Diva Vs. Real Analog

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

I'm using my moog little phatty for controlling diva, all knobs in 14bit CC mode, mapped to the same controls in the plugin as what reads in the front panel. Can't tell you how many times I've thought I was playing the moog instead of Diva :) I guess I could detect differences in a detailed A/B comparison, but why bother if it's fun to play and it sounds good..

So IMVHO I'd say that Diva can hold it's own. But then again, I'd say that about Zebra as well (when it's not trying to act like a VA, that is - Zebra's forte is in digital synthesis).

pdxindy wrote:However, since lots of people do find it inspiring and that it fits in their music, that is a personal experience, not something that is objective or can be generalized.
True. As always.
pdxindy wrote:That Zebra has been used extensively in a number of major hollywood movies also attests to its ability to fit in with other instruments.
[non-fanboi mode]Which is nothing special. That is true for every other little or big bit that is used in these major Hollywood movies.[/non-fanboi mode]

Really, that Hans Zimmer uses Zebra doesn't make it a tiny little bit better or more interesting to me.
BTW, just yesterday I had some big time fun sound design session with ACE. Man did I have a blast! Will soon have the same fun again with Zebra, too. :wink:

djshire wrote:No piece of software will rival the feel of twiddling knobs
Absolutely!
djshire wrote:nor the sound of true analog.
Blind test!
Really, I would be interested to hear how close Diva is really to the real things.

Though this question has rather popcorn character to me as I simply enjoy Diva a lot. And I wouldn't replace it with hardware, not even for free. I just like to play that MS-20 polyphonic and have 10 of those Junos in my track. And those MiniMoog pads are gorgeous. And those MiniMoog stacks with tons of voices just take a fraction of time the real thing would need. And I can save presets.
And ... :lol:

[drumtarded's latest sock puppet]

mcnoone wrote:Someday, the sound of analogue hardware synths will be replicated using computers, to an almost perfect degree.
It's not a question of if, but when.
The analogue sound fan club, will lose this argument "eventually".
Really, anybody with the real thing: Please bring it on! In certain other threads of certain synths that are sold as the latest and greatest these things show what's really behind those big words of 101% emulation authenticity (To me not so much. Those video comparisons often show that easily.)
I mean, this thread is a Diva VS annnnnnalogue thread.

Destitute wrote:3 pages until the Hans Zimmer name-drop.

Not bad!
There's nothing like a name drop. I mean Chuck Norris is chewing those chewing gums, so... :love: :lol:

Ingonator wrote:I use an editor software to program the Moog Slim Phatty quite often. Which category is that? An "analog mouse fiddler" maybe? :)
Yes! :D

BTW, I couldn't download your zip file...

I love U-he products, I think they are awesome so in that sense I guess I am a U-he fanboy, and I have absolutely no shame in saying so!

Never really got into Ace but Zebra & Diva kick ass. And then there's the Uhbik bundle- amazing creative potential.

But at risk of veering this thread off topic again I refer to the original post.....

having spent some time with it yes as far as I am concerned I think Diva shows that software can sound as good as hardware. In my opinion it raises the bar and U-he have pushed things forward with this product. The next generation of soft synths has arrived.

This is of course just my opinion

:)

izonin wrote:Diva is a u-he product, but the sound engine wasn't designed by Urs. The osc's and filters are the work of his new genius employee. That guy knows what he's doing.
Hm, try to apply this genius philosophy to some other software companies. Like this: "Oh, that XYZ company is totally stupid because they hired a skilled developer! How uncool..."
You know, dropping the fanboi card is one thing. And being clever while doing so is another one.

mcnoone wrote:
izonin wrote:Diva is a u-he product, but the sound engine wasn't designed by Urs. The osc's and filters are the work of his new genius employee. That guy knows what he's doing.
:uhuhuh:
Urs wrote:Clemens. cheppner. Chek the about page on our website

He implemented the technology behind Diva's oscillators and filters.

Howard provides for "analogue knowledge" and ears.

I did the fx and the user interface design.

Urs

Kruddler wrote:I often feel like I'm cheating by using VA synths, and I'm always afraid that some other producer with a good ear will call me out and say "Hey! You're just using a cheap-ass VA synth! - How dare you promote your music in the same league as people who own real analog synths!"
This is your main problem. Work on that instead of obsessing over minute details no one really gives a shit about.

jupiter8 wrote:
Kruddler wrote:I often feel like I'm cheating by using VA synths, and I'm always afraid that some other producer with a good ear will call me out and say "Hey! You're just using a cheap-ass VA synth! - How dare you promote your music in the same league as people who own real analog synths!"
This is your main problem. Work on that instead of obsessing over minute details no one really gives a shit about.
Good ears and a cheap-ass are minute details? :-o

:hihi:

chacka wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:
Good ears and a cheap-ass are minute details? :-o

:hihi:
Maybe that didn't come out as it should have but i needed some profanity in there.

Anyways the problem isn't the synths but the insecurities. Work on that and he'd not only be a better musician but a better person as well. WINNING!

jupiter8 wrote:Maybe that didn't come out as it should have but i needed some profanity in there.

Anyways the problem isn't the synths but the insecurities. Work on that and he'd not only be a better musician but a better person as well. WINNING!
Oh, thanx. It absolutely came across like that. As it seems my joke came across to you as being cheap and dumb but I simply agreed to your post while laughing. Sometimes the truth is easier swallowed while having a smile on your face. Was that serious enough? :)

chacka wrote:
Really, that Hans Zimmer uses Zebra doesn't make it a tiny little bit better or more interesting to me.
Nor did I (or anyone else) say it does or that it should interest you more. I mentioned it solely as one example of fitting in with other instruments because one poster implied that it does not do so well. Just cause a person finds it does not fit well for their uses, does not then mean that is necessarily a general characteristic of the synth.

Return to “Instruments”