So. How are you getting on with Tone2 Saurus...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

That said, the new bank has some really nice sounds in it based on the mp3 demo.

rsp
sound sculptist

I don't mean to hijack this thread but if you are not getting on very well with Saurus, send me a PM. I'm looking to buy a licence ... :)
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

if that was me, sorry, I have never sold software, I always think that one day I may find use for it.. and it isn't that I haven't found use for Saurus, it is just not much use...but not dying to get rid of it..... plus I am about to buy the new bank now :-)
sorry, but thanks
rsp

Ingonator wrote:Hi,

the new "Top Of The Clubs" soundset/expansion for Tone2 Saurus is out:

http://tone2.com/html/top_of_the_clubs.html

I have sent my contribution quite late but a few of my sounds made it into the final selection (those marked with "IW"). I made a lot more which will either released with other official expansions or as part of a "signature bank" which i plan for the future.

Ingo
This sounds really cool! Impressed with the quality of the demos in particular, but funny enough I think this highlights Saurus' quality to me more than the vintage style sounds.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:
Ingonator wrote:Hi,

the new "Top Of The Clubs" soundset/expansion for Tone2 Saurus is out:

http://tone2.com/html/top_of_the_clubs.html

I have sent my contribution quite late but a few of my sounds made it into the final selection (those marked with "IW"). I made a lot more which will either released with other official expansions or as part of a "signature bank" which i plan for the future.

Ingo
This sounds really cool! Impressed with the quality of the demos in particular, but funny enough I think this highlights Saurus' quality to me more than the vintage style sounds.
and maybe that's why I like the demos.....it sounds modern to me..a la electraX and Nexus et al.

rsp

The new bank is outstanding. I can't believe Saurus can sound like that. What I loved is Saurua can go SO low on bass notes without distortion. Pads were worthy of Massive (and that's high praise, believe it) Love it.

The soundset gives also some ideas about Saurus.
IMO not analog and not digital. I would say it's a "polished virtual analog" :P

Saurus does not copy any specific synth (both soft- and hardware) which makes it sound quite unique IMO. Anyway it could also sound like "oldschool" synths easily.
The basic sound of Saurus also depends on the setting of the "Tone" knob in the Osc section. At the last page of this thread i started to create a small "tutorial" about the features of Saurus.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Now that I have used Saurus for a while I am starting to feel like I know it a bit better.
So far I have created almost 100 patches for it and I think it's quickly becoming one of my favourite VSTi's. I am very happy that Saurus can modulate the envelope points. This is a feature that I have missed on many synths I own. What I like most about this synth is the sound itself. Saurus is very cabable of making nice oldskool analog synthsounds with the exception of distorted sounds.
That "tube" knob is totally useless for my taste. But it's not a big deal as I just never use it.
I didn't like the filters extreme resonance first but I learned the sweetspots and that soft button is very useful too. I can't believe I am actually writing this but I think that Saurus actually sounds better than my Prophet08. But don't tell my wife that as the prophet was a gift from her :)

Here is what I would like to be fixed/added into Saurus:

-More LFO's with delay and keytrig mode.

I really love making patches that have multiple tempo synced LFO's running on different rate's and modulating the same parameter. This way I can create some very unusual modulation patterns. I don't understand why so many developers restrict their products so much modulation wise when it doesn't cost anything to add more modulators. Tempo synced LFO's need a proper keytrig mode also.

-SubOSC post filter routing.

From what I've understood A6 has been one of the source of inspirations for this synths. Yet they missed one of the best features of Andromeda, which is the ability to change sub oscillator routing to post filter.
Very useful for giving a solid body for filter heavy sounds.

-OSC 1 or 2 as a mod source.

Very interesting sounds could be had if anything could be modulated by those oscillators.

-Patch layering

Simple synths like Saurus could be taken into a whole new level when layering two patches together.
Yeah, things like this can be done from the host but it's not the same thing as saving it as a preset and having the sound coming out from a single synth. This is often very outlooked aspect.

-GUI bugs need to be fixed.
I've experienced some GUI bug's and I hope to see them fixed soon as they are very annoying.
Sometimes when I change a patch the GUI shows the knob / led positions of the previous patches. This is so weird. But I have to say that otherwise Saurus has been very stable. I haven't experienced even a single crash with it.

Hi,

like the other preset designers i have received a NFR copy of the "Top Of The Pops" soundset and IMO this is just amazing. A perfect mixture of oldschool and modern sound and i really like the Arp/sequencer presets.

