Tone2 Saurus Teaser - Competition - KVR Giveaway

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

kmonkey wrote:Wow man..i clicked and read several last pages to find some useful info..So let me get this right...FYI i did not tried Saurus but maybe i will and yes i am fan of Urs but..

Now some of you are trying to bitch around and tell that instrument is "not so analog" because it has different...decay..wait did i just said ...Decay...yes decay shape then other synth... I mean WHAT THE HECK?? This is not nitpicking...this is new age ultra sub level nitpicking :shock: Are we so low now? For several years it was aliasing, then filters, now we have zero delay filters now it is..a shape of a decay..or what..:roll: not even with wildest imagination i can not imagine what kind of thisisrealsoftwareanalogsound component will be under focus on the next level..

And some of you ditch because company hired 25 or whatever the number is - sound designers..? :?

And now there is a name conspiracy..

Wow man..

I'll admit i did not liked Tone2 in past because various people reported shady copy protection which was never proved btw. But there is so much hate for this company i don't think it's normal..

This is sad..

:(
+1 - Wow - My envelope is better than your envelope? really? I am so enjoying the tone2 synths. Never purchased or really considered the Tone2 stuff due to synth purchase burnout... But after winning Gladiator and Saurus in the Electrax preset survey I purchased Electrax. I also own Diva, ACE and Zebra2 amongst many others but fail to see why I should take sides (other than for sound reasons) about one synth or another.
I can say however that all three Tone2 synths I now own will be used extensively in my 2012 Sound for Film projects. I am inspired by the preset sounds and how easy it is to create my own context related original sounds.

Cheers

Lotuzia wrote:
All Xils-Lab synths have zero-delay-feedback-filters, for three years now. Le Masque has inherited some of them. DCam has it too, for quite a long time.

BULLSHIT
and Dcam i know for a fact it does not as u can hear the filter feedback delay narrowing when oversampling.
at 1x the delay of the filter feedback is quite evident (like in any other softsynth of yesteryear) and it narrows almost to 0 (esponentially) at 8x.
btw cytomic , the creator of Dcam, implemented 0 delay feedback filters for the first time in his soon to come filter plugin The Drop.

0 delay means 0....not 0,1 , 0,2 0,3....needs to be instant.
in native form Diva and The Drop were first plugs around to implement it afaik.
Last edited by olikana on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

A firecracker went off, and people swear they saw and heard fireworks.

As far as filters, theoretically there exists a comparison list with various desired behaviors associated with: continuous-time sorts of calculations, analog filter simulation, filter morphologies, asymmetries, non-linearities etc.

Am I wrong that the terminology to features on this hypothetical list differently for everyone using it? That's the conclusion I'm drawing.
Last edited by xh3rv on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sendy wrote:And I'd LOVE to know what synth the "competitor's VA sawtooth" was captured from :lol:
Well, I was able to get pretty close to this with Zebra2:
And here's the patch for anyone else playing along at home: http://www.box.com/s/7ad34451fec8565db6a4
It sounds like a heavily band-rejected saw wave -- thin and reedy.

I tried the Saurus demo. It spat at my face, and all of the keys, instead of playing an init patch, just played samples of various curse words(which were obviously digital, sounded nothing like the good old analog f-bombs I'm used to). Then it insulted my family, killed my dog, and gave me a vasectomy. And the envelopes mailed themselves to the president, containing death threats.

Then I tried the DIVA demo and it brought my dog back to life and very courteously wiped off the spittle so rudely projected at me by Saurus. It used the warmest, phattest, most organic and analog sounding napkin I've ever felt. It fixed world hunger and made all of my music sound as divine as its offline rendering mode. Now all I need is my manhood back, but unfortunately I can't get Zebra2 at the moment.

Crackbaby wrote:Compare the name of the synth (Saurus) with the acronym DIVA (Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analogue).. they can say whatever they want, but the "competing product" IS DIVA.
I also immediately thought of this when I saw the name Saurus. However, I happen to like healthy competition between developers. Musicians benefit when developers try to outdo each other in delivering sound quality and performance (CPU usage).

