BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

Wow thank you now everything works !!! That was fast !

It still crashes once in a while when re-opening a jbridge window with it in Studio One

Also is it possible to set step lengths as triplets/dotted not just straight?
If not that should be added to make the arp even better

Hello graywolf2004

Thank you very much for Fixing the bug of the Gui working with JBridge under Win7 and Cubase7.
The Gui works and all Presets are to Play.
But I discover one more Problem. When pressing Start playing Cubase, BlueArp plays short Notes, as long as I'm not playing notes on my Midikeyboard. If I'm pressing any notes or Chords BlueArp plays well.

Setting the sync to key, BlueArp plays the whole Pattern Length and don't stop playing these short and high Notes, wether I stop pressing Notes or Chords.

It seems, BlueArp sending permanently a short Note to Midiout.
Setting sync to beat, BlueArp sending constantly while Cubase is running. Setting sync to Key, BlueArp sending these short Note while not pressing any Midinote or Chord.
Do I something wrong?

I want to say, that the concept of BlueArp is very smooth, easy to use, and it would be great, if I could use this. The Presets are cool. I like it much more than Cream. It's more than worth to donate if anything works fine.

Sorry for my English, hope everything is clear, Schooltime is long ago.;-)

That's what I noticed, too, KushiQ. With some [many? all?] synths that short MIDI note causes noticeable audio clicks even while you don't play anything. It's like hearing some kind of a sync signal. I'm surprised that nobody has noticed this so far. I've been thinking "well, I can use a gate plugin to suppress any audio coming from it while nothing is being played". I noticed that while using v1.12 a while ago and haven't been experimenting with it since, so maybe it was just related to a particular synth or even a host. I use EnergyXT1 and Reaper. This happened in Reaper, but I can't remember with which synth.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:That's what I noticed, too, KushiQ. With some [many? all?] synths that short MIDI note causes noticeable audio clicks even while you don't play anything. It's like hearing some kind of a sync signal. I'm surprised that nobody has noticed this so far. I've been thinking "well, I can use a gate plugin to suppress any audio coming from it while nothing is being played". I noticed that while using v1.12 a while ago and haven't been experimenting with it since, so maybe it was just related to a particular synth or even a host. I use EnergyXT1 and Reaper. This happened in Reaper, but I can't remember with which synth.
Hi,DuX, @graywolf2004

Maybe it helps, if I say I'm getting these short notes on every VST-Synth tested with FM8, Dune, Omnisphere, Massive.....

I can record these Notes to BlueArps Midiout in Cubase, it's a permanently D5 and comes in 1/16..... I can see these Notes in the Key-Editor after recording.
The Notes Comes along with the sync I'm using, for example when using 1/4 the Notes where record as 1/4 and so on.

Tested the latest 1.14B runs smoothly at some point, even though I'm still using multiple instances of it. But once I click on the plugin box (to show it) the FLStudio crashes... I believe there's something You have to consider about GUI refreshing, because till now, the clocking of multiple instances is giving smooth result.

A question btw, how am I supposed to control the MIDI input of FLStudio built-in Plugins (like GMS or 3XOsc)? :roll:

Yes, versions since 1.13 have some GUI issues. It starts to drive me crazy, since 1.12rc5 worked fine... Tha bad thing is - when it crashes, you can't debug to the point where's the reason for a crash. Cause some memory leak happens somewhere, and after some time it gives invalid pointer operation in another place...
So my plan is to debug it step-wise - comment all GUI calls and then uncomment them one by one and see when it starts to crash.

YES! Seems like I fixed this freaking crashes, at least in FL Studio.
So, an update:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.14b2.zip

My 'crash test' FL Project in already runnung for 1 hour - 5 instances of bluarp, tempo = 500, a lot on random notes feeding in, 3 editor windows open. Before that, it crashed in first 5 minutes.

Known issues:
1. Pattern chains still not work
2. Force to scale is not finished yet.
3. Negative SEMITONE transpose works wrong (just noticed)

But if the crashes are gone, finally I can continue with the rest )

graywolf2004 wrote:YES! Seems like I fixed this freaking crashes, at least in FL Studio.
So, an update:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.14b2.zip

My 'crash test' FL Project in already runnung for 1 hour - 5 instances of bluarp, tempo = 500, a lot on random notes feeding in, 3 editor windows open. Before that, it crashed in first 5 minutes.
Hello mate :) Thanks for this great effrot so far :)
I tested this version for 2 hours, 6 instances, mixed midi channels, different types of VSTs (freeware & commercial), varied step length of arps (some are 8 steps, other, 16 and other 32). I even let my son to mess with the midi controller, but after 2 hours, I checked that everything is running so smoothly.

