iZotope Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want this software SO bad. I love it. It is loads of fun, even if alchemy is deeper..this does WHAT IT DOES, very well. I would like to have both though ;)

I am interested in combining it with other software as well, such as melodyne to try and further apply pitch manipulation for new keyboard kits (trying to avoid buying Kyma as well.)

Freezerbitten wrote:I am interested in combining it with other software as well, such as melodyne to try and further apply pitch manipulation for new keyboard kits (trying to avoid buying Kyma as well.)
Yes, that's just it- you end up needing to use Melodyne, Paulstretch, etc. in order to preprocess your sounds. Izotope has great timestretching technology, so why they didn't fully implement this aspect of Iris is beyond me.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I was initially put off by Iris's limitations and price, but after playing with the download demo I found it so fun to use that as soon as it popped up for a good price in the marketplace, I grabbed it. So, I agree Iris has to either step up it's game in terms of features, or bump down it's price... or maybe come with more of the preset/sample add on collections. Maybe all of the above. Anyway, it's fun to use and the resynthesis engine sounds good to me. I think it could be a hit if iZotope was smart about it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Perhaps we'll see an update now that RX3 is rolling out.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Izotope has great timestretching technology, so why they didn't fully implement this aspect of Iris is beyond me.
Actually, this comment made me remember that I already have a license for their Apple Logic-based time stretching algo called Radius (and it cost as much as Iris!). Maybe what iZotope should do is segregate the features and allow people to buy what features they need. Iris is a very creative tool but pitch and time alteration would definitely be a welcome add-on.

Breeze wrote:Maybe what iZotope should do is segregate the features and allow people to buy what features they need. Iris is a very creative tool but pitch and time alteration would definitely be a welcome add-on.
What features would they segregate from Iris? It only has about one. :D Besides, at $250 it's priced at the upper fringe of softsynth pricing. It would be an interesting business model you suggest but they don't have any more room for upwards price expansion IMO.

They haven't touched this 'synth' (arguably it's more of a sampler with spectral masking) since release and they haven't, to my knowledge, even so much as hinted at any further development plans. It is what it is. :shrug:

I'm a fan of spectral resynthesis and all the spectral wacky effects, but for some strange reasons I've tried Iris demo few times and each times, I was weirdly put off after few minutes only. Don't know why, I would like to love that synth but there is no way, it is simply just not for me :shrug:

I'll wait until Alchemy 2, I know Camel has some nice plans for its spectral resynthesis part 8)

wasi wrote:
Breeze wrote:Maybe what iZotope should do is segregate the features and allow people to buy what features they need. Iris is a very creative tool but pitch and time alteration would definitely be a welcome add-on.
What features would they segregate from Iris? It only has about one. :D Besides, at $250 it's priced at the upper fringe of softsynth pricing. It would be an interesting business model you suggest but they don't have any more room for upwards price expansion IMO.
Sorry, I seem to have mixed up Iris and RX3... RX Advanced is so ridiculously more expensive than the base RX, they should have optional buy-ins... that lead me to think of Iris the same way. Like you say, it could be an interesting business model: it worked for Apple... ;)

As for "room for upwards price expansion", I find that in the last couple of years, iZotope has been at the vanguard of exploring the limits of that envelope, along with Flux, Sony, and a few others...

I dont like Iris, is a complex synth. for edm:(

I have watched this (Luftrum video)and it sounds great. I am going to email izotope with some ideas. :D
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Freezerbitten wrote:I want this software SO bad. I love it. It is loads of fun, even if alchemy is deeper..this does WHAT IT DOES, very well. I would like to have both though ;)
I have Alchemy and Iris. If I had to pick one, it would be Alchemy. But I really like Iris and if they update it with more features it will be great.
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

iZotope Iris is on sale on AudioDeluxe for $139.00, don't know until when. The final price is shown after you add it to the cart.

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope-iris

alexfalcao wrote:iZotope Iris is on sale on AudioDeluxe for $139.00, don't know until when. The final price is shown after you add it to the cart.

http://audiodeluxe.com/products/izotope-iris
No brainer.

So I just bought it. And so far, I'm having a lot of fun with it. When I went through the factory patches, I was a bit put off -- a lot of them sounded awfully "cinema-y", and not in a good way. Then I realized what the problem was: they're drowning in reverb. So I've been going through and turning the reverb down on a lot of them, and now I'm starting to hear with this thing can do. I've only done a few patches of my own so far; haven't had enough time with it yet.

I discovered one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here: you can do spectral selection on the sub layer.

My initial impressions so far is that it's a good tool that produces interesting results very quickly, and I need to bring some things down to the basement and hit them to make new samples. :D

Return to “Instruments”