iZotope Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:
Azarashi wrote:What is the closest commercial plugin to share similarities with Iris? I am looking for these vsti/vsti. My main goal is to be able to manipulate wav-files for sound design in other ways than just using filters, etc that I have heard many times before
Virsyn Poseidon and Alchemy
harmor i guess too?

Caine123 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Azarashi wrote:What is the closest commercial plugin to share similarities with Iris? I am looking for these vsti/vsti. My main goal is to be able to manipulate wav-files for sound design in other ways than just using filters, etc that I have heard many times before
harmor i guess too?
Don't forget Spear! It is a standalone application but it's a very powerfull tool if you just want to manipulate some wave files. And it's free :)

Cheers
Dennis

haven't installed it yet but so far a big advantage is preserving the tempo on different notes.that would be enough timestretch for me and this make the interesting audible difference.

MetaSynth. But it's a standalone not a vst though.

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
harmor i guess too?
Don't forget Spear! It is a standalone application but it's a very powerfull tool if you just want to manipulate some wave files. And it's free :)

Cheers
Dennis
And don't forget Photosounder, which is a truly amazing sound manipulating tool for Mac and Windows! Not free though, but there's a demo.

That said, I'm probably still going to give in and buy Iris. I don't feel that iZotope stuff is overpriced, especially not at their intro prices - they make unique and very usable s/w and their support is excellent IME.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Consider me duped. I really like Alloy and still use my Ozone 3. I was impressed enough by the demo video and trusted Izotopes enogh to buy this synth without using the demo. I know. I was dumb.

For the price I expected this thing to have a lot more under the hood. In essence it's just a basic sample player with a sophisticated spectral filter and frequency selection interface. I am surprised at how limited Iris is beyond this. It feels like a proof of concept app not an instrument worth $250. If there is going to be a V2, I'd consider that the first serious release.

The missed opportunity is that the interesting part of Iris, the spectral frequency selection, has no way of being manipulated or automated in a musical way and the selection tools are very rudimentary. Just off the top of my head: How about saving snap shots of selections and then morphing between them via a env or lfo? How about a time sync grid overlay and snapping spectral selected regions to the grid, or sweeping freq ranges through the audio range modulated by an assignable LFO? How about feathering a selections bourders or smoothing? And then there is all the stuff you COULD have done with time stretching, multiple loops, modular routing, inter voice modulation, etc. I can think of so many unique and creative ways of using the basic set up Izotopes has teased us with that it leaves me feeling that what they delivered is just not finished.

I think Iris could defintiely have a unique place in the Virtual instrument world. As it is, it's not worth the price. I can only hope that v2 comes sooner than later and that they don't charge me a fortune to upgrade.

:?

Ok.............I so f**king stumped. Watching the viddy.

jasinski wrote:Consider me duped. I really like Alloy and still use my Ozone 3. I was impressed enough by the demo video and trusted Izotopes enogh to buy this synth without using the demo. I know. I was dumb.
this

i am VERY glad i tried the demo out, because i was seriously just going to buy it outright.

i am surprised by the excitement around this instrument, because indeed - the really 'unique' thing about it has been only very lightly touched upon!

the only things you can assign modulation to are filter, pan, pitch. where's the spectral fun at?

jasinski wrote:Consider me duped. I really like Alloy and still use my Ozone 3. I was impressed enough by the demo video and trusted Izotopes enogh to buy this synth without using the demo. I know. I was dumb.

For the price I expected this thing to have a lot more under the hood. In essence it's just a basic sample player with a sophisticated spectral filter and frequency selection interface. I am surprised at how limited Iris is beyond this. It feels like a proof of concept app not an instrument worth If there is going to be a V2, I'd consider that the first serious release.

The missed opportunity is that the interesting part of Iris, the spectral frequency selection, has no way of being manipulated or automated in a musical way and the selection tools are very rudimentary. Just off the top of my head: How about saving snap shots of selections and then morphing between them via a env or lfo? How about a time sync grid overlay and snapping spectral selected regions to the grid, or sweeping freq ranges through the audio range modulated by an assignable LFO? How about feathering a selections bourders or smoothing? And then there is all the stuff you COULD have done with time stretching, multiple loops, modular routing, inter voice modulation, etc. I can think of so many unique and creative ways of using the basic set up Izotopes has teased us with that it leaves me feeling that what they delivered is just not finished.

I think Iris could defintiely have a unique place in the Virtual instrument world. As it is, it's not worth the price. I can only hope that v2 comes sooner than later and that they don't charge me a fortune to upgrade.
It would seem like saving selections and temposyncing them would be a very easy thing to do compared to the synthesis code .... :? I've stopped (or trying to) thinking that companies will release updates after a product launch to add those "expected" features.
There's so much potential i can see in this ... but it requires the things you mentioned. Take drumloops for instance, there you sort of "need" snap to grid.
:hug:

Just a moment..............just a moment........... I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit...

:o

:shock:

I swear to you, it DID NOT WORK the first time I tried it! I'm sorry..........! :cry:

How is DiscoDSP's Vertigo compared to this? I bought it a loooong time ago but never really used it.
:hug:

jasinski wrote:Iris … feels like a proof of concept app not an instrument worth $250. If there is going to be a V2, I'd consider that the first serious release.

The missed opportunity is that the interesting part of Iris, the spectral frequency selection, has no way of being manipulated or automated in a musical way and the selection tools are very rudimentary. Just off the top of my head: How about saving snap shots of selections and then morphing between them via a env or lfo? How about a time sync grid overlay and snapping spectral selected regions to the grid, or sweeping freq ranges through the audio range modulated by an assignable LFO? How about feathering a selections bourders or smoothing? And then there is all the stuff you COULD have done with time stretching, multiple loops, modular routing, inter voice modulation, etc. I can think of so many unique and creative ways of using the basic set up Izotopes has teased us with that it leaves me feeling that what they delivered is just not finished. …
But Iris isn't $250. It is just $150 until May 4 ($200 with two add-on packs). I don't feel that is overpriced, considering what you can still do with a 'limited' set of controls, as Simon (Sampleconstruct) has demonstrated earlier in this thread.

That said, I agree with all of your list of enhancements. Definitely, there's a lot of room for development. I'd be surprised if iZotope have things on their minds for Iris, but I still think it's an exciting and useful tool for 150 bucks.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

I quoted their retail price, yes. I'm assuming that is what Izotope thinks its worth. I bought Alchemy for the same price discount price when it was on sale too. How ever it is worth the retail. I suspect iris sounding good is much more dependent on the raw samples rather than what it can do with them. That said there are some cool sounding ambient and pad sounds.

Anyone else who bought the full version find their preset organization totally arbitrary?

Crackbaby wrote:How is DiscoDSP's Vertigo compared to this? I bought it a loooong time ago but never really used it.
You'll forgive but, :lol:

Why not compare?

I know, I know........I'm posting overly crazy. But seriously.......the confusion with this thing doesn't end :bang:

I can load my own sample now and with the radius setting, it's not all chipmonky. BUT it may or MAY NOT be full range :shrug: Then, allot of the preset stuff doesn't make ANY difference :shrug:

It's really hard to get a grip on this.....

Return to “Instruments”