On why Z3ta+ will never sound like a Virus (applies to DUNE also), and my growing wishlist.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Being bored and on a whim I decided to try and recreate a pad from the Virus Powercore in Z3ta+. I had the wavetable sound and it loaded fine, it looked good, but when i came to the fx.....
The preset had both phaser and chorus. I'm sure both with their respective settings created a lot of the sounds, but Z3ta would only let me choose one. Either a chorus or a phaser. Then I remembered this is also what bugs me about DUNE.
My thoughts then are, if you could smash these two synth together, you'd have just about the perfect VST.
Here's why:
I LOVE being able to send the arp to different oscillators in DUNE. I love the choices: even/odd, etc. Z3ta NEEDS this.
I love the way the arp is done in Z3ta. I prefer step sequencer arps. I like DUNE's arps, but don't like scrolling up and down through notes.
I love the way the filter choice is done in Z3ta. I think the way it's done in DUNE is very confusing.
I like Filter 1 choice and Filter 2 choice. And I like seperate Q and Res for each and Link.
And for both, please seperate the Chorus and Flanger/Phaser fx. Some of the craziest sounds I've made have been playing off the parameters of both.
Thanks for the listen.

Honestly, they sound close enough. Who can even tell the difference unless they're the ones using them or they tell someone which is which?

http://www.vengeance-storage.com/AudioD ... zetav1.mp3
http://www.vengeance-storage.com/AudioD ... ss-iv4.mp3

If z3ta was on Mac I would take that anytime over a Virus, but it's not, so I guess I'll go for Rapture.

The new synth ANA from Sonic Academy is coming out tomorrow, lets see how that holds up.
You are currently reading my signature.

Almost forgot. Different kinds of filters. I'd love the creamy dreamy Rapture filters as a choice on Z3ta along with the new brittle ones.

IMO it sounds close enough so I use it often instead of my Virus. Sounds closer than Dune (Dune sounds more polished and misses a bit the rough character).

it#s very strange that the reference is always the virus. Why not reverse it state why the Virus will never sound like a Z3ta:
- less oscilators (just 2 vs 6)
- less oscillator modes
- less filter types

the list goes on. Regarding the specs you would expect a z3ta+ to be able to - more or less- reproduce the sounds of a Virus, but not vice versa.

It's not strange if you've ever played with one. I also believe the Virus has 3 oscillators plus a sub.
More oscillators doesn't equal better sound.
Filters are a BIG part of this. That's why I said it would be nice to incorporate Rapture's filters into it. For whatever reason Z3ta 1.5 can sound creamy smooth to so rough it hurts.
Z3ta 2.1 has lost that.

Z3ta will never sound like Virus because Z3ta is Z3ta - and not a Virus. Just simple :hihi:

If you want real Virus sound inside your daw there are only 2 real options:
Virus TI
Virus Powercore

All others, like Z3ta or DUNE are independent synths and no clones.

AKJ wrote:it#s very strange that the reference is always the virus. Why not reverse it state why the Virus will never sound like a Z3ta:
- less oscilators (just 2 vs 6)
- less oscillator modes
- less filter types

the list goes on. Regarding the specs you would expect a z3ta+ to be able to - more or less- reproduce the sounds of a Virus, but not vice versa.
True but the Virus has wavetable, grain, formant, classic, sub, and hypersaw oscillators (for the first two and a third to slave)- not to mention Unison mode so it is incredibly flexible. More so than many seem to give it credit for....

both synths sound great and I do own both. If you do not have a Virus it is close enough but if you do have a Virus use it. I do anyway more than Z3ta because I like the flexibility, sound, filters, and power of the Virus more... 8)

I think a lot of us would love to be able to grab the best elements of our favourite synths and create the one uber-synth :D

If I knew how to program software I'd even have a go at making one myself, but alas I have no skills in that area.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Arksun wrote:I think a lot of us would love to be able to grab the best elements of our favourite synths and create the one uber-synth :D

If I knew how to program software I'd even have a go at making one myself, but alas I have no skills in that area.
+1 8)

Cyforce wrote:Z3ta will never sound like Virus because Z3ta is Z3ta - and not a Virus. Just simple :hihi:
Quoted for truthiness!
Eternitysound VST Banks

dsynth27 wrote:
Arksun wrote:I think a lot of us would love to be able to grab the best elements of our favourite synths and create the one uber-synth :D

+1 8)
+ another 1 :D

Maybe this wish come true with the next Virus? Or Massive 2.0?

Why do you want Z3TA+2 to sound like a Virus ?

Z3TA+2 sounds great just like it is and I love it ...

Why would you want a donkey to be a camel ?
No auto tune...

I think Kontakt can sound like a Virus.
(I can think of Thrillogy.... :wink: )
*at the moment I can only think of it - I don't have 7 GB of hard drive to spare*

osiris wrote: Z3ta 1.5 can sound creamy smooth to so rough it hurts.
Z3ta 2.1 has lost that.
How was it " lost " ? What was taken out of 2.1 that was in 1.5 ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”