PRODUCTS

Lotuzia wrote:
_leras wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Some Synthix pads :

Pads Atmos

and some Leads :

Leads

LtZ
Unfortunately these just sound like flat imitations of the real thing... which is why Sytnhix was a disappointing purchase for me...

Just make someone happy once in your life : Sell it :wink:

Instead of making a rant in each Xils-Lab thread for decades.
Err... this is a thread in the Instruments area about recreating JMJ sounds. Not a XILS thread at all.

I replied about the sounds you posted aren't, which aren't even really JMJ type sounds/melodies... perhaps you could post some more JMJ like examples?

All threads are Xils-Lab threads. There is no escape from the sound examples. If you see a thread without them, it's only a matter of time before it succumbs. Resistance is futile.

_leras wrote: perhaps you could post some more JMJ like examples?
I will
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

You might want to check out AAS Ultra Analog. They have a soundset for it called Angelicals by Andre Ettema that recreates a lot of sounds by JMJ and Vangelis. You can buy just the soundset which comes with a player for $39, but that doesn't allow for any editing.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

The deputy Mark II String Ensemble & more.

Cheers Björn

Eminent 310 Soundfont or Fxpansion Amber and a Small Stone phaser emulution like Artsacoustic Big Stone. This is the main sound in Oxygene and often used also in Magnetic Fields.
I heard also good recreations with the Nord Lead on Youtube and I expect to have some similar sounds also with U-he Zebra/Diva, Omnisphere etc.

Well, I still think the OP was looking for those bubbly effects and noises on the early albums. So I think the best bet is WayOutWare's timewARP 2600 for a faithful recreation of a synth that Jarre used a lot on these. There are still no sufficently closed emulations for some of the synths he used.

Let's also not forget that some of the synths mentioned (e.g. Elka Synthex) came out after Oxygene, Equinoxe and Magnetic Fields, hence fell into the later phase that features less of those bubbly bells and whistles.

Urs wrote:Well, I still think the OP was looking for those bubbly effects and noises on the early albums. So I think the best bet is WayOutWare's timewARP 2600 for a faithful recreation of a synth that Jarre used a lot on these. There are still no sufficently closed emulations for some of the synths he used.
Any particular reason you'd pick the timewARP over Arturia's 2600?

If I remember correctly Jarre used for the "sweeps" and stuff often the EMS VCS3. Because the French guys from Xils seems to have a big focus to recreate some of the synth Jarre used, I expect they will also have a EMS emulation.
For noise and stuff Jarre used also his Moog modular and there is also a emulation from Arturia available.

But it's true the newer stuff from Jarre is completely different. I would say he used for Zoolook the Fairlight CMI and later also Nord Lead and stuff. But to be honest (IMO!) the newer stuff from Jarre isn't very good. Oxygene, Equinox, Magnetic Fields... this is/was Jarre :P

You don't even need those (ie: Arp emus) You simply need a synth/synths with a few LFOs and good mod matrix. That's all. These effects the OP asked for are all to do with assigning LFOs to pitch, filter or amp and tweaking the LFO rate as you play. There is no magic here requiring huge modular synths.

However, what is needed is that phaser, as pretty much all of JMJ's sounds are sent though it. The overall sound is also very velvety and dark, so special care needs to be taken with the mix of individual sounds in your host (if the synth does not allow to get a similar vibe itself).

But otherwise all those effects can be achieved in most synths, even Synthix, which as Urs rightly said had nothing to do with those signature effects as used in Oxygene, Equinoxe or Magnetic Fields. In fact, it would be Xils' own Xils 3 synth which I'd choose over the Synthix, as that is an emu of the Synthi, which JMJ used a lot in the early days. Somebody needs to learn to spam his onw company's synths better, it seems.
Last edited by himalaya on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Wouldn't bother with the Synthix unless you're wanting to recreate Rendez-Vous.

If you're after re-doing Oxygene or Equinoxe then something like a combination of Arturia Arp2600, Arturia Modular Moog, Xils3, MTron & VSM with ArtsAcoustic Big Rock Phaser and a nice reverb (would use Rob Papen Verb myself), then the entire pallet of sounds will be available. Sure they won't sound exactly the same as it's an emulation and won't factor in the original production methods of those albums but it'll be pretty close.

andrew71 wrote:
Urs wrote:Well, I still think the OP was looking for those bubbly effects and noises on the early albums. So I think the best bet is WayOutWare's timewARP 2600 for a faithful recreation of a synth that Jarre used a lot on these. There are still no sufficently closed emulations for some of the synths he used.
Any particular reason you'd pick the timewARP over Arturia's 2600?
I don't know the Arturia one, but I found the timewARP quite amazing. Don't have it on my latest machine though...

Urs wrote:listen
Thanks Urs. What a beautiful soundset.

Peter999 wrote:That's what Georges Poropat did with OP-X PRO (the basic one) and Stringer: OP-X PRO - Oxygene 8 cover
Pretty good. :)

Ironically I did the Oxygene 8 lead sound for OP-X way back and updated it to include the delay when OPX-Pro II added FX.

Here's a (very quick!) mock up with OPX and Solina V.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37542806/Oxygene8-Hypoxemia.mp3

The Oxygene 8 preset is here if anyone wants it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37542806/Oxygene8_OPX_ProII.fxp

4damind wrote:If I remember correctly Jarre used for the "sweeps" and stuff often the EMS VCS3. Because the French guys from Xils seems to have a big focus to recreate some of the synth Jarre used, I expect they will also have a EMS emulation.
For noise and stuff Jarre used also his Moog modular and there is also a emulation from Arturia available.

But it's true the newer stuff from Jarre is completely different. I would say he used for Zoolook the Fairlight CMI and later also Nord Lead and stuff. But to be honest (IMO!) the newer stuff from Jarre isn't very good. Oxygene, Equinox, Magnetic Fields... this is/was Jarre :P
The VCS 3 emulation is called XILS3, the fully modular little monster.

We also have some very nice quotes for Peter Zinoviev, THE man, who created the VCS3, on our site, as well as from some synth wizards like Tim Blake, the guy who did Cristal Machine, and also recorded all the legendary magic albums from Gong, and is a famous VCS3 user :love:

Btw the VCS3/Xils3 is capable of doing far more than "bubbles and whistles", and Jarre's music, including its debut albums, probably also requires much "more" than that as well :shrug:

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”