BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

double post

graywolf2004 wrote: VST version will now load files created with AU midiFX version.

...your 'Trance Eurone Express' sequence works as designed.
Btw thanks for your great work on patches )
Thanks for the update. The TEE patch works as it should. And thank you for your kind words about the patches. I have many more to share with you all. I need to create a few more and I'll be able to release 2 banks of 64 patches (128 total). :)
Regarding your feature requests

1. I think I lack some theory here - didn't quite get it. Techically, I have a constant list of names for MIDI note numbers (0..127). Here is the part of this list:
"C4", "C#4", "D4", "Eb4", "E4", "F4", "F#4", "G4", "G#4", "A4", "Bb4", "B4",
So in my case G#4 is always G#4 and not Ab4. You mean it shoud depend on scale setting of be configurable somehow? If so, can you give some tinks for theory on this topic?
I think Wikipedia explains this quite well, "In naming the notes of a scale, it is customary that each scale degree be assigned its own letter name: for example, the A major scale is written A–B–C♯–D–E–F♯–G♯-A rather than A–B–D♭–D–E–Edouble sharp–G♯-A."
2. It would require some 'chorder' kind of functionality in BlueARP, which at this point is not in my plans. As a workaround, you can try to chain any chorder plugin with BlueARP (Chorder plugin -> BlueARP -> Synth). For example, try VST plugin called Chordz
That would be a legit workaround for a completely polyphonic sequence, but what I'm suggesting is the ability to accentuate a monophonic sequence with other notes on individual steps, independently. I realise what I'm suggesting can be achieved by using additional keys K2-K5, but that would require holding those notes down. It would be great to be able to program this information in the sequence and perform with only playing one note.
3. Do you mean the ability to configure semitone and octave transposes separately for each key k1..k5? Probably yes, but not in my nearest plans. Still I have a lot of interesting stuff exploring scales. And Im not very enthusiastic about this kind of feature, cause Im not sure you can do seomething cool with it, which you can't do without.
Anyway, as a workaround, you can use several BlueARP's in parallel - each one will work for a certain key. I used this trick in my 'Classic trance' performance, to create a wide pad chord from 2 keys.
I'm thinking this would over-complicate the plug-in.
4. I'll put 1/64, 1/96 and 1/128 sync to my todo list. Shouldn't be hard to do, but may have issues - when note off and on come within a single audio buffer call, some synths recognize it as a sustained note.
128 steps - why that much? Im comfortable with 4 pages and 16 steps, it's the same in many hardware devices. And Im pretty sure 99% of users won't go beyond 16 steps. As a workaround, you can split long patterns into 2 programs and chain them together.
Perhaps 128 steps / 8 pages / 1/128 sync would be overkill. I was just thinking out loud when I was using the plug-in yesterday. :P However, 1/64 would be a welcome addition.
5. SInce I implemented polyphonic octave, I use 1 byte (8 bits) to store all possible values for each step, so I can have maximum 8 values (without deep modifications). -3 .. 3 fits (7 values, including 0), -4 .. 4 won't fit (9 values). Do you really need this enormous octave range all the time? I guess you'll only use one part of this range: -4..0 or 0..+4. In this case, a simple workaround is to use output octave transpose and shift your octave pattern accordingly.
Again, I was just thinking out loud. :P
6. I like flat GUIs actually, pseudo 3d knobs and wooden panels are kind of cheating imho, cause VST plugin is a pure virtual thing and it doesnt have any physical 'body'. The problem is all space is already in use and I have no place to add new controls, while I don't like the idea of hiding the existing ones too. This is the problem I still dont know how to solve. Maybe I'll add tabs to the left panel, hiding non-essential controls in the second tab.
I'm not saying the GUI has to have 3D knobs and wooden panels. Perhaps some hardware-esque LCD type of display, with maybe room to have 32 steps? Some knobs with a text value box underneath would likely help to free-up space. I think the GUI could be bigger anyway. :)

This is such a great plug-in. It's just crying out for a more polished GUI, but that is merely my opinion.

