One-Synth-Challenge 43: DUNE BE - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE

angelremington wrote:Hey guys, I am new to this thing and I have Dune BE obviosly, thinking of entering, I just started fiddling with it, it has few decent presets, so all the basses, leads pads etc not a problem, but the drums are.... hmmmm sort of not there... OK the kick I can do something with it, there's no clap or hi hats and the snare is a bit of a mix between cheesy and marching band etc.

So, I read the rules but I didn't quite understand, does it mean can only use the one synth (dune be) and the presets that came with? or can use other presets - purchased or can make your own sounds with it an use them? Sorry if it seems like a silly question but, I just want to understand what can I use and what not.

I mean I am not familiar with the synth, but that's ok, I can program few sounds on it, but as far as percussion is concerned... making kicks or claps etc I wouldn't have a clue - so can I use someone else's prests (3rd party) or am I limited to the "stock" patches or can I make my own in it.

Thanks in advance
Welcome, AngelRemington.

You can use any preset, external from third parties, commercial ones, free ones, your own patches, a random button (if any), etc.
Remember that third party presets won't load the effect part, so they won't sound exactly the same.

Anyway it is easy to make drum sounds with this synth. Greatly easy.

Have a good day :)

EDITED: Thanks Max for the donation. We don't have more room for more prizes, lol. :lol:

angelremington wrote:So, I read the rules but I didn't quite understand, does it mean can only use the one synth (dune be) and the presets that came with? or can use other presets - purchased or can make your own sounds with it an use them? Sorry if it seems like a silly question but, I just want to understand what can I use and what not.

I mean I am not familiar with the synth, but that's ok, I can program few sounds on it, but as far as percussion is concerned... making kicks or claps etc I wouldn't have a clue - so can I use someone else's prests (3rd party) or am I limited to the "stock" patches or can I make my own in it.
Good question about paid 3rd party patches, never had that come up before. As it's not in the rules per se it can't be denied, but as the spirit of the competition is to get by with the free synth and effects (apart from paid DAWs and their effects of course), maybe best to try to find free patches or make your own. There are some articles how to make snares etc in Sound On Sound I believe, but you can always sculpt further with EQs like DDMF's IIEQ or ColourEQ etc. Also don't miss the article linked to by JoeCat above here to get more snappyness.

Thanks for your help and clearing that up, so just to be safe I can use the stock presets and can also create my own - won't use third party.

Ok, lets see what we come up with;)

regards,

GA

SKYZONE wrote: Host FLstudio(fruityloops)10

30 samples from dune vst
Every time I try a synapse plugin in FLStudio (Dune/Zampler) it suffers from 'sticking' notes - did it not drive you mad? :shock:

gamecat666 wrote:

30 samples from dune vst
Every time I try a synapse plugin in FLStudio (Dune/Zampler) it suffers from 'sticking' notes - did it not drive you mad? :shock:
It happens to me too.

Here's a link for the Sound on Sound articles mentioned above by V'ger that explain percussion (and other types of) synthesis. The articles are a little dated concerning the synths he uses, but the concepts are universal.

Would be nice if there were sound examples and less technical jargon, but regardless they've been helpful to me.

Note that the articles build on themselves and earliest are at the bottom.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm/

IrionDaRonin wrote:EDITED: Thanks Max for the donation.
;)
We don't have more room for more prizes, lol. :lol:
Eheh :hihi:

Happy OSC to all of you!
:band: :band2: :harp:

IrionDaRonin wrote:
gamecat666 wrote:

30 samples from dune vst
It happens to me too.

No sticking notes here but as usual i play something then i sampled it and then place the sampled sound/riff etc... as a wave fill into the playlist i started doing this because of my older computer to save CPU , anyway its fun playing good luck guys............

Fabrizio

IrionDaRonin wrote:
gamecat666 wrote:

30 samples from dune vst
It happens to me too.
Click Wrapping Settings button to the left of "Fruity Wrapper(Dune)" and click "don't allow keyboard focus" to enable. This maybe help.

N.E.X. wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:
gamecat666 wrote:

30 samples from dune vst
It happens to me too.
Click Wrapping Settings button to the left of "Fruity Wrapper(Dune)" and click "don't allow keyboard focus" to enable. This maybe help.
I did that long time ago, when using the DVD version of Dune BE. And still the same. But don't worry, it is not a big issue.

Thanks and have a good day :)

Yo its Loris

Made a quick tune with Dune.

Song is called Letting Go

12 instances of dune in FL Studio

2 instances of TAL Reverb 3

Host equalizer used on master and on one instance of Dune mostly.

Song is not finished completely ( needs a lot of mastering - that snare is awful) but I prob wont have enough time to finish it, so I posted what I have.

Here is the link

http://soundcloud.com/loris-solic/loris ... letting-go

OK. I am officially confused. This contest says it is specifically for Dune BE. I already have Dune CM installed, but apparently this doesn't qualify because...why? Whatever. I downloaded the beat_studiostarter file about a week ago, so I checked that. That has Dune LE. I haven't installed that yet because I don't want yet another Dune I can't use for the contest.

Can we please have a ruling on which of various mini-Dunes are acceptable for this. Considering the Aurturia contest allowed various versions including the full and demo versions, can we have some flexibility on what is allowed here?

Thanks...
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

And if Dune full is not acceptable, can I have a download link for the BE -version? (sorry if I missed it)

JJBiener wrote:OK. I am officially confused. This contest says it is specifically for Dune BE. I already have Dune CM installed, but apparently this doesn't qualify because...why? Whatever. I downloaded the beat_studiostarter file about a week ago, so I checked that. That has Dune LE. I haven't installed that yet because I don't want yet another Dune I can't use for the contest.

Can we please have a ruling on which of various mini-Dunes are acceptable for this. Considering the Aurturia contest allowed various versions including the full and demo versions, can we have some flexibility on what is allowed here?

Thanks...
Dune CM has only 12 row in matrix modulation, Dune BE/LE has full 24. Other limitations are the same (FX). I used Dune CM too but now I think Beat Edition version is better, and now free from Beat Magazine website, please check it.

Maybe that's why we can use only Dune BE, because it's free, available to all and better.

DUNE CM version is not freeware like the BE version, that was the main point, but as it turns out it's inferior to BE so no real argument to not using it. To be frank I was not sure what was the difference and played safe thinking no one would mind to install the BE version, but if it's a big deal let's allow CM then.

The full version can not be allowed as it has modulation effects etc, and unlike Minimoog-V does not come with a full working demo version which made outlawing the paid version of that pointless.

So notice: DUNE CM version now allowed.

Return to “Instruments”