Steinberg Padshop

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What a silly concept it is to offer a Granular synthesis Plug-In with no sample import. It's like selling a car without a tank for the gasoline...

No, it's like selling a car that only works the gasoline that they sell. They will release expansion packs with new samples. That's why it's so cheap.

standalone wrote:No, it's like selling a car that only works the gasoline that they sell. They will release expansion packs with new samples. That's why it's so cheap.
yes i expect that too otherwise why should they make it so cheap?
i dont expect them to be so nice on this market...

No sample import..:roll: oh well, saved myself €50 then. Looked so promising though.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

I really like pads, but I have komplete 6 and I love Absynth 5, do you think I need padshop... It sounds very good too... I'm confused... :oops:

I've been using M-RGT's Ambitron with my custom waves for all my granular needs lately.

However the initial set of waves, although not huge, allows for quite a wide variety of sound. With that in mind I expect that, if done well, the Padshop set of initial waves may be plenty for most people.

I'll certainly be interested in demoing it - especially at that price!
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Sampleconstruct wrote:What a silly concept it is to offer a Granular synthesis Plug-In with no sample import. It's like selling a car without a tank for the gasoline...
Nailed it! :hihi:

ben_horwood wrote:VST3 only is a dealbreaker for me, and I am not going to change my host just to be able to use this thing.
Really hard to believe that they would make it VST3 only. I would think that it would be relatively easy for them to make it more widely compatible. It's not like anyone is going to jump up and switch hosts just for this. It sounds very good, but vst3 and no sample import really ruins it imo.

Let's see if I can fix that.

"Steinberg, please make Padshop compatible with everyone's host.
Also, please be so good as to make the dongle universally optional and implement copy protection like u-he.
Thanks.

With Kindest Regards,
OC"

There. hopefully that will do it. :)

Old Crab wrote:
ben_horwood wrote:VST3 only is a dealbreaker for me, and I am not going to change my host just to be able to use this thing.
Really hard to believe that they would make it VST3 only. I would think that it would be relatively easy for them to make it more widely compatible. It's not like anyone is going to jump up and switch hosts just for this.
If Apple released an instrument would you expect them to make it for anything other than AU? If Avid released an instrument, would you expect them to make it for anything other than RTAS/AAX?

Steinbergs job #1 is to promote their own platform and current standards. One way to get more hosts to support VST3 is to start making instruments only available in that format. Of course it'd take more than this to make a real impact. But, the more they can do it, the more likely it is that other hosts will start adding VST3 support.

The failure to include sample import in Padshop is a poor decision though. If Steinberg are smart about this then they'd figure a way to hook Padshop into HALion 4 and allow sample import that way. Just like you can't import samples into Halion Sonic, but you can if you get the full Halion 4. This way they still make an affordable VST available which promotes VST3, but also get to satisfy more demanding users - but at the price of being tied into HALion if you want import capabilities.

My personal opinion is that they should add sample import to the basic Padshop - The best way to succeed is to have a wide variety of people supporting a product, and that's NOT likely to happen if Steinberg are being a bit cynical and trying to lock Padshop down so they can sell sample content. But, if they're unwilling to unlock that capability, then something like the above approach (using HALion to allow import) would offer a semi-sensible middle ground. Locking out everyones ability to import samples is not the way to succeed Steinberg / Yamaha. This should be common sense.

Old Crab wrote:
Really hard to believe that they would make it VST3 only. I would think that it would be relatively easy for them to make it more widely compatible. It's not like anyone is going to jump up and switch hosts just for this. It sounds very good, but vst3 and no sample import really ruins it imo.

Let's see if I can fix that.

"Steinberg, please make Padshop compatible with everyone's host.
Also, please be so good as to make the dongle universally optional and implement copy protection like u-he.
Thanks.

With Kindest Regards,
OC"

There. hopefully that will do it. :)
a) VST3 only in combination with the low price is obviously a way to promote their hosts, and
b) Their copy protection works fine for them AND their customers so there is no reason to change it. Also since it will probably support soft e-licencer the dongle is indeed optional!
Last edited by ZINO on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PAK wrote:If Apple released an instrument would you expect them to make it for anything other than AU?
They would probably make it AU only, OS Lion 10.7.3 + only, Logic 9.16 + or Garageband 6.0.4 + only, and App store only.

:hihi:

ZINO wrote:a) VST3 only in combination with the low price is obviously a way to promote their hosts, and
b) Their copy protection works fine for them AND their customers so there is no reason to change it. Also since it will probably support soft e-licencer the dongle is indeed optional!
Yes, I think that it is using the soft e-licencer approach for Padshop. I just wish they would make it optional for any product currently using the dongle. I know that some people love them, but personally I hate the dongle and many others on this forum do as well. It may work fine for some of their customers but certainly not all. I do have one for Nexus, but use it begrudgingly.

OC

Overall, this looks like an interesting product that would be nice to own, but that I have no immediate need for since I've already got Alchemy, Absynth and others.

I'm a Cubase user. Is there any chance that this will be included in a future upgrade? Or at least as an 'LE' version?

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

when saw the video and heard the sounds created my first thought was "Got To Have It".... but after reading all the things here, like VST3 only & no sample import it's starting to look more like the reFX approach.
Produce a product, and get people to pay on a yearly basis for expansion packs and upgrades. This is where I LOVE Alchemy, Zeta, etc.... although they also have expansions, it's merely optional and one can use ones own samples & SFZ.

...But I really want it, but then again, VST3 and NO sample import.....

why don't they just make it compatible with older vst hosts, have the functionality to import samples, and just double the price. Then I'd really get it, but for now I'll give it a miss. :cry:

FWIW (nothing certain) Cubase users can maybe expect Padshop to be bundled free of charge with Cubase 6.5 - if/when it's launched at Musikmesse.

Return to “Instruments”