Diva vs Sylenth1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please, before you say "apples and oranges" etc read on :)

So I'd like to buy a VA synth, my budget is around 150€. In my songs I don't really use a lot of synths (I work more with audio and effects), usually just one for bass and maybe one for supporting pad/chords. So this will be the synth I'll use 100% of the time I need a synth. I have been trying Sylenth1 for a while and I like how quickly it can get my the sound I need and how easy it is compared to the variety of sounds it can do. I don't like the presets though, they're too trancy/clubby for my taste (my music is more jazzy/"deep"/soulful). I prefer deep, creamy vintage synth sounds over edgy, loud sounds.

I tried Diva because everyone's raving about it, and of course the sound is good. I can't really hear how it sounds "more analogue" than Sylenth1, though. Maybe I'll heear it later when I have used it more often. I think Diva's CPU usage isn't that much of a problem because I'll only use one or two instances per project (a 3x polyphonic pad takes 5% CPU on my 1.7Ghz Core i5). The GUI and workflow is a little strange to me, but I haven't used it as much as Sylenth1, maybe I just have to get used to the different modules.

Which one would you recommend? :)

Diva, because it has an assured future.
The Sylenth developer seems to have disappeared.

I was a little disappointed with Diva at the beginning. But honestly I didn;t know what to expect. After spending some quality time with her I now agree with the masses.

For a "more jazzy/"deep"/soulful" feel I'd choose Diva :)
However, if Sylenth just works better for you and does what you need just get Sylenth instead :)

Cheers
Dennis

I tried the Sylenth demo and it sounded great, but I also had the same 'issue' ie. it is too trancy, not exactly my style, and Diva does really nice clavs, horns, really 'acoustic' stuff if you get my meaning. It is an extremely nuanced instrument, it really feels like a classic synth to me. The interface actually is very simple, straightforward VA, just you can swap out modules. Anyhow I'm so happy to have it, it 'plays' very nicely, and you can count on u-he to further improve it, there is supposed to be an update that will make it much more CPU-friendly soon.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I'd recommend you get Diva if your system can handle it, seems LD doesn't seem to be actively supporting his Sylenth, not like Urs anyway.

2 other synths I'd recommend would be Xils-Lab - Synthix, if you could be prepared to learn the layer locking routine(I couldn't, it had a fantastic sound but too steep learning curve for me so I sold it) and the other synth that has a great sound and plenty of presets more suited to you would be Sonic Projects - OP-X and it's different versions...

Honestly, it kind of sounds like both would be too much for your needs. If you're hell-bent on spending some dough, no one will be able to stop you, but have you checked out the great freebies that are around? I'm thinking of Synth1, U-He's Tyrell, TAL Noisemaker... all excellent, especially in the value-for-money category, heh. There are many presets for these to be had around the web, as well.

If you find, after a while, that you've acquired a taste for synthesis, then that would be a good time to invest in something. In that case, I'd go for Diva. It's the future, quite literally.

ariston wrote:... have you checked out the great freebies that are around? I'm thinking of Synth1, U-He's Tyrell, TAL Noisemaker... all excellent, especially in the value-for-money category, heh. There are many presets for these to be had around the web, as well.
Good advice. Tyrell in particular sounds great, has a good easy-to-use UI, and comes with a fine assortment of presets. It just might be all you need for now. Definitely check it out (along with the others).

To me it sounds like all you need is the free Tyrell Synth.

If it's a matter of money, get Tyrell and ANA. Then also get Diva later.
You are currently reading my signature.

I like Diva if you want bladerunner sounds it nails it if you want 80s pop it nails it.
If you want trance, dance Laddy Ga Ga though I would get DIVA it nails it. It's not just the sounds it can do it's got a character that grabs you.
I still like to hunt for presets in in Tyrell N6 that thing really compliments Diva. Zebra is still great it covers ground that Diva can't do.

I think a lot of commercial and free preset expansions will come out for Diva I will start learning how to programe it soon it looks easy to use.

Comments like "get Tyrell instead of Diva" aren't very fair. Get Tyrell AND Diva.

declassified wrote:Please, before you say "apples and oranges" etc read on :)

So I'd like to buy a VA synth, my budget is around 150€. In my songs I don't really use a lot of synths (I work more with audio and effects), usually just one for bass and maybe one for supporting pad/chords. So this will be the synth I'll use 100% of the time I need a synth. I have been trying Sylenth1 for a while and I like how quickly it can get my the sound I need and how easy it is compared to the variety of sounds it can do. I don't like the presets though, they're too trancy/clubby for my taste (my music is more jazzy/"deep"/soulful). I prefer deep, creamy vintage synth sounds over edgy, loud sounds.

I tried Diva because everyone's raving about it, and of course the sound is good. I can't really hear how it sounds "more analogue" than Sylenth1, though. Maybe I'll heear it later when I have used it more often. I think Diva's CPU usage isn't that much of a problem because I'll only use one or two instances per project (a 3x polyphonic pad takes 5% CPU on my 1.7Ghz Core i5). The GUI and workflow is a little strange to me, but I haven't used it as much as Sylenth1, maybe I just have to get used to the different modules.

Which one would you recommend? :)

If you prefer deep, creamy, vintage synth sounds, then it would certainly be Diva.

Sylenth has some lovely characteristics. It is effectively crafted and the parts fit well together. It is well suited to supersaw type sounds and trance. I quite like it in some respects, but the feature-set is rather limited. It has no Pulse width modulation. No osc sync, no cross modulation or filter FM. Diva has all of these and they add so much if you want to PLAY expressive music like a real instrument. They add a lot of characterful nuance which can be modulated in musically useful ways. You mention deep and soulful... Sylenth isn't and Diva is.

I find the Sylenth filter uninspiring. It is good in some respects and well behaved, but the resonance is kinda boring to me. Turn it up and it gets chirpy. That is what it does. Turn up the resonance in the different Diva filters and you will hear all sorts of unexpected loveliness and much more variety of tone. You will hear beautiful non-linearities. Then add in the interplay between high resonance and filter FM and you will hear stuff Sylenth can never do.

I think one of the reasons lots of people like Sylenth is because it has a built-in limiter. It is kinda hard to make it too loud and clip. Adjust most any control and it still always sounds about the same loudness. Really good for people who don't want to have to pay attention to that sort of thing. Every preset is almost automatically of equal loudness. Sylenth is kinda idiot proof (and I mean no offense by that). It makes it really easy for the novice, which I think was a smart choice by the developer. Between being strong for trance and super easy to use and forgiving, the developer scored a hit.

But if you want beautiful, deep, nuanced soulful musicality, get Diva.

Really? If the OP says he can't hear much of a diff between Diva and Sylenth?

I'd most certainly recommend the free VA synths first. xhip, synth1, oatmeal, all the TAL synths, u-he Tyrell N6..

When you've played with those long enough to hear the quality differences between them and Diva, then you're ready to spend some cash.. Not before IMVHOFO :) Especially as you state that synths don't play such a big role in your productions.. Those freebies will keep you covered really nicely for starters, especially with decent processing..

Diva really plays like a high-quality instrument, try the JS Bud Pluck preset and just noodle around like you were at a piano. It is heaven. It has a 'natural' sounding resonance like it has a physical body. It is really so wonderful I don't think there is any comparison, if you are looking for trance then Diva I don't think beats Sylenth, someone would be better off with that synth in that case, but since you're not... and Tyrell as wonderful as it is is a far cry from being as expressive as Diva IMO. It is the most rewarding soft synth purchase I have made by far.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

If you want Analog sound get DIVA. If you want crappy virtual analog sound get Sylenth. :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”