iZotope Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: So, it's kinda like a spontaneous bowel movement.
And so it goes...

ajoe wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote: So, it's kinda like a spontaneous bowel movement.
And so it goes...
Indeed :hihi: :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

This is about getting a feel for what interesting users saw in Iris when it first came out, and then putting that together with what is actually observable in the type of usage examples we have now..

I'm going to get a lot of inspiration by studying these feature requests. I can see how I can achieve similiar things to what some of these power users are missing in Iris as it is now, by using as stated earlier tools like Lfo Tool, Numerology pros lfo's envelopes and step sequencers. Or just using Two instances of Iris and crossfading between them.

I'll just post my reflections and my experiments on these ideas after I've worked with them in the next Days.

I find it an interesting excercise, many of these very experienced users can inspire interested parties to try these things out on their own either in iris or other similiar tools they might own.

Also this excercise is a way to zero in on what the purpose and usage of the Iris is...What is it good at? What are the limitations and why are they there? I sense that some may because of lack of vision on the developers part. Others because they are too CPU intensive to be practical in real time usage..Others can be chalked up to simply keeping the user interface uncluttered and direct. Finally there's always economoics. Do most users really need or know what to do with the more high end Features that have been requested in some of the qouted posts?
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Shabdahbriah wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:stage 1 : attack folk just for making FRs
stage 2 : comment/respond to all FR's suggested
stage 3 : start making own FR's
stage 4 : self-appointment as collator/editor of everyone else's FR's

i think i get it now.
Yeah... IMHO ~ This was one of those exercises in the "receptivity" (to new ideas in general) and some basic/classic psychology of "innovative/innovation" cognizance dynamics, where-in one becomes the "innovator" (proponent/et al) after appropriate indoctrination; e.g. a form or manner of (essentially) 'peer-pressure'*

*among other things: the challenge of juggling (for lack of a better term) resisting/embracing the persistence of any intrigue or interest in limitations, which might cause one to 'doubt' vs. the praise in the innovations current status AND its potential by others, which might cause one 'doubt' about their (own) attitude regarding limitations, vs. self-limitations (conditioning).

(I just pulled all of that out of my ass, 'cause I wanted to play-on 'loquaciousness') :wink:

So, it's kinda like a spontaneous bowel movement.

But then, one can see the 'picture' on the puzzle-box lid... and yet not grasp it's 'elements' to any great degree... until you open the box, and set the lid aside. 8)

and begin to 'connect-the-dots' ~ yourself.

... fascinating.

Could you translate that into something er ah more understandable..

Is this related to my desire to go back and find interesting ideas, see if they hold water perhaps with other Iris users, get more useful input so as to come up with better more useful features. Or is it just all in Good fun?

I'm not easy to shake up once I get started on something. Just as you seem to be so lets get going.

What's your vision for Iris. I know your interested in being able to Import images, of which I'm not that knowledgable care to go into any depth on that?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:... Or is it just all in Good fun?
I see it as "just good fun".

Sometimes "we" (collectively or individually) have little to do, but yank our own chain. (so to speak).

You're "connecting the dots". That's where the journey starts, and ends.

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:

Sometimes "we" (collectively or individually) have little to do, but yank our own chain. (so to speak).

[2c]

Connecting the dots. I wish it was that easy. So far no real help recieved just keys and many doors.. No roadmaps to success..

Good Luck

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:

[2c]

Connecting the dots. I wish it was that easy. So far no real help recieved just keys and many doors.. No roadmaps to success..

Good Luck
"Keys and doors" ~ ARE merely another 'form' of "dots".

The true "road to success" is (AFAIC) generally perceived in retrospect. More often than not, when "coulda/shoulda/woulda", simply became/becomes "I am doing this now", and enjoying it.

[2c]

Shabdahbriah wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:

[2c]

Good Luck
"Keys and doors" ~ ARE merely another 'form' of "dots".

The true "road to success" is (AFAIC) generally perceived in retrospect. More often than not, when "coulda/shoulda/woulda", simply became/becomes "I am doing this now", and enjoying it.

[2c]

Nice word play!!

And of course the point is well taken.

I've been working with the iZotope Wood library sounds here's a track:

https://www.box.com/s/s4gchnqk1zn9qvankq65

12 instances of Iris, for sounds used in Numerologies Drum sequencer tracks.

