MauSynth VSTi official thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MauSynth

Teksonik wrote:
novaflash wrote:interesting fresh GUI. i like it.
Why? What do you find interesting and/or fresh?
interesting = organisation, modulation column
fresh = unusual but comprehensive + colour chart.

nay-seven wrote: I would maybe desaturate and darken a little the green part , but maybe come from my screen
Great! I desaturated the bitmap a bit and it's definitely easier on the eyes now. I'll try darkening it later (that'd require modifying the original vector graphics to get best quality).

Updated version is available on website.

bob bobwood wrote: I would hate to see this thread get mired in a debate on GUI's unless it's both constructive and relevant to this synth.
What you mean is since you like the GUI there is no need for further discussion? How could the interface be anything but relevant to this synth? I'm trying to be constructive. A plugin should look as good as it sounds and be functional as well..(what are the 10 unlabeled knobs for? Why not leave all the knobs unlabeled?)Seriously can you look at this GUI and think professional? I can listen to the sound and think professional with no problem........... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

novaflash wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
novaflash wrote:interesting fresh GUI. i like it.
Why? What do you find interesting and/or fresh?
interesting = organisation, modulation column
fresh = unusual but comprehensive + colour chart.
Ok to each his own. I don't consider all the unlabeled knobs to be organized and to be honest the colors are just horrid.....in my opinion of course.

To reiterate I like the sound of Mausynth and think it has great potential......

I see there is a new version up....... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mr.bungle wrote:
Great! I desaturated the bitmap a bit and it's definitely easier on the eyes now. I'll try darkening it later (that'd require modifying the original vector graphics to get best quality).

Updated version is available on website.

Hmmm I don't see much difference....... :shrug:

Agreed on the "to each their own" philosophy. The GUI doesn't bother me at all to be honest. But, then again, I'm not super picky on fancy eye candy. I guess I like my synths like I like my games. More about the performance than about the looks. :)

That said, why not have the best of both worlds, and create a scheme for skinning the synth? Maybe something like an xml file or some such to handle the GUI aspects?

Anyway, I'm on my tablet, but I'll definitely give it a look later when I'm home. :) Also, just wondering, but are you trying to emulate a known synth, or is this more its own beast with its own character and sound? Just curious.

Also, kudos to you. Always good to see quality stuff coming from indie developers. :)
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Vaylos wrote: I guess I like my synths like I like my games. More about the performance than about the looks. :)
How do you get to a synth's performance? That's right, through it's GUI.......spend some time programming patches with Mausynth and I think you'll see the issues......

Works fine in Metro.

Does not work in Live 8.2.1 or SAVIHost on an AMD Athlon 64/3000+ under XP Home/SP2.

Does MauSynth perhaps require SSE3 or hyperthreading?

Okay, got home, downloaded and have messed around with it a bit.

Works fine (as previously noted) in Reaper 4. It seems the Pulse Width on OSC2 doesn't effect OSC2 on the first two wave types. Is this intentional?

Other than that, yeah, the interface took a little bit of figuring out, but I kinda see the intent. Basically it's color coded, so the colors of each bracket ARE the labels for the knobs. I think it's not a bad idea, but might be better executed to be a little more intuitive like tek mentioned.

Extra labels might help, or maybe even just rearranging the layout/blocks of each piece in the signal path.

I gotta say though, loving that LFO/filter. Setting high LFO really makes this thing screech (in a good way imo)

I'm thinking in addition to the Delay effect, maybe adding a good chorus would help in some ways. Or instead possibly some of overdrive or distortion effect. :) Although playing with the lfo at high settings can kinda create its own distortion which is kinda cool.

The OSCs sound nice to me too. Good crisp sound, but also nice and punchy. And the delay options are pretty interesting, but the synth sounds good even without using the delay effect. And, IMO, a synth that sounds good on its own without being run through a bunch of effects makes for a good synth. :)

One thing I would recommend: When you set the voices down to 1 to basically turn it into a monosynth, well, when you play legato style, you change to the next note fine, and the previous note is cut off, (and the glide works just fine) but when you release (while still holding the previous note) the previous note is still cut off. I wonder if there could be a way to keep the note on in memory or something so it behaves more like a monophonic synth in that aspect. Not sure how they do it on other VSTi. Hopefully that didn't sound too convoluted hah.

Great work otherwise, and I can't wait to see what all is done by the time the it hits the release candidate stage. :)
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

bob bobwood wrote:
cryophonik wrote:Am I the only thinking that the name of this synth is just begging for legal trouble?
Yes, I believe you're the only thinking.
Oops. I'll blame that on my nasty head cold. :D
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The sound is very impressive, but I relly dislike the GUI.

Vaylos wrote:Works fine (as previously noted) in Reaper 4. It seems the Pulse Width on OSC2 doesn't effect OSC2 on the first two wave types. Is this intentional?
For now this is intentional. The original plan was to make a single saw->triangle->ramp waveform, but I haven't been able to make it completely alias-free yet. But I'll keep trying!
Vaylos wrote: Other than that, yeah, the interface took a little bit of figuring out, but I kinda see the intent. Basically it's color coded, so the colors of each bracket ARE the labels for the knobs. I think it's not a bad idea, but might be better executed to be a little more intuitive like tek mentioned.

Extra labels might help, or maybe even just rearranging the layout/blocks of each piece in the signal path.
Yep, you can see the source of the modulation from the color, and the destination from the arrows. Modwheel controls the amplitude of the LFO.
Vaylos wrote: I'm thinking in addition to the Delay effect, maybe adding a good chorus would help in some ways. Or instead possibly some of overdrive or distortion effect. :) Although playing with the lfo at high settings can kinda create its own distortion which is kinda cool.
You can use the delay as chorus effect if you set short delay time and use healthy doses of modulation. The filter can be quite heavily overdriven if the oscillator levels are maxed in the mixer section. It doesn't sound very pretty, but you can get some nasty c64-like sounds that way.
Vaylos wrote: One thing I would recommend: When you set the voices down to 1 to basically turn it into a monosynth, well, when you play legato style, you change to the next note fine, and the previous note is cut off, (and the glide works just fine) but when you release (while still holding the previous note) the previous note is still cut off.
You're right. I'll do this feature asap. Prophet 08 has this problem also and I used it as reference when coding the midi stuff.

Now, I'm off to pub, so there's not gonna be any updates today! :D
Last edited by mr.bungle on Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alvfaria wrote:The sound is very impressive, but I relly dislike the GUI.
I'm open for contributions If anyone is interested in making alternative skin for MauSynth. The size and positions of all controls should stay the same, though.

HiEnergy wrote:Does not work in Live 8.2.1 or SAVIHost on an AMD Athlon 64/3000+ under XP Home/SP2.

Does MauSynth perhaps require SSE3 or hyperthreading?
There's one instruction that might be SSE3. I can try removing it. I'll send you PM when I have a new version to try (probably tomorrow).

Return to “Instruments”