VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

Ingonator wrote:
Igro wrote:
I will check. But have you checked?
Yes, i have tried with the plugin (not the sample) again. Looks like more a problem with the sample editing. With the plugin it seems to be quite smooth to me. I'll do another try to enlarge the sample as big as possible to not cut off any audio.

UPDATE:
Here is my last try. Now really no audio should be cut off:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3518668127 ... Test_2.zip

Sounds smooth enough to my taste. Anyway if there is a difference it not for or against sounding analog but a bout a difference in the envelopes.

Ingo
Ok, your new file! You do the same mistake already 3 times! Do you know how to make mixdown? May you please give Saurus to play till the end and then wait for 5 second more? Why you cut your audio file? Make another attempt and send me zoomed picture. Do you have zoom out there?

Igro wrote: I will try it. But you still didn't answer me. Have you used headphones? It's all obvious, no problem with sample editing software, it't just crappy decay envelope. Diva is example of a quality envelope.
Hi,

yes i use headphones and to me the Decay in Saurus does not sound bad at all and for sure it's no sign of a synth being analog or not. Many different analog synths use many different envelopes, soe of them even digital envelopes.

The question is if you observations are relevant to the question if a synth is acting like an analog one or not.

Personally the idea of comparing the Decay fade out behavior of different synth is nothing i would usually think about when comparing synths.

Anyway like i mentioned around 10 or more times in this thread i like both Diva and Saurus for different reasons. I hoped that those Saurus vs Diva discussions would finally end now but it looks like this hope was wrong. I am really tired about this now and i really prefer going to play Saurus (and Diva too) instead of discussing.
Igro wrote: Ok, your new file! You do the same mistake already 3 times! Do you know how to make mixdown? May you please give Saurus to play till the end and then wait for 5 second more? Why you cut your audio file? Make another attempt and send me zoomed picture. Do you have zoom out there?
No, i don't do another try. The latest file should be OK now and if not i'm just not interested in doing another one. If i zoom in at the right part of the picture from my last try i only see the base line now.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Teksonik wrote:
zvenx wrote:
There actually was a 'problem' where if you clicked on many places in the top portion of the vsti when it came out that it would go to the tone 2 site.....It was later changed, but I certainly remember emailing Bastiaan about it, as it was a huge nuisance.

rsp

edit:

here it was:

I thought it was just the demo, but everytime I click near your browser on ElectraX it takes me online to your site......please please please don't let it do that.. it becomes very annoying, very quickly.
thanks
rsp
Thank you zvenx. It's been over a year and I didn't remember exactly what happened. I just remember ElectraX calling home with maddening frequency......
most welcome

rsp

Ingonator wrote:
Igro wrote: I will try it. But you still didn't answer me. Have you used headphones? It's all obvious, no problem with sample editing software, it't just crappy decay envelope. Diva is example of a quality envelope.
Hi,

yes i use headphones and to me the Decay in Saurus does not sound bad at all and for sure it's no sign of a synth being analog or not. Many different analog synths use many different envelopes, soe of them even digital envelopes.

The question is if you observations are relevant to the question if a synth is acting like an analog one or not.

Personally the idea of comparing the Decay fade out behavior of different synth is nothing i would usually think about when comparing synths.

Anyway like i mentioned around 10 or more times in this thread i like both Diva and Saurus for different reasons. I hoped that those Saurus vs Diva discussions would finally end now but it looks like this hope was wrong. I am really tired about this now and i really prefer going to play Saurus (and Diva too) instead of discussing.

Ingo
Analog synths have a non-abrupt exponential decays. They have infinite decay and release tails. But it's not desirable in soft synths, cos it will eat your CPU. But in DIVA, Urs made things perfect, amazing envelopes that are gated there, where human ears will not detect it. Unfortunately, Saurus doesn't have it. Markus said that GoldWave audio editor(where he gated envelopes) not capable to make such thing at high resolution.

Igro wrote: Analog synths have a non-abrupt exponential decays. They have infinite decay and release tails. But it's not desirable in soft synths, cos it will eat your CPU. But in DIVA, Urs made things perfect, amazing envelopes that are gated there, where human ears will not detect it. Unfortunately, Saurus doesn't have it. Markus said that GoldWave audio editor(where he gated envelopes) not capable to make such thing at high resolution.
Even if it's true what you say would you be able to notice this when playing a track with multiple instances and drums and not just a single note?

In the demo songs i made with Saurus i did not recognize it and i used only a single instance in those.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: If i zoom in at the right part of the picture from my last try i only see the base line now.

Ingo
Don't worry, I do that for you. Your zoom is not-working I suppose.
First is not zoomed:

Ingonator wrote:
Igro wrote: Analog synths have a non-abrupt exponential decays. They have infinite decay and release tails. But it's not desirable in soft synths, cos it will eat your CPU. But in DIVA, Urs made things perfect, amazing envelopes that are gated there, where human ears will not detect it. Unfortunately, Saurus doesn't have it. Markus said that GoldWave audio editor(where he gated envelopes) not capable to make such thing at high resolution.
Even if it's true what you say would you be able to notice this when playing a track with multiple instances and drums and not just a single note?

In the demo songs i made with Saurus i did not recognize it and i used only a single instance in those.