Lead: 2 instances of Ultra Analog 2 instances of Iris using lead sounds. The lead soundsplay the same line but are are crossfaded using an automated XY module.

It's becomming clear to me that ther are really usable sounds in the Wood library. Seems like they did an excellent job. High end sound quality and imaginative sound design.

i tried iris over 1-2 weeks now and i love it but i have many problems with syncing, getting sounds looped right..... this is just plain bad.
for example marking a part from a full song and having a nice rhythm there, when the playlist starts again the rhythm isnt synced and needs to be TIME STRETCHED so the other elements fit, big bummer!

Caine123 wrote:i tried iris over 1-2 weeks now and i love it but i have many problems with syncing, getting sounds looped right..... this is just plain bad.
for example marking a part from a full song and having a nice rhythm there, when the playlist starts again the rhythm isnt synced and needs to be TIME STRETCHED so the other elements fit, big bummer!
Seems like a strange problem. Can you check the looped section in another sampler to rule out that issue?

If you are using RT modus instead of resample then the pitch will change put the speed of events within the loop should remain the same.

My thought is either the loop is a little bit off in length. Or possibly the rrot note is set wrong.

Such syncronization issues are extremely irritating I hope you get it sorted as soon as possible!

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Caine123 wrote:i tried iris over 1-2 weeks now and i love it but i have many problems with syncing, getting sounds looped right..... this is just plain bad.
Seems like a strange problem. Can you check the looped section in another sampler to rule out that issue?

If you are using RT modus instead of resample then the pitch will change put the speed of events within the loop should remain the same.

My thought is either the loop is a little bit off in length. Or possibly the rrot note is set wrong.

Such syncronization issues are extremely irritating I hope you get it sorted as soon as possible!
thanks for your reply, i think thats the problem without the time stretching, or if im wrong please correct me as im no pro at all!

for example you mark a portion in iris and make another instance of iris with another portion selected but free marker, both are of course in a different length, say your project is 120 bpms, both sounds dont end at the same time and loop again, thats heavily needed for synced/rhythmical pattern work, say you want to have something stretched, of course the smaller the portion it needs more stretched and gets artifacts i guess, i can do that with granular synthesis in alchemy but it would be AWESOME to have this somehow in iris if thats possible technically.

if needed i can post some examples :). audio examples.

I'd just cut to the chase and make my short sample segment 1/2 as short as the longer segment then just trigger it to play in time.

Short segments are easier to syncronize.

Then work your way up to longer segments.

New Track using Iris, 14 instances, 12 with sounds from the Wood bank, and 2 using sounds from the Factory Library's Lead Category. As well as 2 instances of Ultra Analog.

I've used effects on the lead composite Four UHBIK G granular effects and a small amount of Valhalla Room Reverb. All these elements are mixed together using an XY controlled automation in Numerology Pro 3. The fours Synths Granulated output is crossfaded with their dry ungranulated sounds, and then sent into the Valhalla Room reverb with a conservative mix and decay time.

The 12 sounds from the Wood bank are mixed using 3 XY control modules automated as well as reverbs with mix automation. three sub groups of four sounds are automixed using and XY modules as well as there being Lfo conrol of the Reverbs Mix amount.

It's a sound sensation type of mix. Perhaps all the sounds aren't even heard in this exerpt or perhaps some sounds are very quiet in the mix. I don't know what the meaning of it all is the remains from a sonic exploration perhaps. It's a series of timbres doing a dance in the night. One strange wood library sound has a pan pipe like tone but with clattering low frequency woody sounds. I gave this figuration somewhat similiar to a flute like figure from the 1970s Herbie Hancock LP HeadHunter. This was released shortly after the first recordings of Pygmy music became known in the west.

https://www.box.com/s/xjfg88mjlxp8vwebf235

A new track using the wood bank.

12 instances.

plus the fancy lead setup described in the above post, but this time it's only Iris Lead sounds.

Pretty minimal effect usage mostly.

I'm quite enjoying exploring the wood bank. And this mashup of Wood sounds gives me a feel of how they meld when used together.

Sequenced in Numerology Pro.

I played back 8 of the tracks through Numerologies Sample instruments to free up CPU.

Works a Charm..

https://www.box.com/s/zygjeq09a6hjr5gkec09

Return to “Instruments”