Mach Five 3- next level s**t

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GospelMusicians wrote:3. More scripting flexibility in wallpaper: 720x480
Only in width. Kontakt 5: 632x540 (not counting the instrument header and tab area, which is additional 93 px)

;)
GospelMusicians wrote:Obviously, there are K5 Player libraries, but you can count on maybe two hands how many developers can actually do a Kontakt Player library for reasons I cannot disclose.
There are quite a lot Kontakt Player libraries out there from a great variety of developers (more than two hands are to be counted there)... This is the area MF3 has to catch up to be even more competitive. Especially in price.

EvilDragon wrote:Only in width.
Well, that's what she really wants, after all.

:D :D

otristan wrote:Hi,

If you got some step to reproduce, I would gladly have a look.
Please check that you're using 3.1.1 though.

FWIW, we have an update in preparation which fix couples of issues, so yours might be already in it.

Thanks !
Hi Olivier

Thanks for your reply , and sorry for my late response.

Fortunately just by moaning publicly about my issues they seem to be much improved : )
I spent a while trying to reproduce the Stepline issue but was unable to make it reliably be unreliable. Sometimes, if you spend long enough with it, for no accountable reason ( that I can see ) it just stops working, but thats as much as I can say at the moment.
Sorry not to be more helpful, but I will let you know if i get any closer.

thanks
Pendle

Hmm, seems pretty powerful.

They havent got a chance against Kontakt though unless they improve the marketing and education about features.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

However you feel about either platform, you have to admit that more competition leads to more innovation. Fore years, NI Kontakt has been the only game in town as far as scripting and having a Free player. Don't forget too that the UVI engine was the engine behind Spectrasonics for a long time, so it's not like UVI is new to the game as far as technology.

Like I said before, I have experienced great success with the K5 licensing and player, so I can't put down Kontakt. All I'm saying is that it is worth checking out.

I have been wayyyy more creative with it though. I guess I'm a claustrophobic, because I love how M5 can resize and make the interface huge. Everything is simple to follow and laid out logically without being cramped to a little window size.
GospelMusicians.com - #1 Site for Gospel Musicians.

NeoSoulKeys.com - One of the Most Authentic, Realistic, and buttery EP

yeh I don't think it's a matter of 'Kontakt versus MachFive' more a case of finally, genuine choice.

I prefer MachFive because of the flow and GUI. What we need now is the beginnings of new independent libraries for MachFive.

pinki wrote:yeh I don't think it's a matter of 'Kontakt versus MachFive' more a case of finally, genuine choice.

I prefer MachFive because of the flow and GUI. What we need now is the beginnings of new independent libraries for MachFive.
As others have said, I do think the marketing and explanations could be explained more. Most people think of MachFive as MOTU dedicated sampler, when in reality one should think of it as UVI sound libraries. MachFive is only a small part of the chunk.

The bigger deal is if 3rd party developers will (hopefully) soon be able to develop libraries using MachFive, but sell them using the UVI free player, similar to that of Kontakt Free player.

So thinking of the ecosystem as just MachFive makes it sound limiting, but thinking of it as UVI sound libraries with a Free player is more attractive :)

And I guess the success of that will depend on how much of a slice of the pie UVI will want when an independent wants to release a library for the UVI free player. From what I can tell, N.I. charge a lot, making it impossible for many developers to release for Kontakt Player.

It seems like a real opportunity for UVI to address that...

Sonokinetic have just released a couple of libraries for the Mach 5/UVI platform, one old favourite Carousel and one brand new instrument Bagpipes

http://www.sonokinetic.net/products/heritage/bagpipes/

As the scripter I have a biased view, but I think they are pretty cool and bring new choice to those platforms :)

Just to add my tuppence ha'penny...

I just got MachFive 3 and have been blown away by pretty much every aspect of it. I come from a hardware sampling background, cutting my teeth on Akai's and I kinda fell out of the loop after they bit the proverbial dust. I dabbled with Kontakt, played around with Emulator X2 but nothing ever seemed to have the immediacy and power of the hardware I had used. Kontakt always seemed to fussy and messy for my own liking, but all the decent libraries were emerging on there, and much like the VHS/Betamax battle, the format with the most content won.

Well, I really do think that MachFive will give it a run for its money now. I've been falling in love with a lot of the UVI libraries of late and have been writing reviews and recording videos on them on my blog for most of this year. Until recently, I've been using the free UVI Workstation, which is an amazing piece of software! So much power and flexibility for something that costs nothing. True, you need an iLok and I personally have zero issue with that. But now, with MachFive, so many more doors have now opened and I feel enthused and excited about sampling again.

But MachFive is so much more than just a sampler. All those synthesis engines are just begging to be used. This really is a sound designers dream. I don't know the intricacies of their licensing yet, regarding being able to make libraries UVI Workstation compatible, but from what I hear, it's a lot less hassle than NI's. I've already introduced a very well known and highly respected developer to UVI and they are now looking at converting their beautifully scripted wares to the .ufs format.

If UVI can get others to join the likes of AcousticSamples & Sonokinetic, and I'm almost certain they will, we could be seeing the emergence of a very useful and powerful force in an arena too long dominated by NI. Ultimately, I think the overall winner will be the end user. Surely Kontakt won't be able to keep this awful demo mode thing going in the face of such competition?

Anyway, I can wholeheartedly recommend MachFive and I wish there was a demo for people to try, but do have a dig around the free UVI Workstation, along with the free library you can get for it (AcousticSamples also do some freebies) and you will get a little idea of what MachFive is about. But there is SOOOOO much more. And check out the video tutorials on the MOTU site. Plenty of demonstrations to soak up.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/m ... ining.html

still wishing this wasn't iLok. i'd buy it if it wasn't.

whatta drag. 1st world problems.

dayjob wrote:still wishing this wasn't iLok. i'd buy it if it wasn't.

whatta drag. 1st world problems.
I remember telling myself that I would never, ever, ever in a million years purchase anything with iLok....Haha...I know!

Now I'm bringing out my first UVI/MachFive Library....Never say what you would never do...haha!

Years ago I bought some MOTU hardware, announced to support windows,
but after mounths of troubles, and lacking support, had to give up,..

From the same dealer I later heard about lots of others with same troubles
not only with MOTU-hardware, but also with MOTU-software,..

Seemingly these problems existed for several years ,..

Has it improved, does MOTU now support both Windows, users, and products ?

becourse this thing sure looks nice :wink:
HM

Re assign key to synth or sample.

Yeah so what. Older keybed mapping allowed you to route "zones" to velocity from which you could assign midi channels. Depending on your daw/host there are 32 inputs (left and right for 16 channels) You could also assign midi channels at the drop of a hat much like the way key switching works today. Sadly much of this layer/zoning from the controller side of things has all but evaporated in favor of dummy down keybed/controllers.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Instruments”