Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So far, the software works really well for me, I've been using it as a VST and putting in an EQ before it in the chain to improve tracking (I think my humbucker sound is a bit dark on it's own).

The only time I don't get great tracking is when pedaling notes on the low E string, It seems to miss a few making it difficult to keep a groove. I'm not sure if there is some kind of double note detection which is filtering multiple triggers of the same note. If so would it be possible to provide a threshold slider or some way of changing the sensitivity.

just a thought, or if anyone knows an existing way of tweaking this behavior it'd be appreciated greatly.

memyselfandus wrote:I check this thread for updates about 500 times a day :) :oops:
Yup, me too. Just wish I could find another bug or something. Seems like just about anything that we've asked about or requested has been added, addressed or improved from version to version. :clap:
Musical Style: Psychotic Northwoods Basement Trash

I am most excited about the "tun" stuff being added.. at the moment. :shock:

I finally got an error message after Reaper scanned for the latest beta.

It said the 64 bit dll was not a valid Windows image (or similar).

Musical Gym wrote:I finally got an error message after Reaper scanned for the latest beta.

It said the 64 bit dll was not a valid Windows image (or similar).
That's normal if you've put the 64 bit .dll in the folder with your 32 bit .dlls.

ok, thanks

Love the plugin guys! I have been working with it for the last couple of weeks and so far everything has been very good. I did try it in polyphonic mode ( albeit briefly) but having recently found a good deal on a GK hex pickup I haven been using a seperate instance of the plugin for each of the six strings. I did not want to also go for the added expense of a GR processor so I threw a quick circuit together to power the pickup and amplify the signal. Thankfully the demo of Midi guitar was generous allowing lots of experimenting for suitability before I purchased at the discounted price. The upshot of all this is that I can track guitar much better than any alternatives with a total cost of around $140.

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys and provide some feedback on my experience so far:
I tired the plugin briefly on a windows machine in ableton live and energyxt both worked fine (using ver 1.42)
The initial plugin crashed on every daw I tried on the Mac (ver 1.42 again) but before I had chance to email you guys had fixed it in ver 1.5!
The only issues I have found have been occasional GUI disturbances when running in live 7.1.8 (buttons seem to loose there skin, but operationally all is still working fine)
Using monophonic mode even on the low E, tracking has been almost negligible even playing quite fast notes. I do like the predictive setting for pitch (3) as it is very useful to ignore pitch to a degree and let each string trigger soft synth guitars in Kontakt or real guitar that allow you to set notes to trigger each string and then set the chords on a different track. Thus giving the timing of a real guitar but with the chords preprogrammed or trigger from the DAW. may be a slight esoteric usage but it is a lot of fun and one suggestion could be to add a mode where timing is tighter but ignores all freq tracking apart from the root note for the string. I have found that setting the sensitivity off for all but the note I am interested in very much improves timie tracking of the played string, something that alternative solutions did not think of but extreamly useful.

One issue I have had (which may be down to the homebrew per-amp) is that I find it a little difficult to get a good range of velocity of the output notes. When I set the input gain before the plugin and the sensitivity on midi guitar high enough to catch every note I get a lot of very high velocities on the resulting midi. When setting it for low volume picks and strums there ar some missed notes. I have found a couple of temporary solutions to this, the first was to add an evelope follower / peak detector circuit for each string, output the resulting voltage to midi via an adc and replace the output midi velocity of midi guitar with this generated velocity data. The second was the same type of solution but created in software rather than hardware. Obviously if I can avoid this extra processing all together it would be great. I did find that like most midi input devices adding a little velocity enverlope curve produces a more realistic range of velocities.

How is everyone finding the velocity range?
"It's alright to say things can only get better,
You haven't lost your brand new sweater.
Pure new wool, and perfect stitches,
Not the type of jumper that makes you itches."