With my own presets and the three commercial soundsets (two from Tone2 and one from Himalaya) i got tons of great sounds for Saurus now (around 1250 now). I loved that synth from the first minute on and now love it even more. :hug:

And as we know Tone2 this will not be the last soundset... :wink:

Almost the same amount of love goes to the other Tone2 synths. IMO they got a great combination of sound quality, features, easy to use GUi and CPU use.
Except a few components like e.g. a Moog filter in ElecraX (besides many other filters) those synths are mostly "original" and/or innovative and not based on known synths.
Not to forget that tons of additional presets are available for those synths, mostly available at the Tone2 website.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I owned saurus for a short period, and I have to say it is very very good. If you need a good workhorse VA synth you should definitely check it out!

Tone2 Support is also some of the best in the business too!

Cheers,

filter303 wrote:Now that I have used Saurus for a while I am starting to feel like I know it a bit better.
So far I have created almost 100 patches for it and I think it's quickly becoming one of my favourite VSTi's. I am very happy that Saurus can modulate the envelope points. This is a feature that I have missed on many synths I own. What I like most about this synth is the sound itself. Saurus is very cabable of making nice oldskool analog synthsounds with the exception of distorted sounds.
That "tube" knob is totally useless for my taste. But it's not a big deal as I just never use it.
I didn't like the filters extreme resonance first but I learned the sweetspots and that soft button is very useful too. I can't believe I am actually writing this but I think that Saurus actually sounds better than my Prophet08. But don't tell my wife that as the prophet was a gift from her :)

Here is what I would like to be fixed/added into Saurus:

-More LFO's with delay and keytrig mode.

I really love making patches that have multiple tempo synced LFO's running on different rate's and modulating the same parameter. This way I can create some very unusual modulation patterns. I don't understand why so many developers restrict their products so much modulation wise when it doesn't cost anything to add more modulators. Tempo synced LFO's need a proper keytrig mode also.

-SubOSC post filter routing.

From what I've understood A6 has been one of the source of inspirations for this synths. Yet they missed one of the best features of Andromeda, which is the ability to change sub oscillator routing to post filter.
Very useful for giving a solid body for filter heavy sounds.

-OSC 1 or 2 as a mod source.

Very interesting sounds could be had if anything could be modulated by those oscillators.

-Patch layering

Simple synths like Saurus could be taken into a whole new level when layering two patches together.
Yeah, things like this can be done from the host but it's not the same thing as saving it as a preset and having the sound coming out from a single synth. This is often very outlooked aspect.

-GUI bugs need to be fixed.
I've experienced some GUI bug's and I hope to see them fixed soon as they are very annoying.
Sometimes when I change a patch the GUI shows the knob / led positions of the previous patches. This is so weird. But I have to say that otherwise Saurus has been very stable. I haven't experienced even a single crash with it.
Seems like most of the things you want are available in ElectraX. It seems from my testing that most Saurus sounds can be done with ElectraX (if not all) and ElectraX is much more versatile. I think if you stick to the VA components of ElectraX and less with the wavtables and digital stuff, you've got a similar sound to Saurus. I think ElectraX has a great feature set. I owned it once but it had some weird hiccups until V1.2 which fixed all the things that bugged me about it. Now I'm debating picking it up again. Such a great mix of simplicity and versatility. Can't see the point of Saurus if you have ElectraX really.

Ingonator wrote:
satYatunes wrote:oh.. did I miss the announcement somewhere? most of my presets made it. It really is a great soundset and shows the power of this plugin.
here it is:
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1201.0
Ingo
Thank you very much Ingo. It showed up little after my post.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

I have ElectraX (it's my favourite synth at the moment). But I would have to say that to my ears these two don't sound the same. I am not able to get the same kind of "vintage" tones out ElectraX that I get from Saurus.
ElectraX might have more modulators but it's easier to get a good sound out of Saurus. ElectraX also can't do unison the same way Saurus does. Anyways, I don't see a problem in having them both in my toolset ;)

filter303 wrote:I have ElectraX (it's my favourite synth at the moment). But I would have to say that to my ears these two don't sound the same. I am not able to get the same kind of "vintage" tones out ElectraX that I get from Saurus.
ElectraX might have more modulators but it's easier to get a good sound out of Saurus. ElectraX also can't do unison the same way Saurus does. Anyways, I don't see a problem in having them both in my toolset ;)
Oh yes I forgot unison. I don't like unison sounds much so I forgot that. But with 4 layers, it doesn't miss stacked sounds much. Have you heard the vintage soundset for ElectraX? I think it can do vintage pretty well too, but it's easier to veer off the vintage vibe with ElectraX than Saurus I guess. I do understand what you're saying though. I like synths with limitations as well that keep the sound within a certain range.

Saurus on a mac is too annoying though. You have to click the waveform boxes one at a time to cycle through the full set of waveforms, same for any selector (filter types, lfo's). Makes it far too annoying to try different types.

Return to “Instruments”