Mach Five 3- next level s**t

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

digaldeman wrote:Hey ED, since you have MF3, I have some questions:

- Can you view the code of the factory scripts that come with MF3?
Some scripts can be looked at, some cannot. For example, scripts in "Script Processor" folder can be looked at, but Arpeggiator and Microtuner scripts cannot.
digaldeman wrote:- Does it have a built-in code editor or do we have to use our own?
Doesn't have a built in editor, which is actually better. You can use your own IDE. I have Notepad++ (which is free and awesome), for example. Syntax coloring and all that.
digaldeman wrote:- Does an instance load as slowly as Kontakt?
Both MF3 and Kontakt load pretty fast over here. Kontakt is slightly slower though, but not much. When loading the instruments is concerned, Kontakt is way faster because of background loading, which MF3 doesn't yet have.
digaldeman wrote:- Are the included library instruments encrypted? (Can we access the individual WAVs)?
You can access individual WAVs but you cannot resave them out of UFS monolith. However, you can copy the layers/keygroups using monolithed samples and use them in your programs, no problem there.
digaldeman wrote:- Can the user create presets in each script?
Yes.

EvilDragon wrote: Yes.
Thanks ED, you are always very helpful. I wish NI or Motu would hire you because you always provide more help/info than their support staff.

I think Olivier is doing a fine job replying here when he can!

EvilDragon wrote:
digaldeman wrote:- Does an instance load as slowly as Kontakt?
Both MF3 and Kontakt load pretty fast over here. Kontakt is slightly slower though, but not much. When loading the instruments is concerned, Kontakt is way faster because of background loading, which MF3 doesn't yet have.
If you save an m5 instrument in a purged state, loading is lightning fast, then un-purging as required - behaves very similar to kontakt background loading.

Also worth pointing out that kontakt displays the memory used by loaded samples and not the actual ram used by the instrument, so slightly misleading - where M5 displays the memory used by the instrument

Muziksculp wrote:I would love to see you develop some high-quality Orchestral Libraries for Mach 5 v3
http://www.motu.com/products/software/msi

http://www.uvisoundsource.com/composer- ... ucts_id/40

Symphonic Insturment is way old now, it really cannot compete with the recent Kontakt libraries at all (LASS, Spitfire, Cinematic Strings 2...). Well, at least this is my impression after listening to all the demos. It's kinda expected, after all it's only 8 GB.

Yes, a more up to date orchestral library should be happening for MF3. Hopefully something will happen on that front.

EvilDragon wrote:Symphonic Insturment is way old now, it really cannot compete with the recent Kontakt libraries at all (LASS, Spitfire, Cinematic Strings 2...).
True enough. The IRCAM Solo Instruments is still up to those levels, if not beyond.

Agreed with that. Those articulations are crazy!

EvilDragon wrote:Some scripts can be looked at, some cannot. For example, scripts in "Script Processor" folder can be looked at, but Arpeggiator and Microtuner scripts cannot.
This is because they're just EventProcessors and not scripts, both are coded in C++. All the factory scripts can be looked at. Only the factory instrument scripts are protected.

Thanks for that info, mdsp!

I did the crossgrade from Kontakt a few months ago with half a mind to using it as a new format for my own sample libraries....and also because i'm frankly a little sick of Kontakt.
Theres definitely a lot to love about Mach3, its a joy to just throw a bunch of samples at and quickly get a new instrument, and I'm getting a lot of use out of the "analog" oscillators too. I've got a nord modular g2 and weirdly I'm finding a lot of similarities between the two, I mean Mach3 doesn't have patch cables but it is almost modular-ish in the way that you can build up patches using different individual elements. The fact that it does samples too makes it more useful than the G2 in many ways.

The downside is that it is a little buggy. It seems pretty resilient in standalone mode but is much less reliable in Reaper ( yes i've tried all the various plug-in modes ) . Despite my new super dooper compooter having loads of Ram I get random clicking when using the big Piano sample set ( which sounds really good by the way) . Yesterday I was playing around with the StepLine event processor making a simple 303 bassline thingy with just a square wave oscillator and a filter. It would work for a while and then the sound would cut out until I deleted and reloaded StepLine again. After a few rounds of this it froze and then completely crashed Reaper.

I always felt like Kontakt was a little bit unstable (maybe it's psychological because i've been using it from the beginning when it WAS unstable) and I hoped Mach3 would be more solid feeling , as well as more interestingly spec-ed, but so far it's not being as reliable as I would like.

Is anyone else having these problems in Reaper ?( 64bit, Win7_64 )

cheers
pendle

Hi,

If you got some step to reproduce, I would gladly have a look.
Please check that you're using 3.1.1 though.

FWIW, we have an update in preparation which fix couples of issues, so yours might be already in it.

Thanks !
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Well, I will give my perspective of M5 after great success with Neo-Soul Keys 3X for Kontakt 5. Now I will admit that I am not the scripter guy, but I am pretty good at sampling.

Here is my 2 cents:
1. M5 is wayyyyy easier to get around. Having full screen and having the Tree design is just soo easy and I find that I am 10x more creative as a developer.
2. The conversions from other formats are excellent and helps me move between SFT2, Kontakt, EXS, etc...With me making libraries for Motif, Kronos, EXS, iPad, and Kontakt, I need to be able to import different formats.
3. More scripting flexibility in wallpaper: 720x480
4. Synthesis......

There is more, but I'm typing on my iPhone.

With all that said, I have about 2-3 libraries in the works for M5 and I can sooooo easily bust out libraries so easily.

We shall see soon, how my customers receive the iLok thing, but for those that don't own K5, it is a matter of $50 iLok vs. $300 k5
GospelMusicians.com - #1 Site for Gospel Musicians.

NeoSoulKeys.com - One of the Most Authentic, Realistic, and buttery EP

GospelMusicians wrote:
We shall see soon, how my customers receive the iLok thing, but for those that don't own K5, it is a matter of $50 iLok vs. $300 k5
plus the cost of M5 v3 :D

dayjob wrote:
GospelMusicians wrote:
plus the cost of M5 v3 :D
Remember for a regular user who buys an encoded library, they can use the Free UVI player. The developer has to buy MachFive 3, but to the user the player is free. So cost wise it is a matter of $50 ilok vs $300 K5. Obviously, there are K5 Plaer libraries, but you can count on maybe two hands how many developers can actually do a Kontakt Player library for reasons I cannot disclose.
GospelMusicians.com - #1 Site for Gospel Musicians.

NeoSoulKeys.com - One of the Most Authentic, Realistic, and buttery EP

Return to “Instruments”