need a very simple daw that will run on an older xp system for my step son who is 9

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry if I went off topic with the iPad suggestion. If he has a laptop he likes, that may be the thing to focus on. That said, I still stand by my AudioMulch suggestion, and would add that getting him a mic device that lets him record sounds he can find or create in the world around him would be potentially highly beneficial to him. It would perhaps get him thinking more creatively, and really does make the world your palette. The Blue Mikey and an old iPod are a relatively affordable solution for that.

However, on the topic of plugin drum synths I'll say I still quite like Drumular. It displays the waveform of each drum, and updates the image as it is modified. I know it's good to train your ears, but visual feedback can be great for learning too.
The last version released had additive synthesis features that were quite fun to explore as well. It's very flexible and well priced. Still, I should add that development seems to have stopped many years ago, but I think it's worth grabbing it before it disappears.
drab

Don't underestimate 9 year olds, this is the best age for learning and gaining new knowledge through play.

I was writing my own games in BASIC when i was 10.

No need for the host to be so "simple".
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:Don't underestimate 9 year olds, this is the best age for learning and gaining new knowledge through play.

I was writing my own games in BASIC when i was 10.

No need for the host to be so "simple".
Good point. I agree, to a degree. Just wouldn't want the kid to become overwhelmed and then discouraged either. Learning Basic at 10 yrs old is one thing, learning C++ is another, but hey, I don't know the kid, and wouldn't want to hold him back if he's ready to fly (or learn C++). That said, I was more thinking from the perspective of how I would introduce someone of any age to sound composition. AudioMulch can be used in as simple or complex a way as you want to make it. It's main benefits for me are that it offers clear visual feedback of routing, the Metasurface provides a fun way to adjust a lot of parameters at once in a manner that encourages immediate experimentation, it's loaded with great sound design tools, and it's flexible - when it's time to think about MIDI control.
drab

I showed Live 8 (on an XP laptop) to a friends 8 year old, who plays piano a little. He picked up the basics in no time. Live Lite has all you need to get started, and sells in the marketplace for around $20.

i'm gonna put a +1 on FL studio side...

BL_Zebub wrote:anyone?
Why would anyone believe anything you say? like you know Martin Lee Gore, and hook us up with him??? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”