Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
brok landers
KVRAF

6081 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am your experience with midiquest/xl please

hi all,

i'm looseley thinking about getting into midiquest/xl for my hardware synths, however, i don't know anything about it exept the rough specs from the website. up to now i use the rusted old sounddiver by emagic, and although it still serves quite good, it's limited, not running on win7 and it's not being supported anymore since long anyway. is there anyone who can give me information and his experience with midiquest/xl? i.e. is it stable, does a win7 version exist, will it be future proof (as much as one can tell anyway), ect...
i'm willing to try the demo but hesitate up to now to install it, as it may mess with my midi configuration, etc... so if anyone could give me more insight i might try it... or not, depending on funded info here...

thanks in advance!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man
Gonga
KVRAF

2093 posts since 27 Feb, 2011

Postby Gonga; Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 am

I tried it and found it was very difficult to configure, and usually offers only generic control. I couldn't even get it to work with my Alesis QS8, my Yamaha TX-802 or my Korg Triton. Besides that, the generic control it offered didn't match the features, let alone the layout, of the synths themselves. imo it's a good example of false advertising. They refused to refund my money of course. It was a complete waste of a lot of cash.

Maybe if you can demo it first, it might suit you for some of your synths. But it's so expensive and so not what it promises imo, I cannot recommend it at all.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
himalaya
KVRAF

4738 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Ohh, that's a shame. I was interested in Midiquest as I wanted to get back to my SY77 with the help of a computer editor. :(
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
Gonga
KVRAF

Postby Gonga; Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:13 pm

You might want to take a look at FM Alive's DX Manager 3 (I think it has accommodations for most Yamaha FM synths). It's cheap and the guy is honest and helpful. You could contact him to ask specifically what the software can do for your specific synth.

b3groover
KVRer

20 posts since 7 Apr, 2011, from United States

Postby b3groover; Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

himalaya wrote:Ohh, that's a shame. I was interested in Midiquest as I wanted to get back to my SY77 with the help of a computer editor. :(

That would be awesome! :)

Yes, FM Alive is supposed to be the most feature rich and easiest to use for the SY77.

http://www.fm-alive.com/pages/SYM3.aspx
brok landers
KVRAF

6081 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:12 am

hmm, i was afraid hearing just something like that about midiquest...
well, unless there's not other rather positive opinions,i think i'll then stick to sounddiver and an old separate xp machine...
thanks for the info!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man
jbraner
KVRian

759 posts since 8 Jan, 2003

Postby jbraner; Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:52 am

I haven't used midi quest in years - but if there are 'drivers' for your synth, then you'll be fine and won't have to use generic ones. I don't know if it works in Win 7 as I haven't used it since I was on XP (or before).

try the demo - it won't mess anything up. just backup all your hardware synths with a Sysex dump, just in case ;-)
stixman
KVRist

168 posts since 22 Apr, 2012

Postby stixman; Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:14 am

I use soundiver for my access virus c on W7 64
Compyfox
KVRAF

14282 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:30 am

I think you should ask the Q over on GearSlutz - more hardware users.

If in doubt, try the demo, access the FTP from them to snag your device in question. Or... spend 99 bucks for "one" device (UniQuest) for testing purposes and then go from there. Don't know if a VSTi version is shipped in this case however (edit: apparently not).

Since you have SoundDiver, you could get another discount (on top of the Download only version) for going the competitive crossgrade route. Son in theory should should pay 300USD overall.

Let's say you have 4 hardware units (though I remember you had more at your disposal), then you already pay 75USD per unit with all discounts applied.

According to SoundQuest, they are Win7, they are still(!) doing maintenance, and there is still(!) a new SysEx panel coming out once in a while.

Here is the pricelist:
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Forms/ordrform.html

Here your feature comparision (take a look at the first comparision row):
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Windows ... tures.html

And... A list of supported devices:
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Windows ... ments.html

I'd get the XL version if I had the funds, just for my K2000 and my Proteus Lead XL-1, maybe even my MU-15 since it's a b*tch to program.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
kmmcdonald
KVRist

100 posts since 31 Oct, 2009

Postby kmmcdonald; Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:18 am

I posted this about a month ago in the SOS forum in response to a similar query there:

I bought MQ8 (when it was the current version) a few years back based on a positive review in EM by an writer who now makes his living writing books about Sonar. I quickly realized that the review was either:

a) the results of an incompetent test strategy
b) industry propaganda

(As a result of the above experience, I do not trust product reviews in publications that have advertising and have cancelled my subscription to EM.)

