The end of Albino

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simonden wrote:
bronxsound wrote:maybe an idiotic idea but if Albino will not be supported and it won't be continued in any other way (ie Albino 4) maybe it would be possible to set it as a free thing.
i have my license so it's not a wishful thinking from my end but considering that it is a "classic"...
anyway just a thought...
That is a fantastic way of p1&*ing off your customers that have just paid €150 for it!
i know better ways of doing that by eg ending updating cycle at version x.2 and making version y.0 as a payable update :)

anyway i wouldn't mind if it would happen even i've spent money on A3

Albino3 will continue to work, also if sales stopped and the end of this year.
Linplug will provide two years service, to keep it running. That is what they told me.

There are gross-grades to Predator and also to Linplug his new flagship once released.

At the end of 2014 we see how things are going.
If there is still demand for Albino3 we can see how it all goes

Rob
Last edited by Rob Papen on Wed May 09, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.robpapen.com

"Inspiration SoundWare"

Albino 4 ? :hihi: :hihi:

LeVzi wrote:Albino 4 ? :hihi: :hihi:
4lbino
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

So there's still hope that it's not the end...

Mushy Mushy wrote:
4lbino
Yeah ! lol that's even better :D

Let's not make this another one of those 'tear down the developer' threads..............
pleeze!

Oh yes, i would really like to see that. :tu:
Let's see what the upcoming LinPlug synth will offer.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

...of course Rob's contributions to Albino have been more than just presets. However, to me it is questionable how it's possible to claim ownership of ideas that are also available in a number of synths (e.g. chord memory and layering options). The filter design, of course is something different. But, when it comes to code, unless one hasn't made real technical contributions that ended up as actual parts of the respective construct, rather than formulating ideas and making constructive criticism, I think it's pretty hard to claim a share of ownership of the actual code. And that's what is the subject here. Regarding the intellectual property (i.e. the ideas) it probably all comes down to the question how to compensate one party financially for things that the other party wants to continue. However, since we don't know exactly how the collaboration between Peter and Rob has been, we can't judge what would be the rightful decision on this matter. We can only speculate (and that's what I just did, so I don't want this be taken as a statement as if would know how both of them had worked together). And, since this is KVR, speculating about things has never been helpful and it would be a shame if two of the most respected people here had to deal with a probable dispute in public.

One last remark, though. Since both RPCX and Linplug announced crossgrade offers for Albino owners makes them direct competitors. And, of course, by announcing the new synth would read Albino patches Linplug might have an advantage in this competition, since Albino users might more be attracted to the new Linplug synth, as they could use their old presets. This automatically would be a disadvantage for the new RP synth. So I don't think it's about the old stuff here, but rather about the prospects for these upcoming synths.

A solution that would be fair could be offering an import function for both synths and let the best one win then, but we all know how realistic this would be... :D

So Rob - does that mean that you're going to have a yard sale on A3?... either through AudioMidi or your site?
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

I wish I could sell my Albino, I never use it. But I bought it from someone else so pretty sure it's NFR.

^why is that? A3 was resellable as far as i remember

Integratron wrote:So Rob - does that mean that you're going to have a yard sale on A3?... either through AudioMidi or your site?
No, why should we do this?

It remains working until Linplug stops supporting it, to keep it working on new OS.
He told me that he will support it for 2 years after we stop selling it.

I advice people to purchase Predator instead. It has the sound I seek (phat and punchy) and it has 27 filter types...loads of high quality fx and loads of contemporary presets (over 3000)... the quick browser, preset manager.

Albino has a sound of its own of course. But that can be found in the new Linplug synth or his current products.

So for both, enough switching options.

Rob
www.robpapen.com

"Inspiration SoundWare"

bronxsound wrote:^why is that? A3 was resellable as far as i remember
I'm pretty sure once you sell Albino once secondhand it becomes NFR. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

If a synth is capable of opening albino 3 presets but also does new tricks, doesnt that mean that it IS albino 4 regardless of what you call it?

Return to “Instruments”