While I respect Tone2 and own Gladiator, I don't think Saurus is a serious challenger to DIVA in the "analog" race and I can't run DIVA on my slow PC. So I am stuck with Creamware hardware synths and the Korg Polysix VST for my "analog" sounds.
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmonkey wrote:it has different...decay..wait did i just said ...Decay...yes decay shape then other synth... I mean WHAT THE HECK??
Well, somehow this is like any compressor war thread :hihi:

A lot of other contrasts make more sense to me in terms of envelopes between Diva and Saurus.

Not even related to any discussion of Diva and Saurus, not implying anything here - even most visual tools have some problems capturing some behaviors that occur with very fast amplitude changes resulting from envelopes. It's all clicks but - I can't back this up with academic research or anything, maybe someone has and if not someone should - I'd be willing to bet our ears are incredibly sensitive to clicks.

nineofkings wrote:I tried the Saurus demo. It spat at my face, and all of the keys, instead of playing an init patch, just played samples of various curse words(which were obviously digital, sounded nothing like the good old analog f-bombs I'm used to). Then it insulted my family, killed my dog, and gave me a vasectomy. And the envelopes mailed themselves to the president, containing death threats.

Then I tried the DIVA demo and it brought my dog back to life and very courteously wiped off the spittle so rudely projected at me by Saurus. It used the warmest, phattest, most organic and analog sounding napkin I've ever felt. It fixed world hunger and made all of my music sound as divine as its offline rendering mode. Now all I need is my manhood back, but unfortunately I can't get Zebra2 at the moment.
I'm afraid at 16 your manhood hasn't arrived either way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

bmrzycki wrote:Well, I was able to get pretty close to this with Zebra2
(pictures)
And here's the patch for anyone else playing along at home: http://www.box.com/s/7ad34451fec8565db6a4
Wow @ the spectrum analyzer view of that ...Image

nineofkings wrote:and gave me a vasectomy.
Hey, now you can have all the sex you want without chance of pregnancy... some people would call that a plus!

LeVzi wrote:
nineofkings wrote:I tried the Saurus demo. It spat at my face, and all of the keys, instead of playing an init patch, just played samples of various curse words(which were obviously digital, sounded nothing like the good old analog f-bombs I'm used to). Then it insulted my family, killed my dog, and gave me a vasectomy. And the envelopes mailed themselves to the president, containing death threats.

I'm afraid at 16 your manhood hasn't arrived either way. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't think the KVR filter would let me type "penis" though. Not unless I programmed DIVA to type it for me.

xh3rv wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:Well, I was able to get pretty close to this with Zebra2
(pictures)
Wow @ the spectrum analyzer view of that ...Image
Yep, it's a weird one. I used one of the most (IMO) under-used OSC modes: spectromorph. It's downright amazing with small changes in waveform points. Zebra just keeps on amazing me the more I learn.

bmrzycki wrote:
Sendy wrote:And I'd LOVE to know what synth the "competitor's VA sawtooth" was captured from :lol:
Well, I was able to get pretty close to this with Zebra2:
Yes, clearly it's some kind of bandlimited sawtooth, you could maybe get pretty close by just closing the filter on any synth... But that's precisely my point! The marketing blurb is presenting some kind of filtered saw and claiming it's the raw sawtooth from the average competitor's oscillator. Not cool. Hell, am I imagining it or is there even a bit of DC offset on that wave (the blurb wave, not bmrzycki's one).

So the real challenge is: Find me a "VA" synth (not a wavetable or FM or whatever) that produces a basic raw unfiltered uneffected oscillator sawtooth like that one! :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:am I imagining it or is there even a bit of DC offset on that wave (the blurb wave, not bmrzycki's one).

So the real challenge is: Find me a "VA" synth (not a wavetable or FM or whatever) that produces a basic raw unfiltered uneffected oscillator sawtooth like that one! :hihi:
The upper peaks above the center line are shorter by ~1/3rd ([e] checked in image editor).

Happily everything I have installed completely failed the real challenge.

Return to “Instruments”