Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The standalone version seems to work MUCH better than the VST plugin (even at the same buffer setting). Maybe this is host dependent? or are others finding it as well?
(Usine Hollyhock win-32)

I've yet to try this in Cubase.
When I do i'll report back.

Ever since VST scanning was introduced a few versions ago, I have had very little use with Midi Guitar because it no longer works with Audjoo Helix. That being my go-to synth VST, I now only use Midi Guitar with TruePianos and thats getting boring quick, given at MG doesnt handle finger plucked chords well at this stage.

My request is, can you tell me whats going on with Helix? I am comfortable with it and LIKE it, and was using it with MG 90% of the time. Will I need to look for another synth VST? Thanks.

I forgot to post that 0.9.2 was release some days ago. We saw some people had problems with sensitivity on 0.9.1 because the range was too limited. So thats increased and also it has some minor tracking fixes.

Download server should be faster now:
http://jam-o.com/downloads/MIDI-Guitar-0.9.2-Win.zip
http://jam-o.com/downloads/MIDI-Guitar-0.9.2-Mac.zip

derivative,
I have examined your recording file with MG version 0.9 and it comes out perfectly here 160 correct notes, no spurious notes and no missing. I've tested both with our own tools and Reaper. Thats clearly different from what you see in Cubase, and I'm still thinking of what could cause this. From your image it looks as you always have only one voice active. - perhaps you enabled monophonic on this? Or maybe you run buffersizes so low that its skipping frames (crackling)?

RunBeerRun,
I would love to get a small recording from you (anything, as simple as possible) and take a closer look.

Stevie666,
Latency is dependent on the input volume of your guitar signal and the sensitivity parameter. The sensitivity is really an input gain. So in theory at least, it doesnt matter if you gain up your input or slide up sensitivity. Please try 0.9.2.
You are right about the jitter, I think its always been there on wide chords. We are looking into it.

Ariajazz,
Thanks for all your testing. Great with latency and sensitivity. We can observe the "late/wrong" note too in some tests here, and seems something that is fixable, presumably relatively easy compared to everything else related to tracking. More 0.9 updates will come.

JJunkie,
I put Audjoo Helix on out VST-to-examine-todo-list and fix is likely possible if it worked previously. Thanks for letting us know.

If you experience any VST that doesn't load internally in MG please always let us know.

Thanks everyone, for all the testing.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

JamOrigin wrote:
JJunkie,
I put Audjoo Helix on out VST-to-examine-todo-list and fix is likely possible if it worked previously. Thanks for letting us know.

If you experience any VST that doesn't load internally in MG please always let us know.
Thanks buddy

Is it still "only" made for guitars? Or is it worth trying it for electronic elements ?
EDM Producer

The new links work great on my slow connection, and here is a purposely sloppy clip as requested-https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/347 ... laying.mp3

It's Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla, Charvel 475 guitar, neck pickup, M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface.

I don't have much info to offer really, other than you should probably play less sloppy than this.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

CREDO wrote:The standalone version seems to work much better than the VST plugin.
UPDATE: It must have been something particular to my setup, because for whatever reason, everything seems to be working fine now.

I've just tried MG v9.2 in stand alone mode for about an hour and gladly have to say that I'm pleased about the improvements. Tracking is much better now when soloing. Not even one wrong or false note. Poly mode needs to be improved. Still a lack of a compact tracking of chords the way hexa systems do. Probably I need to do some more tweaking in synths and help MG with compressors etc, but what I'm persuing as a beta tester is to measure the real performance of the software in a plug and play manner, with not too much tweaking, although I know it is needed. Tracking response with slides and hammer ons is not as good as desired but it is probably a matter of fine tuning the software.

Tested MG with Rapture, FM8 and Sylenth 1 (awesome sounding synth) and noticed that MG has now more CPU consumption. I tried the software today in a Pentium 4 (3,1GHz) processor and 2 Giga DDR RAM (old machine, I know). In some cases, depending on the synth patch I had to set buffer to 512 to avoid pops and artifacts, This was not happening with previous versions and same machine.

Pitch bend still has some latency. I did not try other features of the program, as I mentioned before I'm focused on tracking and everything else is not that important for me now, However I noticed that this MG version did not recognize some plugins such the Izotope line and others that are not VSTi.

Hello!

In my opinion 0.9.2 exceeds expectations, but improvements are of course expected and welcome !!!

Especially when it comes to adhoc-expression and improvisation on a guitar.

Every improvement is welcome (but 0.9.2 is good enough for my expectations at the moment ) when it comes to :
- Chords recognition
- Strumming
- pitch bend
- Different tunings
- String response
- (Even) better tracking ...

Not complaining, just wishing, because Midi Guitar meets my requirements at my level ...

My default tuning is open D.
My default guitar is a Maxxas MX2.

I am an owner of a relic Casio MG-510 (for sale ..) that has a fractal of JamOrigins MIdiguitar capabilities ...

I have concluded that this must be considered for the best setup of Midi Guitar:

Your soundcard's latency-capabilities are critical!
It matters which VST-plugin you choose for output.
The sound/layers of the output VST-plugin matters - Short/Long attack e t c ?
The input-levels of your guitar into Midi Guitar matters - Find a level that matches your configuration.
Your guitar playing style matters - Don't expect Midi Guitar to sound perfect when yourself is playing sloppy...

The settings of Midi Guitar matters - Pitch prediction - Sensitivity - Pitch Sensitivity :
Take into account your own playing style and adjust the parameters that fits best for you!

Best regards

Urgent help needed. The Test Piano (selected under Instrument output) plays continuously in Jam Origin Midi Guitar when I use ASIO4ALL drivers. I tried to change from loopMIDI to loopBe and could not witness any difference. How to prevent this sound as it is becoming part of the recording. Also, how can I reduce the latency when using FL Studio and my Protools MBox? Cheers.

ronymail wrote:Urgent help needed. The Test Piano (selected under Instrument output) plays continuously in Jam Origin Midi Guitar when I use ASIO4ALL drivers. I tried to change from loopMIDI to loopBe and could not witness any difference. How to prevent this sound as it is becoming part of the recording. Also, how can I reduce the latency when using FL Studio and my Protools MBox? Cheers.

Can you be a bit more specific or explanatory about your issue? To see whats going on...

Congratulations for the recent improvements!
I have been really impressed with the latest version.

I've had a small issue with 0.9.3.
When I put the MIDI GUITAR 32.dll in my plugin folder, Reaper 4.5.2 does not recognize it. It locates the 64 version but not the 32. So I had to install the 0.9.2 version for the 32 version.

Apart from that, I am having a great time with this plugin. Thanks.

I am also experiencing a few issues with skipped notes in chords, arpeggios, fingerpicked notes.

I tried to adjust the sensitivity but it does not seem to change much.
Can anybody recommend settings?

What's new in 0.9.3 versus 0.9.2? The website doesn't seem to have a backlog?

I got it though, not sure if automatic update checks are necessary, with the update button already on the gui. I loaded it in Reaper, and BAM! update available, well ok but I'm trying to play right now.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Instruments”