the basics right.

All the best.
No problem here, I always appreciate your feedback!

Cool - just placed my votes!

Whilst I'm thinking about it - for legato patches with keytrack routed to cutoff, it would be good if keytrack follows overlapping notes (at the moment keytrack is registered only for the first note of an overlapping sequence, which can result in the higher notes in a sequence sounding muffled or low notes too bright).

Would be even better if keytrack could follow glide... but which one? I'd have oscillator one as the master glide and glide for oscillators two and three adjusted by an offset (see how it's done in, eg, u-he Tyrell). This would also make setting all oscillators to the same glide much quicker.

...talking about Tyrell - a "Voice" modulation source would be very useful indeed!

I'm enjoying this demo. It's very good for bread-and-butter sounds as well as special effects. I'll try their MidiShaper and FilterShaper on other synths so see if they could liven up their sounds. I'm sure they would.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Instruments”