Known issues:
2. Force to scale is not finished yet.
Do You mean this feature is not fully working or totally not working? Because for me I can't make any scale forcing here :(

BTW, Any opinion about note pitch? or sliding? (protamento) maybe? Because it is very useful for basslines.

phreaque wrote:Hello mate :) Thanks for this great effrot so far :)
I tested this version for 2 hours, 6 instances, mixed midi channels, different types of VSTs (freeware & commercial), varied step length of arps (some are 8 steps, other, 16 and other 32). I even let my son to mess with the midi controller, but after 2 hours, I checked that everything is running so smoothly.
That's great, thanks for taking your time to test it.
phreaque wrote:
Known issues:
Do You mean this feature is not fully working or totally not working? Because for me I can't make any scale forcing here :(

BTW, Any opinion about note pitch? or sliding? (protamento) maybe? Because it is very useful for basslines.
Should work, but I didn't test it enough.
Note sliding wokrs if you set step type to tie and set synth to legato (monophinic mode with gliding between notes if they overlap). Check the video "BlueARP vst arpeggiator Trance Demo #4" on my youtube channel, starting from 5:00. This is it.

PS. Reproduced the bug with 'trash' notes of high pitch mentioned above. Will fix it soon.

I recorded an almost two hour long improvisation with two instances of BlueARP running in REAPER 4.56 in Windows 8, triggered from a hardware 88 note controller and triggering a midi hardware out and three analog synths via midi-cv converter with lots of live alterations to patterns while performing and all went perfectly. I have had no issues with BlueARP at all so far.

AusDisciple wrote:I recorded an almost two hour long improvisation with two instances of BlueARP running in REAPER 4.56 in Windows 8, triggered from a hardware 88 note controller and triggering a midi hardware out and three analog synths via midi-cv converter with lots of live alterations to patterns while performing and all went perfectly. I have had no issues with BlueARP at all so far.
Great! A was thinking about your request - to make semitone transposition more touchscreen-friendly. Not a hard thing to do, but there are options:
1. Make a setting in ini file, so it will affect BlueARP behaviour globally.
But say you set the scale to 0..12 and loaded a patch with negative semitones.
What to do? Stay in the same scale, so some notes will be invisible on the
matrix or switch back to -12..+12 for such patches?
2. Make it configurable per patch. So default scale will be -12..12, but you can
go to the menu and set it to either -12..0 or 0..+12.
3. Other ideas?

I read your post about access out of range leading to crashes in the future...

I think you said you're using python?

https://wiki.python.org/moin/UsingAssertionsEffectively

I follow a few rules to avoid such bugs that work perfectly:
http://forum.xhip.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9

Posted it elsewhere because it's a long post.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

graywolf2004 wrote:Great! A was thinking about your request - to make semitone transposition more touchscreen-friendly. Not a hard thing to do, but there are options:
1. Make a setting in ini file, so it will affect BlueARP behaviour globally.
But say you set the scale to 0..12 and loaded a patch with negative semitones.
What to do? Stay in the same scale, so some notes will be invisible on the
matrix or switch back to -12..+12 for such patches?
2. Make it configurable per patch. So default scale will be -12..12, but you can
go to the menu and set it to either -12..0 or 0..+12.
3. Other ideas?
The second option would probably be better for backwards compatibility and would be better for others who do not use touch screens.

A third idea I had might be to have -12..0..+12 with 12 notes visible and a scroll function. The only thing with that would be, once again, not all notes would be visible. That's not really an issue for me but not sure what others think.
The scroller would need to be wide enough to be easy to use on touch screens.

Edit - Not sure if this would be practical but what about having a scroll and zoom function? That way, we could have two octaves visible at the wide zoom and perhaps enable it to zoom right down to 1/2 an octave with a scroller.

Update: BlueARP v1.14b3
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.14b3.zip

Changes:
1. Fixed high pitch trash notes bug
2. Fixed bug with negative semitone transpose
3. Force to scale is ready

PS. I'll write more details later, need to hurry now...

Return to “Instruments”