Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI VST/AU "MIDI Guitar"- BETA TEST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And a semi-sweet deal for semi-hard-core beta testers?
;)

:D

Kaspar wrote:And a semi-sweet deal for semi-hard-core beta testers?
;)

:D
:wink:
Musical Style: Psychotic Northwoods Basement Trash

JamOrigin wrote:
jdt wrote:Surely there'll be some Sweet deal for all us old-time, hard-core Beta testers? Eh? :hail:
Yes of course. We will get back to each of you by the end of the beta test.
Oh no, I already jumped the -30% deal. :D
That's ok, you deserve it.

Well I think midi guitar is good enough now that I just sold my Roland G.I. 20. The value of that unit for resale is going tank here within the next few months after midi guitar is released and the press spreads the word about it. This software has the potential to be the innovative software of the year for sure. The term revolutionary is thrown around way too much and really only one piece of lsoftware every several years is truely ground breaking and I believe this is one of them.

Thanks jam origin.

spinedoc wrote:This software has the potential to be the innovative software of the year for sure. The term revolutionary is thrown around way too much and really only one piece of lsoftware every several years is truely ground breaking and I believe this is one of them.

Thanks jam origin.
I agree 100%

Downloaded and tested the beta 0.50 in cubase5. I'm positively surprised! As a longtime Roland GR-20 user and tweaker ;-) I can compare both - tracking and " feeling". My experience so far: MidiGuitar tracks much faster than the Roland in a single note situation. I even could do some crazy tappings, and the softsynthsound felt like a second guitar amp, not like a " little later-synth sound". But in one area, the Roland is still superiour: the hex-pickup translates strummed chords much better and with greater precision, because it tracks each string individually. But I'm confident that MidIguitar will overcome this little weakness on the road to 1.0. :-)
Mavid

P.S.: if there are some tips on how to improve strumming performance, I'd be happy to learn and try!

Mavid wrote:Downloaded and tested the beta 0.50 in cubase5. I'm positively surprised! As a longtime Roland GR-20 user and tweaker ;-) I can compare both - tracking and " feeling". My experience so far: MidiGuitar tracks much faster than the Roland in a single note situation. I even could do some crazy tappings, and the softsynthsound felt like a second guitar amp, not like a " little later-synth sound". But in one area, the Roland is still superiour: the hex-pickup translates strummed chords much better and with greater precision, because it tracks each string individually. But I'm confident that MidIguitar will overcome this little weakness on the road to 1.0. :-)
Mavid

P.S.: if there are some tips on how to improve strumming performance, I'd be happy to learn and try!
I too look forward to strumming. Strumming has been the one aspect of midi guitar systems where technology has failed. I do believe that Midi guitar is the closest anyone has come so far though. I have been using a hex pickup and 6 instances of Midi guitar for the last few weeks and the results have been very very impressed. Tonight I tried mixing all 6 outputs into one instance of Midi guitar in polyphonic mode and the tracking was much better than I thought it would be. I do feel that personally using multiple instances monophonicly suits my requirements better as there is more accuracy compared to the poly mode. Using the same input from the standard pickups didn't work too well for me but I have a cheap guitar and noisy pickups! However it is clear that there are some people where the standard guitar out into this plugin works great.

Strumming chords in poly mode gave a few false notes but with a hex pickup and multiple instances it looks very promising, so I would be insterested in anyone else's results from strumming chords (1/8th note strums using open chords etc)

All in all I have been very pleased with Midi guitar and have no regrets dropping the $70 as a an early adopter. I think these guys have really created something special.

Another thing I found was that loading kontakt into the plugin rather than outputting the to the host and loading kontakt the seemed to reduce the latency even further... Any thoughts or feedback ??
"It's alright to say things can only get better,
You haven't lost your brand new sweater.
Pure new wool, and perfect stitches,
Not the type of jumper that makes you itches."

Sultans of Ping

@tboneUS: What kind of breakout box do you use? And could you describe how to set up 6 instances of MidiGuitar? I think that would help peolple like me a lot :-)

Mavid wrote:@tboneUS: What kind of breakout box do you use? And could you describe how to set up 6 instances of MidiGuitar? I think that would help peolple like me a lot :-)
I posted a little about my experiments on page 29 but briefly, I just threw a circuit together so that the GK unit was powered up and added 6 op-amps to boost the signal (up to about 24db). I can certainly post a more detailed description about the circuit but I feel it is better to keep on track with the findings of the plugin itself. Please PM me and I will forward details it you wish.

