Mach Five 3- next level s**t

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mach3 is great, for example, get a snare sample, add another layer with a noise oscillator to add more sizzle. Add a sine osc to a bassdrum sample to add more punch. The synthesis within within the sampler offers alot of sound design enhancements and possibilities. It's almost like Omnisphere with sampler.
Cowbells!

iLok required kills it for me and my laptop. Ain't gonna do it!

I just upgraded my Modartt Pianoteq to V4...you get 3 authorizations and NO iLok. Now that's how I like to roll!

I'll chose Ilok before C/R - anytime.
Cowbells!

Groove3 tutorial is excellent.

digaldeman wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:... you can insert scripts at any level in the instrument...
What do you mean by at any level? Can you give us an example?

Yes. In Kontakt, you only get 5 instrument script slots and 5 multi script slots. In MachFive 3, you're not limited in slot number at all, and you can insert a script anywhere - at part level (multi), at program level (instrument), at layer level (group), at keygroup (zone) level. Talk about flexibility! Scripting in MF3 is also floating point and not integer like KSP, and supports true functions.
digaldeman wrote:I would love to load a script and change the sound sources without affecting the script. For example, if I loaded an arp script, I would love to be able to audition other instruments/sounds without losing the arp.
I think this is possible if the arp is loaded at part level. I gotta try it, though.
digaldeman wrote:BTW, have you watched the Groove3 tutorial on MachFive? Is it any good.
I didn't, the manual is very good.
johnnyvn wrote:iLok required kills it for me and my laptop. Ain't gonna do it!

I just upgraded my Modartt Pianoteq to V4...you get 3 authorizations and NO iLok. Now that's how I like to roll!

Incidentally, currently I'm constrained on a laptop as well, and I didn't have any problems with iLok whatsoever.

Congrats on Pianoteq upgrade! ;)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:
digaldeman wrote:I would love to load a script and change the sound sources without affecting the script. For example, if I loaded an arp script, I would love to be able to audition other instruments/sounds without losing the arp.
I think this is possible if the arp is loaded at part level. I gotta try it, though.

I just tried this, and I can confirm this behavior. If you go to Tree view and load an Arp at Part level there as event processor (script), it will remain there even after you switch to another program. Which is great!

So let me repeat the thread title: MachFive 3 - THE next level shit! :)

Yawn.

Betamax was a SUPERIOR format too and that failed.

Not that I want to see MachFive 3 die a slow and painful death, but unless they manage to convince a boatload of developers to create libraries for it, then it aint going anywhere as a format.

Plus, the lovely draconian dongle C/P isn't doing it any favours.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

You know what would be "next level"? Dropping the dongle.

EvilDragon wrote: Yes. In Kontakt, you only get 5 instrument script slots and 5 multi script slots. In MachFive 3, you're not limited in slot number at all, and you can insert a script anywhere - at part level (multi), at program level (instrument), at layer level (group), at keygroup (zone) level. Talk about flexibility! Scripting in MF3 is also floating point and not integer like KSP, and supports true functions.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=machfive
EvilDragon wrote: Kontakt's scripting, while integer based, is much more efficient than MF3 scripting, w.r.t CPU usage. That's the downside of using Lua in MF3 - KSP is C++/ASM based, which will always be more efficient.
So Mr Dragon...Do you have a copy of MachFive 3 now ? It sounds like you are more positive about the platform that you were just a few weeks ago :wink:

I'm positive about its features, which are in some ways a lot more advanced than Kontakt's. However, I now had the opportunity to test the sound of the same sample played back in both MF3 and Kontakt set to same settings, and what do you know, it sounds the same in both! Not only that, but the recorded samples null out. So my point laid out in that thread you linked is proven, now empirically :)

On average, MF3 does take more RAM and CPU than Kontakt and doesn't have background loading (and yes, Lua scripting is still less efficient than KSP in the long run), so it still has some ways to go. Effects are awesome, filters are on par and some are better than K5 filters, but my basic conjencture is still correct - the same sample, played at root and at same volume, sounds exactly the same in both samplers.

EvilDragon wrote:I'm positive about its features, which are in some ways a lot more advanced than Kontakt's.
This is a very good start..

You obviously a very smart and articulate guy,so I'm sure that as you dig deeper into MachFive 3,you will enjoy the experience...

Maybe you can do some coding for UVI and help them to establish a more solid foothold in the world that is currently dominated by the BIG K ? :wink:

I intend to learn MF3 scripting and expand my scripting business venture to that area as well, yes.

However you seem to disregard the rest of my post, eh? :)

EvilDragon wrote:However you seem to disregard the rest of my post, eh? :)
I'm a very selective guy :wink:

ben_horwood wrote:Yawn.

Betamax was a SUPERIOR format too and that failed.

For me any new take on the 'software sampler' is welcomed and this is a fresh and exciting take. Not a reason to yawn surely?

Hey ED, since you have MF3, I have some questions:
EvilDragon wrote:I intend to learn MF3 scripting ...
- Can you view the code of the factory scripts that come with MF3?
- Does it have a built-in code editor or do we have to use our own?
- Does an instance load as slowly as Kontakt?
- Are the included library instruments encrypted? (Can we access the individual WAVs)?
- Can the user create presets in each script?

Return to “Instruments”