Thanks for your reply. Keep up the great work.
Opax

Oleg, could there be a way for third-party skins to be installed differently? It's a bit faffy reinstalling the skins every time after replacing the BlueARP component and VST files. Would it be possible to have a skins folder elsewhere and direct the plug-in to that instead? :tu:
Opax

Opax wrote:
graywolf2004 wrote:
Opax wrote: 2. The ability to play/program a polyphonic sequence with just one key pressed.
2. It would require some 'chorder' kind of functionality in BlueARP, which at this point is not in my plans. As a workaround, you can try to chain any chorder plugin with BlueARP (Chorder plugin -> BlueARP -> Synth). For example, try VST plugin called Chordz
That would be a legit workaround for a completely polyphonic sequence, but what I'm suggesting is the ability to accentuate a monophonic sequence with other notes on individual steps, independently. I realise what I'm suggesting can be achieved by using additional keys K2-K5, but that would require holding those notes down. It would be great to be able to program this information in the sequence and perform with only playing one note.
I've just had a thought. Could you not just make the Scale Step section polyphonic? And how about adding page up/down buttons to access notes on higher/lower octaves in this section? (+/-36 steps = +/- 3 octaves) :wink:
Opax

Hi all. Just to share a thing Im very excited about.
This is my friend from France DJ Daemonix playing my "Magic scales" performance on stage (starting from 7:35).
At the end he improvises, this is what bluearp was designed for )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUxnemi-Yw

nice tune, thanks for posting

Two skins for BlueARP:

Last edited by studio4 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

Privet Oleg! So glad to see that video, great performance and of course thanks to the glorious BlueArp. The guy did a decent presentation to You as well. I'm into doing a gig as well based on BlueArp performing :)

studio4 wrote:Two skins for BlueARP...
Nice. Thanks for sharing. :love:
Opax

Thank you! The black version is now my standard skin – very nice!

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Thanks! Glad they are of use.
Image Image

Famous Arps & Basses by Opax v1.2 is now available. Now featuring (more) patches from:

Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Moby, Harold Faltermeyer, Daft Punk, Yazoo, Duran Duran, Pink Floyd, Coldplay, The Doors, and more.

Enjoy!

If you like 'em please consider making a small donation. Your way of buying me a beer/coffee perhaps? 8)

Created using OS X AU version 2.2.1b, and tested in OS X 64-bit VST version 2.2.1b.

Kudos to Oleg for the great plug-in. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Opax

Hi all. Some notes on my progress. Not yet ready for release, but next weekend probably:
1. Extended number of programs to 128, so Opax will be able to fit his great patches into a single bank
2. Added 1/64 sync option
3. Ordered scales in a more logical way, minor/major followed by pentatonic, in case someone will automate this setting
4. Wrote a conversion routine from older bank format (as usual), so older projects should load OK

Currently working on "Magic scales part 2" performance. Digging into scales and experimenting with patterns.
What I realized I miss myself is the ability to move or swap individual steps in a pattern. Should be good for experimenting (in addition to pattern shift). What do you think?

graywolf2004 wrote:What I realized I miss myself is the ability to move or swap individual steps in a pattern. Should be good for experimenting (in addition to pattern shift). What do you think?
I've just began to explore BlueARP as a step sequencer, and moving/swapping parts of patterns (multiple notes) around sounds useful.

Very impressive plugin- clean interface, refined features, easy to use and rock solid.

EDIT: Hnnngh. I just realized that all the parameters, including Scale Step, are actually MIDI controllable, which turns this plugin from awesome to incredible :love: it interfaces with my controller... and with the MIDI LFOs in Reaper for varying patterns. Sweet AF!

Gave the white skin a little more contrast and added a gray skin:

New link: studio.zip
Last edited by studio4 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image

Return to “Instruments”