BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

This looks very good.. i watched the video.. and it blew me away.. I will try it out this weekend.. looking forward to it.. thanks for bringing this to us to try out.

At last I made in work in Ableton Live 8.2.5! I was right - Ableton doesn't handle MIDI only plugins in a right way, so I added fake audio outputs. I beleive it shouldn't make it worse in other DAWs (in FL Studio - no difference).
Inside the archive there's a screenshot with my settings for Ableton.

Here's the link:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.02.zip

Changes in v1.02
- fake audio outputs to make it work in Ableton Live
- GUI elements for page selection are there, but do nothing yet

Still working on 64 steps and pages.

graywolf2004 wrote:At last I made in work in Ableton Live 8.2.5! I was right - Ableton doesn't handle MIDI only plugins in a right way, so I added fake audio outputs. I beleive it shouldn't make it worse in other DAWs (in FL Studio - no difference).
Inside the archive there's a screenshot with my settings for Ableton.

Here's the link:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.02.zip

Changes in v1.02
- fake audio outputs to make it work in Ableton Live
- GUI elements for page selection are there, but do nothing yet

Still working on 64 steps and pages.
You ROCK!!! :D
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

In Reaper 4 I have a problem with some stuck notes.

For one, it doesn't always cut notes off immediately when keys are released (and this isn't when there is a tie, just a normal note). The other problem is that I keep finding that the chord setting makes some or all the notes stick on if it's on the last step.

Also, the rests aren't working here---notes are just sustaining through them.

Other than that, it's working well. A lot of good ideas in this---thanks!
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Correction: I see now what "rest" means here. I took it to mean rest as in sheet style notation (i.e. a pause).

Still having the issue with stuck chords though.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

A.M. Gold wrote:Correction: I see now what "rest" means here. I took it to mean rest as in sheet style notation (i.e. a pause).
I took the term "rest" from Novation Nova's arp - it's the way it works there. A better term suggestion?

A.M. Gold wrote:For one, it doesn't always cut notes off immediately when keys are released (and this isn't when there is a tie, just a normal note). The other problem is that I keep finding that the chord setting makes some or all the notes stick on if it's on the last step.
First issue should depend on inp.quantize setting. My idea was - when you set quantize say to 4 steps, it captures input notes on the beginning of step 1 and sustains them to the end of step 4. Meanwhile, somewhere on step 3 you press another chord, which will start playing on step 5, etc.
But witn inp.quantize = none is should release the notes immediately you release the input keys.
I'll check the chord issue also.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

graywolf2004 wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:Correction: I see now what "rest" means here. I took it to mean rest as in sheet style notation (i.e. a pause).
I took the term "rest" from Novation Nova's arp - it's the way it works there. A better term suggestion?
Well, that's actually what I would call a tie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_(music)

I know you already have a tie option that you said was good with portamento but I haven't tried that yet.

Maybe "hold"?

I'll have to check how it's called in other arps, like Kirnu.

graywolf2004 wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:For one, it doesn't always cut notes off immediately when keys are released (and this isn't when there is a tie, just a normal note). The other problem is that I keep finding that the chord setting makes some or all the notes stick on if it's on the last step.
First issue should depend on inp.quantize setting. My idea was - when you set quantize say to 4 steps, it captures inpup notes on the beginning of step 1 and sustains them to the end of step 4. Meanwhile, somewhere on step 3 you press another chord, which will start playing on step 5, etc.
But witn inp.quantize = none is should release the notes immediately you release the input keys.
I'll check the chord issue also.
Ok, the problem hasn't happened since I tried it with soem other VSTi's so maybe it was a glitch.

There's another issue, though which is that I'm finding when I hit a new chord, a little bit of the whole chord always sneaks through at the beginning---Blue Arp doesn't immediately start the arpeggio. It's inconsistent too---sometimes it's a very short burst and other times it sustains longer. This is with no cells set to chord.

Forget about the last issue, looks like it only happens when I'm sending MIDI in Reaper from one track to another. It's not happening with BlueArp on the same track as the VSTi.

Damn... I can't get myself from playing to programming.

Another nice trick is possible with 'Fixed key' option. If you want some steps to be independent from keys pressed, set step type to Fix - note will be taken from Fixed key param. Then, use octave and semitone transpose for them if necessary.
It allows to create nice variations with just 1 key pressed.

PS. 64 steps feature is halfway working.

This=simply amazing. I was struggeling formonth if I buy catanya because of the non responsive customer service and now comes this...

You are fast :)

It works now with Live 8.3.4 32bit and it's so much fun!!! :)

Two points:

- Donate button?
- Swing (please) :oops:

Thank you again...

guppi wrote:It works now with Live 8.3.4 32bit and it's so much fun!!! :)
Two points:
- Donate button?
Great! I'll make donate option, just need to set up a paypal account. Swing is in my todo list also, don't worry, I only postponed it a little bit.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

graywolf2004 wrote:
guppi wrote:It works now with Live 8.3.4 32bit and it's so much fun!!! :)
Two points:
- Donate button?
Great! I'll make donate option, just need to I set up a paypal account. Swing is in my todo list also, don't worry, I only postponed it a little bit.
+1 donate button... there ARE those of us who do. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”