On why Z3ta+ will never sound like a Virus (applies to DUNE also), and my growing wishlist.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

djanthonyw wrote:The new synth ANA from Sonic Academy is coming out tomorrow, lets see how that holds up.
It does sound like a Virus.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:The new synth ANA from Sonic Academy is coming out tomorrow, lets see how that holds up.
It does sound like a Virus.
WTH!? Creating plugins seems a bit outside their ken. The price is nice and the audio demos sound great!

AKJ wrote:actually only blind tests will show valid results. but even then: it depends a lot on what kind of sounds you choose to compare and how talented the patch designers are...

actually I do not care too much how the z3ta+ comapres to a virus. I just wonder why people constantly make this comparison. And, as said, I any case z3ta+ should be the reference, since it has the more powerful engine...
I have one of the original Virus A synths, before they even added any of the other features etc. Honestly the thing sounds awesome. Yep its pretty much just software running on a DSP, excluding the D/A converters. But its a very cool sounding synth, its very fun to program, and holy crap they have great marketing.

The reason everyone compares shit to a Virus is because the Virus was at the forefront, along with the JP-8000, in both marketing an actual use in the late 90s when Trance music took off (again). Everyone wanted to be that guy with that sound.

There's some outliers, but almost every touring live electronic act I've seen has a Virus on stage or else one in the studio that they use.

If you don't like it, thats fine to each their own. If you've never tried one, take a clean patch and build a sound yourself. Its fun and it sounds good - if you want that particular sound.

But back to the OP, I think he was saying he wished for a combination of two of his favorite softsynths so he could recreate Virus patches in his DAW. That's not at all an unreasonable wish.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

Hardware synth run at higher samplerates than most software synths and the DA converters are normally running around 96Khz.

Alot of people here use shitty soundcards running at 44.1Khz.
I gues you would hear a difference lol
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I personally rate Nord higher but they never got the n00b hype that Virus does
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I personally rate Nord higher but they never got the n00b hype that Virus does
I totally agree. I avoided the Nords for stupid reasons. A guy I used to jam with had one and I never liked it, but I now know that it was because of his taste in patch programming, not the instrument itself. Since then I've heard some amazing demos of Nord Leads and it made me wish I had gone that way instead of with the Virus C. I think the Virus C did a lot more than the Nord Leads, but overall it didn't have as much "character."

Anyway, I actually got a little bee in my bonnet about getting a Nord Lead 2x in rack form... but I have to say that in the end I concluded the same thing that I did about my Virus C. Nice synth, but it's been bested by software. In fact, I don't think there's a digital synth I'm aware of that hasn't at least been equalled in the world of software.

Notice I didn't say, "Sounds like." This is where all these dumb threads fall apart because "like" is subjective. How close to two things have to be before they are "like." People say I look like my brother, but no one would mistake us (he's a much better musician for one thing :hihi: ) In the same way I've found VSTs that sound "like" a Virus or Nord Lead while not actually being "exactly" one. So if you have to have something that's exact, by all means get the hardware. If your "sound" relies on it, go for it. Both Nords and Viruses sound great, no one would deny. For me, they just don't excite me enough. On the other hand, I'm saving up to upgrade my ATC-1 to an ATC-x QFS. Why not use software that sounds "like" the ATC-x? Lord knows there are plenty out there. It's because that "sound" is super important to me and no software sounds enough "like" it to please me.

It's not just that though, I do think that software has come a lot closer to VA hardware than software has come to analog hardware. But that's an argument for another thread.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Hardware synth run at higher samplerates than most software synths and the DA converters are normally running around 96Khz.

Alot of people here use shitty soundcards running at 44.1Khz.
I gues you would hear a difference lol
Virus is a software synth and even gamer cards like the Creative and Asus ones run at 96Khz

people who own a virus will have it plugged into a DAW so the output is at the mercy of the soundcard.

Return to “Instruments”