Ingo
But what is the point then to market the synth this way? If even the GUI is vanished there, you can see pixels.
Last edited by Igro on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sendy wrote:
And I'd LOVE to know what synth the "competitor's VA sawtooth" was captured from :lol:
Hmm yes, I still wonder too.. :oops: Especially this page on their website feels a bit too "aggressive" marketing-wise. Why not just only keep the "vintage hardware analog synthesizer" as a reference to be compared to, instead of also adding "a competing 'Virtual analog' product"?

This alone would be enough to explain exactly what they would trying to say about the quality of emulation.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:This thread just keeps getting weirder. Can't follow it anymore at all. Amazing that this little nice but mediocre synth has accumulated 85 pages. I have decided that tone2 must make inflammatory posts and marketing blurbs on purpose. They really seem to bring out strong opinions in people, resulting in massive threads like this one. I think it's the "Any publicity is good publicity" mentality. I'm seeing now that it's possibly a stroke of genius! Plus they have the good cop/bad cop thing going on with they're spokespeople as well. I haven't made up my mind yet on this synth but I'm enjoying the show!!! And it keeps me coming back and demoing again. :)
+1! Regardless of all this talk, I do like Saurus so I bought it. All thanks to himalaya who tricked me with a real Roland SH2 vs Saurus sample where I preferred Saurus. :wheee: :hihi:
Cowbells!

Compare the name of the synth (Saurus) with the acronym DIVA (Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analogue).. they can say whatever they want, but the "competing product" IS DIVA. I was surprised at the long and arrogant reply they (markus?) finally wrote.

If you rule out those 25 sound designers who made presets for saurus, who think their marketing was "fine" and/or not pointed towards DIVA? Without being a fanboy of anyone, i read the release info instantly like it was DIVA it referred to.

Igro, i get your point. But there must be better examples other than the resolution of an envelope :P

Also, if you buy this synth you support this kind of marketing.

Bah :roll:
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:Compare the name of the synth (Saurus) with the acronym DIVA (Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analogue).. they can say whatever they want, but the "competing product" IS DIVA. I was surprised at the long and arrogant reply they (markus?) finally wrote.

If you rule out those 25 sound designers who made presets for saurus, who think their marketing was "fine" and/or not pointed towards DIVA? Without being a fanboy of anyone, i read the release info instantly like it was DIVA it referred to.

Igro, i get your point. But there must be better examples other than the resolution of an envelope :P

Also, if you buy this synth you support this kind of marketing.

Bah :roll:
+1
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Urs wrote:
Markus from Tone2.com wrote:
Urs wrote:As I said before, I wish Markus and his team all the best with this product. Our Q&A has bought a license and we think it's a good and solid product. One of the few that have real self-oscillating filters. That's a spiffy achievement and deserves a lot of kudos.

However, the marketing burp alongside several FAQs caused a lot of confusion on our side as well as on the side of several potential and actual customers. A few simple changes could correct the notion that Tone2 is referencing to us or any of our products. And then we're good.
Sure Urs, that's no problem. I'm glad to see that there is peace!
"We hereby officially mention that our marketing texts do not reference and never referenced to U-he or any one the U-he's products."

If you want we can also add some additonal lines to our texts, so it is more clear to your potential customers that we do not reference to you.

I do also agree that this debatte shound be 'STOPPED' and we should collaborate in a constructive way to create great products.

All The Best,
Markus
Hey, hmmm... that sounds a bit explicit. No need to post a disclaimer.

Why don't you just replace "oscillator of competing product" and similar with "traditional digital oscillator" or something? We use the term "common digital filter technology" to refer to e.g. biquad filters, this works perfectly for the purpose IMHO. It even includes our other products, hence comes across neutral.

I think that avoiding the word "competition" in any way is a pretty good thing. Lets your stuff speak for itself and doesn't upset anyone :)

Thing is, I only know of 3 commercially available synthesizers that have zero-delay-feedback-filters, including Saurus and Diva. There may be more, but then these won't be commonly known. And reference to "other 0-delay feedback filters" would always be a biot of a direct stab. I'd be grateful if such direct comparisons would be avoided.

;) Urs
+1
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

wave surviving with igro? ingo? gringo? ignore? :phew: :phew:
"It dreamed itself along"

again loving the show keep it comming :hihi: :hihi:
im sure 100 pages wont be a problem :hihi:

Wow man..i clicked and read several last pages to find some useful info..So let me get this right...FYI i did not tried Saurus but maybe i will and yes i am fan of Urs but..

Now some of you are trying to bitch around and tell that instrument is "not so analog" because it has different...decay..wait did i just said ...Decay...yes decay shape then other synth... I mean WHAT THE HECK?? This is not nitpicking...this is new age ultra sub level nitpicking :shock: Are we so low now? For several years it was aliasing, then filters, now we have zero delay filters now it is..a shape of a decay..or what..:roll: not even with wildest imagination i can not imagine what kind of thisisrealsoftwareanalogsound component will be under focus on the next level..

And some of you ditch because company hired 25 or whatever the number is - sound designers..? :?

And now there is a name conspiracy..

Wow man..

I'll admit i did not liked Tone2 in past because various people reported shady copy protection which was never proved btw. But there is so much hate for this company i don't think it's normal..

This is sad..

:(

Return to “Instruments”