-Tyrell N6
-Krakli K700
-Deputy MK2
-KX-Synth-X16
^^^ This.

Plus
Daedalus
http://www.omnitaur.se/
Really? Ok, so I get it, these threads are really read as "name a synth that either, someone else hasn't named, or that I really like"

SQ8L could hardly be considered "fat" or "warm." It's interesting, for sure, in a cold and reedy way.

If half (I'm being generous) of the synths in this thread are warm and fat then so is just about any synthedit plugin cranked out in an hour by bored teenagers.

And OPX-99? Cmon, Peter, I know that you've put a lot of sweat in it, and you go out of your way to demonstrate that it sounds very close to the OBX in many ways, but seriously, the OBX is a 12db/oct filter, warm perhaps, fat, not in the same way that Diva or Ace are fat.

To my ears the Korg plugins are THIN, not fat. I've yet to hear a poly6 emulation that captures the sound of the SSM-2044 effectively.
Yes, REALLY. Have you personally tested Daedalus? No, it's not the best VA out there - no DIVA killer, but it still great sounding basic synth for free.

I guess every one hears differently. to me, OPX stuff is as good as Diva, just a lil different.

Korg, OP-X Pro, Poly KB II and DCAM are my suggestions.

Particularly the latter two for 80's and 90's bass funk!

All your phat bass are belong to the Funkmaster General... His Highness of Funkitude... Baron von Funkenstein.

i always forget about poly ana,

that's actually a very decent little (well big) synth

Hi...haven't had the time to read all the posts on this thread, but I heartily recommend DUNE...its architecture is built on PHAT! And its big smooth sounds are proof of it.

Uncle E wrote:
braj wrote:Why -1 to the Korgs? i only hear good things about them.
Yes, everyone loves them, I really don't understand it. The sounds don't even inspire me a little bit. I own the original bundle and will probably never use it in anything.
Uncle E...what about the Korg MonoPoly?? It may not always sound phat, but I always find it pleasant and inspiring...I was composing songs seconds after starting up Korg MonoPoly...which is hard to say about many other synths...I love it!

megapiano wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
braj wrote:Why -1 to the Korgs? i only hear good things about them.
Yes, everyone loves them, I really don't understand it. The sounds don't even inspire me a little bit. I own the original bundle and will probably never use it in anything.
Uncle E...what about the Korg MonoPoly?? It may not always sound phat, but I always find it pleasant and inspiring...I was composing songs seconds after starting up Korg MonoPoly...which is hard to say about many other synths...I love it!
I think Uncle E's skills may be lacking or his patience short.
There are ways to make OnePingOnly sound phat and warm if one was so inclined to work enough at it.
If using the Korg LegacyCell, finding yourself uninspired? That's impossible.
That would mean you simply don't like synths or something.
Some of those presets are the most inspiring sounds I've heard.
...and I've heard a lot.
The Korg analog collection does have very warm, phat...whatever that is, basses which can be done with it. It really needs the eq, and some limiter, exciter from the korg mdx(whatever it's called) fx plugin used though.
The korg synths are not as thick as Diva, but they still are great products.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote: That can be said about anything then we're down to saying that products simply aren't distinguishable. If out of the box it's easy to get "phat" sounds out of one synth, but not another, then that says something about the product.

I interpret "phat" and "warm" as being too distant from higher quality analog synths. In that setting, the korg synths are not phat. If one requires effects, then it's no longer the synths that we're talking about.

These threads seldom mean anything, but, no matter how good or bad it makes some devs/owners feel, there are noticeable quality differences in plugins.
Well thanks for the honest reply.
You pretty much summed it up there.
I think the problem starts with language and adjectives to describe the phat or warm.
I guess the "easiest" to produce phat or warm seems to be the key point.
Most don't wanna bother to seek those sounds, if it's too much trouble.
The Korg MonoPoly can do thick basses. It does take some effort, and the eq, but they are there, regardless of whether one is not capable of producing that using it.
It's so subjective anyway, and I can't help thinking the op had some other ideas besides opinions, given the title.

Regarding effects, I can't imagine too many classic synths ever have or ever will be put into a mix without some eq and effects :shrug:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Regarding effects, I can't imagine too many classic synths ever have or ever will be put into a mix without some eq and effects :shrug:
I remember playing live once with my Roland System 100 model 102. I had brought along reverb because in my little practice room it sounded cool. After a few seconds of playing I realized that I did not need it in that huge room. I just turned the send all the way down.

A roland System 100 will sound fat and warm all by itself through a large sound system in a huge room. Many of the reedy thin synths mentioned in this thread, will not.

ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote:Regarding effects, I can't imagine too many classic synths ever have or ever will be put into a mix without some eq and effects :shrug:
I remember playing live once with my Roland System 100 model 102. I had brought along reverb because in my little practice room it sounded cool. After a few seconds of playing I realized that I did not need it in that huge room. I just turned the send all the way down.

A roland System 100 will sound fat and warm all by itself through a large sound system in a huge room. Many of the reedy thin synths mentioned in this thread, will not.
Yes but that huge room is a 'reverb' effect all by itself, after all just look at the controls on any effect module.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Yes but that huge room is a 'reverb' effect all by itself, after all just look at the controls on any effect module.
Of course it is, and while we're at it, the speakers are, at minimum, an eq. Have you ever heard a system 100 in the flesh?
Yes, long ago, there was a music store in my hometown that had tons of old analogs when I was first getting into synths and I would go there and play with everything, and my first synths were an SH-101, Juno, and an Akai analog, I know there is a difference just the point that using EQ and effects doesn't count 'doesn't count' to me :shrug: not the greatest argument there I'm afraid. If a small amount of EQ and a wee bit or reverb makes a decent plugin sound suitably fat, I see no problem.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”