As far as setting up the 6 instances it is the same as described for one instance but setting each instance of the plugin to a specific channel from the audio interface. Using ableton live for each string I have an audio track with midi guitar on it and a corresponding track that takes the midi output and passes it to a third midi track that (where the other 5 sets of audio/midi inputs are also set to) which has the vst plugin of choice for the sound. Other hosts may be easier to setup but should follow the same principle
Last edited by tboneUS on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sultans of Ping

I wondered if the plugin was saving settings on other hosts, so far I have tried Ableton Live 7 and 8 on Mac as well as Reaper for the same. I did try Energyxt on Windows but none of the settings appear to be saved with the project file. I see that reading back a few pages setting were not being saved - is this still an oustanding issue? if so is there any chance it can be resolved for the next beta release :D :D

Sultans of Ping

was this the midi guitar app that had an intro beta deal going on?

I swear it is, but I can't find the deal anywhere.

dw

spinedoc wrote:Well I think midi guitar is good enough now that I just sold my Roland G.I. 20. The value of that unit for resale is going tank here within the next few months after midi guitar is released and the press spreads the word about it. This software has the potential to be the innovative software of the year for sure. The term revolutionary is thrown around way too much and really only one piece of lsoftware every several years is truely ground breaking and I believe this is one of them.

Thanks jam origin.
Thank you for the kind words, spinedoc!
Mavid wrote:Downloaded and tested the beta 0.50 in cubase5. I'm positively surprised! As a longtime Roland GR-20 user and tweaker ;-) I can compare both - tracking and " feeling". My experience so far: MidiGuitar tracks much faster than the Roland in a single note situation. I even could do some crazy tappings, and the softsynthsound felt like a second guitar amp, not like a " little later-synth sound". But in one area, the Roland is still superiour: the hex-pickup translates strummed chords much better and with greater precision, because it tracks each string individually. But I'm confident that MidIguitar will overcome this little weakness on the road to 1.0. :-)
Mavid
Thanks Mavid! We will see what we can do...

dusted william wrote:was this the midi guitar app that had an intro beta deal going on?

I swear it is, but I can't find the deal anywhere.

dw
The store is linked from inside the plugin. It's also here:
http://sites.fastspring.com/jamorigin/p ... idi-guitar
tboneUS wrote: Another thing I found was that loading kontakt into the plugin rather than outputting the to the host and loading kontakt the seemed to reduce the latency even further... Any thoughts or feedback ??
I have haerd others having the same feeling but im still puzzled about this. MIDI Guitar process its hosted synth as directly in the audio thread with no delay frames, so thats optimal for latency, but I would think than any DAW would do that. Anybody understand why a DAW would introduce artificial latency here?
tboneUS wrote:I wondered if the plugin was saving settings on other hosts, so far I have tried Ableton Live 7 and 8 on Mac as well as Reaper for the same. I did try Energyxt on Windows but none of the settings appear to be saved with the project file. I see that reading back a few pages setting were not being saved - is this still an oustanding issue? if so is there any chance it can be resolved for the next beta release :D :D
Just did a quick test and it works here on Reaper. Anybody else have problems with this in 0.5.2?
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

ToneboneUS, I checked the resources on the VGuitar Forum and found lots of suggestions for diy breakoutboxes. - You,re right, I keep on working with the plugin before opening my GK-3 and doing things I have not learned yet :-)

JamOrigin wrote: Just did a quick test and it works here on Reaper. Anybody else have problems with this in 0.5.2?

All seems to save fine in Reaper except midi output status and pitch sensitivities. Using 4.32pre6.

Happy New Year to all!

When I first joined the MIDI Guitar beta several weeks ago I was using it with a beautiful cello from a popular orchestral VSTi and my wife burst in to the room and commented that I sounded like Beethoven! Best compliment ever! :oops:

Just wanted to report in that the x64 version of the MIDI Guitar 0.5.2 VST is working VERY well for me within Sonar X2 x64.

The simple Sonar specific configuration detailed in this thread and on the MIDI Guitar website worked perfectly, by the way.

I have so much more room on my desk now that I got rid of that cursed MIDI keyboard spanning across it. I was doing my best pretending but really struggled with the keys. I am a guitarist!

MIDI Guitar is a dream come true for me. Thanks JamOrigin and continued success in the new year!

Return to “Instruments”