Sultans of Ping

tboneUS wrote:Love the plugin guys! I have been working with it for the last couple of weeks and so far everything has been very good. I did try it in polyphonic mode ( albeit briefly) but having recently found a good deal on a GK hex pickup I haven been using a seperate instance of the plugin for each of the six strings. I did not want to also go for the added expense of a GR processor so I threw a quick circuit together to power the pickup and amplify the signal. Thankfully the demo of Midi guitar was generous allowing lots of experimenting for suitability before I purchased at the discounted price. The upshot of all this is that I can track guitar much better than any alternatives with a total cost of around $140.
This is a really interesting idea! what kind of audio interface are you using to do the 6 separate string inputs to your daw?

Thank you all for the kind words!

Here is a Sneak Peek at a few new functions.

JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

Version 0.7.0 !!! Have i missed some?? :-o

Bass Guitar :love:. I wanted to ask for it.
Already tried 0.52 with bass guitar and it seemed that dynamic control was extremely precise. Really looking forward to the optimized version.
Keep up the great work! I'm already in and I don't regret.

Merry christmas all!

utensil wrote:
tboneUS wrote:Love the plugin guys! I have been working with it for the last couple of weeks and so far everything has been very good. I did try it in polyphonic mode ( albeit briefly) but having recently found a good deal on a GK hex pickup I haven been using a seperate instance of the plugin for each of the six strings. I did not want to also go for the added expense of a GR processor so I threw a quick circuit together to power the pickup and amplify the signal. Thankfully the demo of Midi guitar was generous allowing lots of experimenting for suitability before I purchased at the discounted price. The upshot of all this is that I can track guitar much better than any alternatives with a total cost of around $140.
This is a really interesting idea! what kind of audio interface are you using to do the 6 separate string inputs to your daw?
I used a pronouns firebox, 2 line inputs, 2 mic/line inputs (set to minimum gain so they matched the first 2) and I had to be creative for the last two. As the interface had a SPDIF available I picked up a cheap A/D converter (the type used for home cinema that converts rca left/right from a Tv to SPDIF inputs on a hi-fi amp). The output from SPDIF was a little hotter than the other 4 so I had to attenuate the signal about 6db. Setting the firebox to clock the external converter works really well.

I did also try creating an aggregate device of several other audio interfaces (Mac supports this in the audio / midi settings) but the sound kept dropping out because of lack of clock sync between the units.
"It's alright to say things can only get better,
You haven't lost your brand new sweater.
Pure new wool, and perfect stitches,
Not the type of jumper that makes you itches."

Sultans of Ping

This seems like a very interesting software solution and seems to work quite well in standalone mode.

Sadly neither of the hosts I use (Logic and Renoise) seem to support (AU) MIDI output.

When I try to use it, since I only have one audio interface, the standalone version of MIDI Guitar seems to conflict with both Logic and Renoise. In both cases I have set input in the DAW to 'none', and the output to my audio interface.

If both the DAW and MIDI Guitar share the same output, it doesn't work. If I change MIDI Guitar's output to the built-in output on my Mac, it seems to work for a few seconds before it stops. Maybe an option in MIDI guitar to set it's output to none, would solve this?

Anyone try this in Digital Performer 7 ?

thanks!

Greetings, everyone! There is no way I'm going to have time to read all of 28 pages, but I've read what I could. A couple of basic questions:

What is the "Final Price" going to be? The $99.95 USD posted now or something other after beta?

How long is this beta release you are offering free good for? Does it time out at some point? I don't mean the offer. I mean the plugin itself timing out. Will it?

This plugin / standalone has been under development for a while now. I realise this one is a lot trickier than building some simple EQ plugin or so on, but when roughly can we expect this to come out of beta and be offered as some form of finished product?

I need a list of DAWs that this is not compatible with at this point. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to experiment and try various schemes and setups that some of you have. Can someone sum up where it doesn't work and what its current plugin trouble are?

Thanks for those of you who are knowledgeable enough on these issues to reply.

Cheers!

Return to “Instruments”