iZotope Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried the demo. It renewed my interest for using RX2 for sounddesign. I like the Radius RT implementation in Izotope Iris. But combined with Kontakt or Alchemy I can do everything what Iris can do. Or is there something in Iris I don't see?

kiezum wrote:I tried the demo. It renewed my interest for using RX2 for sounddesign. I like the Radius RT implementation in Izotope Iris. But combined with Kontakt or Alchemy I can do everything what Iris can do. Or is there something in Iris I don't see?
The ease of use and the quick results you get from it, perhaps?

Alchemy's spectral editing tools really leave a lot to be desired. It's the one feature I never use.

Also you get realtime feedback. You can do spectral editing in realtime as you're playing notes. Yes, you totally can use RX2 with Kontakt, and the combination gives you more power. But you have to commit your spectral edits and save them as WAV files and then import them into Kontakt to feel how they will sound when played. If you want to make a change, you have to edit the WAV, etc. etc.

With Iris, the spectral selections are done in realtime and never committed to an output file but interpreted in realtime, it would seem. I can hold down notes and make changes to the selection while I'm changing all of the other synth parameters.

i think i will wait and hope alchemy 2 will have such a nice GUI and imagine combining those spectral options displayed so nice with nice granular options, please someone over camelaudio do it and i will wait till alchemy 2 ;D.

I don't think comparing Alchemy with Iris and vice versa leads anywhere. Different apps - different focus - different approach. There is no way I could isolate such narrow spectral bands with such accuracy in Alchemy, in that respect the technology ported from RX is just superior to any app I've tried so far, even Metasynth. With the display in high resolution mode I can see things in the spectral waveform that don't show in other Plugs. This makes it possible to combine spectral content very precisely, or draw transitions between several bands and so forth. The possibilities are endless, it just needs some endurance and the choice of the "right" samples/sources. The lack of other/more features in Iris is obvious but: so what?

Couldn't resist doing a little impromptu track. This one contains 4 instances of Iris, just me own patches (utilizing some dubstep samples, violins, some of my drum tracks, basses and guitars). No external effects aside from some compression.

http://soundcloud.com/ariston/violet-iris/s-vmAcD

ariston wrote:Couldn't resist doing a little impromptu track. This one contains 4 instances of Iris, just me own patches (utilizing some dubstep samples, violins, some of my drum tracks, basses and guitars). No external effects aside from some compression.

Very nice! :love:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
ariston wrote:Couldn't resist doing a little impromptu track. This one contains 4 instances of Iris, just me own patches (utilizing some dubstep samples, violins, some of my drum tracks, basses and guitars). No external effects aside from some compression.

Wow, that was fast, i just uploaded it! Thanks for listening, I've been enjoying your stuff as well over the past coupla days.

ariston wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

Wow, that was fast, i just uploaded it! Thanks for listening, I've been enjoying your stuff as well over the past coupla days.
May I invite you to the "Sound of Iris"-Group on Soundcloud?
http://soundcloud.com/groups/sounds-of-iris

Bought your subscription Simon! Looking forward to everything you create :)

lightsfadelow wrote:Bought your subscription Simon! Looking forward to everything you create :)
Thank you, I just saw the order coming in...a second set of patches is already in the making.

iris offers quick and intuitive results
thats what makes it stand out above the other similar even better spec'd tools
plus its a vst!
i think its a sound design tool so the latency doesnt bother me
if you want lower latency for live playing sample your patches!

i just hope to see more developments in 1.*
realistic ones of course based on what we have seen so far
there are of course greater features and enhancements we can think of but realistically i dont see them until 2.*

to my previous proposed set of enhancements for 1.* updates i would like to agree with the poster who said we should be able to import images too. absolutely! im surprised i forgot to mention that :)

Is there a way to blend the (potentially) three samples together, or to change the volume of one relative to the other? Thanks.

Well, by default they are all played together... so when you say blend do you mean morph between one and another? You can likely map LFOs and mod sources to the volume of each. For example, you could map the volume of sample 1 to the mod wheel of your keyboard and the volume of sample 2 to the inverse of the mod wheel. I haven't done this yet, but I'm just speculating.

You could also automate the blending of something over time just using the ADSR envelope, but eventually the sustain part of the envelope kicks in and you need an external mod source or LFO to create constant movement. Both are possible.

In my early experiments, I've used host automatition to bring in different samples over time... but you could just do that with standard volume automation of two instances of the plug and there's not really any magic the way I did it.

Those of you who have products from Izotope, how are they with updates? Can we expect to get gridlock soon or is that six months from now?
:hug:

Return to “Instruments”