Initial installation problems aside, I had problems with the following editors:

a) Matrix-1000
b) Emu Planet Earth
c) Wavestation A/D
d) Wavestation S/R
e) Korg M1/R
f) Korg EA-1
g) Korg ER-1

There were no editors that I used that had no problems.

At the end of 2 years of corresponding with Squest via email and migrating to MQ9 with the hope of seeing an improvement, I can state the following:

a) Matrix-1000 editor is working
b) Emu Planet Earth editor is unusable
c) Wavestation A/D is improved but buggy enough that I still use the front panel for programming
d) Wavestation S/R is improved but buggy enough that I do all programming on the A/D front panel and transfer patches to the S/R
e) Korg M1/R editor is fixed
f) Korg EA-1 editor is actually great
g) Korg ER-1 editor is actually great

Here are some points I would like to make about the most frustrating software experience that I ever had:

1) SQ often would not respond to my technical support requests unless I eventually posted them on public forums.

2) I provided SQ with a copy of the Wavestation sysex specification so that they could fix the bugs.

3) SQ actually gave me attention and fixed many bugs for me; although they were ultimately unsuccessful in my estimation, they sometimes tried, so SQ deserves credit for attention that other larger SW vendors would not have provided.

4) SQ purchased a Wavestation S/R on ebay in an attempt to solve my issues, with the agreement that I would not speak publicly about my problems. That was a few years back, and I consider the "statute of limitations" to have expired, especially since many problems were not resolved, and I gave up a few years ago.

5) After some time, Psicraft/Vyzor promised a Wavestation editor to fix my problems (again, under a gentlemen's agreement of silence), but this never materialized. I understand this, however, since the KDLE made its appearance, severely reducing the sales potential of the hypothetical Vyzor Wavestation editor.

Bottom line: MQ8 and MQ9 were very poor quality (the poorest that I had ever experienced), but SQ put some effort into resolving my issues with partial success. I considered myself to have provided uncompensated part-time test engineering services for two years. Maybe they have improved in the past several years. Maybe MQ10 is greatly improved, and my experiences are not germain to this discussion, but I feel obligated as a consumer to inform other consumers of my experiences.

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA
4damind
KVRAF

4633 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from Berlin, Germany

Postby 4damind; Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:48 am

Tried it different times... a lot of bugs and don't worked for me. There was also a difference with the demo version and the full version. The demo was not updated and had more bugs than the full version (this was also the answer I got from the support).
Gonga
KVRAF

Postby Gonga; Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 am

Well I made the mistake of buying the full version about a year ago, and I couldn't get it to work with ANY of my gear after trying for weeks. A complete waste of both time and money.

I looked for a copy of SoundDiver for a long time - still never found one.

himalaya
KVRAF

4738 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:32 am

b3groover wrote:
That would be awesome! :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jim. :-)

b3groover wrote:
Yes, FM Alive is supposed to be the most feature rich and easiest to use for the SY77.

http://www.fm-alive.com/pages/SYM3.aspx

Yes! I keep forgetting about this editor even though I have it bookmarked on my shopping list! :oops: Thanks for the reminder.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
kääriäinen
KVRist

80 posts since 4 Sep, 2004, from Finland

Postby kääriäinen; Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Too bad it has so many issues. I've been looking for a second hand copy of Midi Quest 10 XL for a year or so since it's so expensive. Yesterday I found freeware editor Ctrlr

http://ctrlr.org/

It has standalone and vst versions for both 32 and 64 bit. Currently there's control panels for Oberheim Matrix-1000, Access Virus B, Roland Juno 106, Yamaha TX 802 etc. Looks like a interesting project but I can't say how well the editor works.
novelistus
KVRer

13 posts since 14 Nov, 2012, from Balfour, BC, Canada

Postby novelistus; Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:00 pm

reading all the posts explains clearly that MQ is not the route to go I guess.

Too bad, I was hoping I could get an easy way out of handling and tweaking my GR-33.

I downloaded the demo of V10 XL to my computer, but can't install the instruments.

Anybody knows of any similar "OS X" products ? I have no problem configuring some midi controls, but I don't really want to start from scratch.
Korg-M3, Larrivee LV03, Washburn J9, Bose L1 with Tonematch T1, Godin ACS-SA, Roland GR-33, Logic Express, Cognitone HN2, Melodyne, and a growing arsenal of iPad gadgets and tools. As for the music - ALL ART REQUIRES COURAGE ;-)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments