WhySynth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone here played around with WhySynth? (linux-based, I believe..)

Absolutely mind-blowing. Probably more than 160 waveforms for each of the 4 oscillators, and something called "mode" that allows to select the type of "category" of the oscillator..

I'm only now starting to work with this one.. Huge. Just huge..

Anyone made any sounds on this one? I don't see it in the database here at KVR..
Incredible..

brian

Now all we need is

WhoSynth
WhatSynth
WhereSynth
WhenSynth

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... Journalism

:hihi:

Looks interesting though, I can't use it cause im on OSX.
:borg:

some rival developer will soon come up with an appropriate answer to that whySynth -- the BECAUSEsynth !!! :hyper:
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

briandc wrote:Has anyone here played around with WhySynth? (linux-based, I believe..)
If Android can run it I will check it out :wink:

Cute, cute...

Here's more reading:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/whysynth

http://smbolton.com/whysynth.html

I don't know why this one isn't in the KVR database. There's not much out there that has all this one has to offer. (I hope they do a 1-synth challenge for this one!)

A true Beast to tweak. :D

brian

Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?

"It dreamed itself along"

Is there a way to run it on Windows?

V0RT3X wrote:Now all we need is

WhoSynth
WhatSynth
WhereSynth
WhenSynth

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ ... Journalism

:hihi:

Looks interesting though, I can't use it cause im on OSX.
VORT3X

It does run on OSX with jackpilot.

Have fun, Mark

Numanoid wrote:Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?
LV2 has replaced LADSPA. DSSI is a host. iirc..

brian

Whysynth is a stonking good instrument, and with Hexter DX7 sysex import, Phasex modulating audio inputs, yoshimi/zynaddsubfx exotica, using the
golden Calf Plugins, there is a vast array of sound at the linux fingertips,
with miniscule cpu and disk space hit.

Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick,
so you can record a Thanksgiving session at Granny's, while the folks sleep
off the turkey, or holler at football teams! A gorgeous gui for whysynth
would be very welcome 8)
Cheers

Numanoid wrote:Isn't DSSI overtaken by LV2 now?
There is some new work done on dssi plugins that is quite nice.
You can use dssi apps with other LV2 things running. Both systems
have their developement drawbacks discussed at various times. The new Ardour 3
may not support dssi, but reaper doesn't care, and coexists politely
with most everything.

qtractor has LADSPA, DSSI, native VSTi and LV2 plug-in support.

http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html

Cheers

Whysinth has been updated recently and is even better now. Of course, the GUI is not fancy, but the range of sound is very good. I rediscovered it.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

glokraw wrote:Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick
Sounds great, but I just find that modifications of Linux distros requires that one is an expert.

Unlike Windows, I can't just download WhySynth as a regular plug and quickly make it work with a simple host (like for instance SAVI host).

Trying to run a Linux plug that is not already included in a distro, like for instance LMMS (or WhySynth for that matter) in for example Ubuntu, just brings up a lot of questions about LADSA this or LV2 or jack that is missing :(

I just find that Linux either caters for the computer masters or the complete novices. The regular computer tinkers in between, gets locked out.

I had high hopes for Linux a couple of years back, but getting stuck in it, really made me understand that I had been spoilt on the Windows platform.

Numanoid wrote:
glokraw wrote:Throw in Hydrogen and linuxsampler for samples and beats, the TAL ports managed by the KX guru, Rakarrack and Guitarix for multi-fx stringed powers, and call it a party. Soundcard must be supported by alsa, and many good ones are.
Its sure fun when all cylinders are firing, and your rig is on a usbstick
Sounds great, but I just find that modifications of Linux distros requires that one is an expert.

Unlike Windows, I can't just download WhySynth as a regular plug and quickly make it work with a simple host (like for instance SAVI host).

Trying to run a Linux plug that is not already included in a distro, like for instance LMMS (or WhySynth for that matter) in for example Ubuntu, just brings up a lot of questions about LADSA this or LV2 or jack that is missing :(

I just find that Linux either caters for the computer masters or the complete novices. The regular computer tinkers in between, gets locked out.

I had high hopes for Linux a couple of years back, but getting stuck in it, really made me understand that I had been spoilt on the Windows platform.
I'm relatively new to Linux compared to you. (only 1 year that I'm really into it)
All I did was install Ubuntu Studio, then install the packages in KXStudio. I now have a beast of a machine with everything glokraw mentioned.

PLUS, I can run most Windows-based VSTis using FeSTige, or Reaper.

There really isn't much KXStudio can NOT do, imo. At least on this PC. ;)

Maybe lots of things have changed (developed) in Linux in recent years....?

brian

Return to “Instruments”