Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaspar wrote:
On a side note - have you considered adding something that instead of MIDI recognition only, would transform the guitar sound to various synth sounds?
Was this the resynthesis thing you were talking about?

Is this what Roland VG-99 does to some extent or entirely different?

Anyway looking forward to further refinements.

Probably is, I'm not an expert. I believe resynthesis is what "GuitSyn SE" and "String Sculptor 2" from FRETTED SYNTH plugins do. They take the guitar signal as pitch reference and passes it through the oscilators to generate the sounds.

If I'm wrong please correct me. I think he is around in this thread.

This is awesome!
Just wondering-
has anyone managed to route the MIDI out in Orion?
I wired it up fine in eXT,
but can't figure out how to in Orion.
You can add eXT as a fully compatible host,
and hopefully there is some way to do in O.
I'm very curious what technique enables this technology.
Bravo JamOrigin!!

JamOrigin wrote: Remarks to these early beta versions:
You gotta be in standard, absolute tuning for now.
Since open beta version 0.4.2, I have tested the standalone briefly. Although i'm sure standard tuning will give the best results (not going to argue with what the dev's say), anyone with non-standard tuning should still give this a try if it may be useful for them (im into sludge rock).

I think MidiGuitar could be fitted to work with almost any tuning, if the user puts enough time into tweaking, along with creating custom instrument patches. When i have more free time, i will try to set up some drum samples to be triggered by what M.G. does recognize on my ultra downtuned double d guitar, to set up a type of "improv" drummer.

other tunings recognized by midi guitar would be Amazing :)

"Just" tuning ect

Last edited by ariajazz on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:
CapnLockheed wrote:Version .5.0 is the best yet! I've tested it under Win8 32 the standalone is solid as is the plugin in Plogue Bidule, Presonus Studio 1 Producer, Cubase Ai6,
VSTHost and Chainer....I'm not quite ready to sell my Roland GI-20....but it's getting close!! :D
what would they need to add? to make you sell the Roland GI-20? :)
Pitch bend tracking/multichannel per-string output. I don't even really care if it gets the string number right, just as long as each note gets its own MIDI channel and pitch bend.

Pitch bend tracking/multichannel per-string output. I don't even really care if it gets the string number right, just as long as each note gets its own MIDI channel and pitch bend.[/quote]

I'm not too sure about this and here's why:

I was playing and messing around with v5.2 and piano synth doing some fingerstyle playing, chord melody standards tunes and figured out that when playing some certain chords (specially arpeggiating) that have the same note and pitch on two different strigs eg.(B on 3rd string 4th fret and B on open 2nd string) one of the notes -the second one- does not sound until the first one has stopped. This instantly made me think about what Admiral Quality said about

"...I don't even really care if it gets the string number right, just as long as each note gets its own MIDI channel..."

If MidiGuitar can recognize and track per-string certainly will avoid this phenomenon of the non sounding note, but what would happen with the same two notes played on diferrent string if it only makes a per note to midi channel in despite of the string played? How to do the per-string output allowing the two notes to be triggered?

It is just a simple thinking, maybe it works in some other way that I don't know

ariajazz, that's certainly going to be a challenge. How will it tell when two (or even 3) strings are playing the same note? This is easy for converters with hex pickups, and should be impossible to do with polyphonic input. But then everything JamOrigin is demonstrating already is supposed to be impossible, so I'm staying ready to be further amazed! :)

But you're right, that's going to be the most difficult case to solve for.

MoreK wrote:
coincidental wrote:Case solved! Hopefully.
Hi, can you help me to understand this setup a bit better. I have managed to do the registry hack and turn the VST plugin to "synth" type in Sonar X2. But what then, how do you get audio input to MIDI Guitar while send MIDI output to another synth track?
Well I only just got Sonar, so I am very very far from being an expert. But here is what worked for me (Producer X2, 64-bit FWIW).
  • * New project
    * Insert new audio track
    * In FX bin insert VST/soft synth MIDI Guitar
    * Insert new synth track for VST/soft synth of your choice
    * In synth rack, right-click on MIDI Guitar and select Enable MIDI Output
    * The input drop-down for your soft synth should now have MIDI Guitar as a source that you can select
You don't need the audio output from MIDI Guitar enabled, or an instrument loaded in the plug-in - indeed, you can have the track muted.

