So. How are you getting on with Tone2 Saurus...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

himalya. Some comments on your thoughts.
himalaya wrote:- does it sound 'analogue'? Most definitely.
Yes yes yes. Every time I fire it up I'm still amazed at the analogue sounds of it. It also has it's own character. The oscillators are thick and buzzy and the filter is liquid and smooth and importantly, when it starts to go into self oscillation it still sounds part of the synth rather then being tacked on like a lot of other filters.

The onboard effects are also very good. Impressive.
himalaya wrote:- the much maligned 'feedback' effect. This has a great sound if used wisely.
I need to play with this more. I've basically just ignored it since I'm not to familiar with that from a hardware point of view.
himalaya wrote:- the formant filter is weak. This is surprising as Markus has absolutely superb formant filters in Gladiator.
Yes. I thought this as well. Sunrizer on the ipad has a much better formant filter then Saurus. I hope Tone2 improve on this.

I can't remember if it's filterbank or warmverb that has a wicked formant filter in it, I think it's warmverb. That would work nicely in Saurus.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I think electric himalaya made some good points. It's a really good synth. I've been meaning to write a review on it. Beautiful character, very different from other synths imo and yes it does have it's limitations but it also has some pretty cool possibilities.

I think its worth Toen2 expanding it a little as there is so much out there these days though I don't know what to suggest.

Not at all and a sub-electraX, totally different. And I was expecting it to be just a cut down electraX though thinking about it that was a little cynical of me.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

That's what you'd think, but I find they all have different characters. ElectraX sounds different than Gladiator. Gladiator sounds different than Firebird. And Saurus looks very simple, but....it roars. I love it.

I thought Saurus was like a sub set of Electrax, or one of Electrax's four voices or something (sorry, thats vague).

I just felt there was something about the sound of the two that was very similar footprint. Something like the same compressor/EQ settings on the output?

The way the demo's worked bugged me somehow (have to restart after 20mins?) and I uninstalled them before going deep deep.

*I was quite tempted by Electrax, but Saurus just seemed to have some basic limitations in making sounds, can't remember but could have been the mod matrix.

On a side note I thought many of the presets in Saurus were really good.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:On a side note I thought many of the presets in Saurus were really good.
Yes they are pretty good. I especially liked the tutorial bank which was very useful.

Aiynzahev wrote:On a side note I thought many of the presets in Saurus were really good.
I agree.

I think the demo limitations are going to be eased, at least I hope they are, seems to be a real bone of contention.

New banks are planned, which is always good.

I've never used firebird , seems I will have to get me that at some point, seems to be popular.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:I think the demo limitations are going to be eased, at least I hope they are, seems to be a real bone of contention.
Markus wrote in their Saurus thread about a longer demo time for the next version.

LeVzi wrote: I've never used firebird , seems I will have to get me that at some point, seems to be popular.
I have it, it is a neat little synth, but I am finding I don't really use it in anything, not quite my style though I could probably squeeze out more from it if I tried. I wish the license transfer fee didn't exist, I'd sell it and use the money to buy Saurus. It would be cool if they had some 'trade-in' policy, even just the license transfer fee of $30 off a new product would be great, make Saurus $90 and I don't know if I could resist.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I don't like it.
In fact, I think it completely sucks.

Not Saurus, but this thread.
Putting a line like this in your OP -
cyberheater wrote:Please don't crap up this thread with Diva comparison talk
Is simply not right.
I suggest you take it out of your subject, and op, and stop your nonsense.
No threads write things like that, and it's just disrespectful.
You could have just as well wrote "Please-No Comparisons", but not include some synths name.

mcnoone wrote:I don't like it.

Is simply not right.
You could have just as well wrote "Please-No Comparisons", but not include some synths name.
I have to agree. People like to complain that people beat up on Tone2 but often it is the way things are presented by/for them that cause conflict. This line is pretty needless and having it in the title only reinforces this mood every time someone sees this thread.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

LeVzi wrote:I think the demo limitations are going to be eased, at least I hope they are, seems to be a real bone of contention.
The demo restrictions are so limiting that it makes it basically useless for me... It always timed out before I was able to make some sounds I like, and then it resets to square one. That made the experience of the synth more annoying than exciting for me. There is no chance that I would buy a synth when I cannot make some sounds I like. I imagine there must be other people who feel the same, so I expect that sales would improve.

mcnoone wrote:I don't like it.

Is simply not right.

Hey, I was traveling for 2 1/2 months and not online, but before I left, it was always a Saurus fanboy who would bring up Diva first, just like here... They want some of the Diva luster to wear off onto Saurus :)

Think of it as a compliment and free Diva advertising... hehe

Return to “Instruments”