I haven't explored the MIDI routing options further, but hopefully this will get you started.
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

ariajazz wrote: Probably is, I'm not an expert. I believe resynthesis is what "GuitSyn SE" and "String Sculptor 2" from FRETTED SYNTH plugins do. They take the guitar signal as pitch reference and passes it through the oscilators to generate the sounds.

"GuitSyn SE" and "String Sculptor 2" work in ways like using an audio to MIDI setup, except they bypass MIDI and use control voltage to set\send the pitch for the oscillator from the pitch tracking. A gate is triggered from an envelope follower to operate the amp and filter envelopes.
Ole has mentioned that he would like to have versions of MIDIGuitar with an internal synth. Would be nice with the tracking he has created to be able to track in this way also IMHO? He has done very, very well using MIDI but it might be something to look into? Might make for more interesting bends and slides.

But all in all he kicked my ass (I am happy for that) I never thought what he has already done could be done.

Peace
Joe

FrettedSynth wrote:
ariajazz wrote: Probably is, I'm not an expert. I believe resynthesis is what "GuitSyn SE" and "String Sculptor 2" from FRETTED SYNTH plugins do. They take the guitar signal as pitch reference and passes it through the oscilators to generate the sounds.

"GuitSyn SE" and "String Sculptor 2" work in ways like using an audio to MIDI setup, except they bypass MIDI and use control voltage to set\send the pitch for the oscillator from the pitch tracking. A gate is triggered from an envelope follower to operate the amp and filter envelopes.
Ole has mentioned that he would like to have versions of MIDIGuitar with an internal synth. Would be nice with the tracking he has created to be able to track in this way also IMHO? He has done very, very well using MIDI but it might be something to look into? Might make for more interesting bends and slides.

But all in all he kicked my ass (I am happy for that) I never thought what he has already done could be done.

Peace
Joe
Right. I forgot that since I haven't used those plugins for a while (they're nice though) They actually use audio to midi setup, in fact they can retrigger midi notes to an external vsti. Thanks Joe for the explanation it is very useful.

FrettedSynth wrote: But all in all he kicked my ass (I am happy for that) I never thought what he has already done could be done.
Same here. This is a game changer!

AdmiralQuality wrote:ariajazz, that's certainly going to be a challenge. How will it tell when two (or even 3) strings are playing the same note? This is easy for converters with hex pickups, and should be impossible to do with polyphonic input. But then everything JamOrigin is demonstrating already is supposed to be impossible, so I'm staying ready to be further amazed! :)

But you're right, that's going to be the most difficult case to solve for.
Huge challenge. Hex systems do a "physical" string differentiation. In the case of MidiGuitar all inputs come from only one source. Lets see if Ole kicks our asses again and manages this issue. I hope and wish he will.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
FrettedSynth wrote: But all in all he kicked my ass (I am happy for that) I never thought what he has already done could be done.
Same here. This is a game changer!
More like a dream :-) and Ole says "but wait there's more" damn sharp knife already :-)

1) it seems that higher strings track a bit better
2) on higher strings there are some notes missed if played fast
3) Slow single note lines work very well

Those three observations have been true since the beginnings of
guitar synthesis. :wink:
On a side note - have you considered adding something that instead of MIDI recognition only, would transform the guitar sound to various synth sounds?
That sounds like your talking about audio triggered synths like Antares Kantos
& Clone Ensemble....an internal synth could be REALLY cool. From the sounds themselves to a whole range of parameters...an internal synth could be fully optimized to the task at hand. Ever since the Roland GR-300,(and it was really a hexaphonic processor), was discontinued there's never been a guitar synth that really allowed true expressive playing...I see a great possibility here!

Is this what Roland VG-99 does to some extent or entirely different?
The latter. What the VG-99 does is not pitch to midi...it's polyphonic effect processing. The VG-99 takes the individual string outputs from the GK-3 hexaphonic pickup and processes them through effect algorithms....the VG-99 also does pitch to midi conversion to drive external synths....but not very well.
Last edited by CapnLockheed on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Instruments”