TX16Wx Software Sampler 2.0 Beta Released - Announching TX16Wx Professional (Updated 2012-10-19)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote:Why not try it out and see for yourself?
That's what I've done, and I can't really see that it does very much else than Shortcircuit already does fine

But I'm not the all seeing I, so if somebody would elaborate further would be nice 8)

The difference is then roughly this:

Shortcircuit is discontinued and unsupported. TX16Wx has active developer support. :)

Numanoid wrote:Do I need TX16W if I've got Shortcircuit?
Nope, you don't need it!

"Need" is SO overused/misused - especially concerning technology.

Numanoid wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Why not try it out and see for yourself?
That's what I've done, and I can't really see that it does very much else than Shortcircuit already does fine

But I'm not the all seeing I, so if somebody would elaborate further would be nice 8)
No syntheziser or sampler or in general any instrument really does anything particularly different. One can perhaps hope that the user does, but tools are tools. Find one you like and think fulfil your needs, then use it as well as you can. If you like SC (and the fact that its a dead product with an undisclosed format is not an issue for you), go with that.
The great thing about free software is that you can make your own informed decision if the tool is something that will make a difference for you.

Now, since I should perhaps offer something constructive instead of just adding to the internet rambling mass, there is one thing at the very least that TX16Wx does that (afaik) SC does not do: Polyphonic glide. Its awesome.

Cheers and enjoy the plugin. :)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

What's the easiest and best way of adding a 2nd wave to a group?

Let's say I'm making a drum set and want to have 2 waves on a key. As it is now I can't seem to drag/drop the 2nd wave on top of the first one from the browser, but have to drop it on an empty key and THEN drag/drop that key to where originally intended.

I've tried various key modifiers but without success.

Also, and this goes for most samplers, it's very hard to see which groups contain multiple samples. Could there be a way to do that with colors for example?

About the comparison to other samplers it is maybe not always encouraging for the developer, but in the interest of development I've been going back and forth testing this properly and the truth is that I get better drum sounds out of Shortcircuit2 simply because it's 10X easier to find the better samples with the search and filter browser. Replacement sounds can also be previewed in situ with their right outputs and effects etc, and layering seems easier too.

But I'm quite excited about TX16WX and think it could be very good indeed, and not entirely fair to compare before it's finished. The other points like open format, active developer, 64-bit are all major points obviously.

V'ger wrote:What's the easiest and best way of adding a 2nd wave to a group?

Let's say I'm making a drum set and want to have 2 waves on a key. As it is now I can't seem to drag/drop the 2nd wave on top of the first one from the browser, but have to drop it on an empty key and THEN drag/drop that key to where originally intended.

I've tried various key modifiers but without success.

Also, and this goes for most samplers, it's very hard to see which groups contain multiple samples. Could there be a way to do that with colors for example?
To drag a second group to the same key, just drop the sample(s) on the keymapper keyboard instead of in the area above.

As for colors, its not a bad idea, but how would a color scheme like that work? Rainbow style key mapper? :-) Or just alternating shades for splits? I'm open to ideas.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

MachFive 3 allows to color each keygroup (zone, split) to a custom color. Also each layer (group, group set) can have a color, and each part (instrument) as well.

It's a cute and sometimes very useful feature to have, IMHO.

EvilDragon wrote:MachFive 3 allows to color each keygroup (zone, split) to a custom color. Also each layer (group, group set) can have a color, and each part (instrument) as well.

Actually a neat idea. I'll add it to the feature list for 2.*
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:MachFive 3 allows to color each keygroup (zone, split) to a custom color. Also each layer (group, group set) can have a color, and each part (instrument) as well.

Actually a neat idea. I'll add it to the feature list for 2.*
This may sound insane but have you thought about making TX16WX scriptable in the future (similar to Kontakt/MachFive). I use MachFive and the Strum script is a must. If TX16WX had basic scripting possibilities to manipulate incoming MIDI data, it would really set it apart from Shortcircuit, Directwave, etc.

elcallio wrote:Actually a neat idea. I'll add it to the feature list for 2.*

Uh huh. :wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

elcallio wrote:
V'ger wrote:What's the easiest and best way of adding a 2nd wave to a group?
To drag a second group to the same key, just drop the sample(s) on the keymapper keyboard instead of in the area above.
A bit unintuitive but works just as well, cheers.

And thanks for fixing it so that the zoom is remembered in the keymap editor now, a small thing like that makes a big difference imo.

But a few more things:

- If I select all the samples within a group in the keymap editor (by shift dragging), they will not show up together in the group list pane (one after the other), but spread all over. (mouse wheel is still also very slow there)

- The sample editor doesn't work as expected since it doesn't show the sample I selected in group list pane (the splits), but instead I have to remember the name of the sample and find it in the list and open manually, a bit unintuitive. Ideally, it should automatically show the sample if a group only has one sample. Or, if a group has more than one sample, one of them opened (the lowermost?), with the others in clearly marked tabs in the editor window to switch between.

V'ger wrote: - If I select all the samples within a group in the keymap editor (by shift dragging), they will not show up together in the group list pane (one after the other), but spread all over. (mouse wheel is still also very slow there)
No, they are shown in the group list order, which by default will be the order you created the groups. Drag the groups up or down to re-order if needed.
Reordering list views on click is (imho) a big ui no-no. There might be a point to having grouping though (umbrella objects, group groups)

As for mouse wheel, it is set to scroll 1/10 of the total distance on every MW tick, which is almost to fast with my mouse. If your wheel doesn't tick enough, then your MW sensitivity is off (see mouse settings). My point is that I cannot dial up that setting without breaking it for everyone else. (maybe setting, but that is somewhat cumbersome...) Does your MW work fast enough in other apps?
V'ger wrote: - The sample editor doesn't work as expected since it doesn't show the sample I selected in group list pane (the splits), but instead I have to remember the name of the sample and find it in the list and open manually, a bit unintuitive. Ideally, it should automatically show the sample if a group only has one sample. Or, if a group has more than one sample, one of them opened (the lowermost?), with the others in clearly marked tabs in the editor window to switch between.
It works as intended. The sample list is not a subset of the group list, thus it should not select what you pick there. To quickly go to a sample from keymapper, just right-click in either key map view or on a split in the group list and choose "edit wave". It will jump to the sample editor with the wave selected.

You are obviously used to having things auto-filtered per group/zone selection, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I personally tend to dislike the ui switching "view" for me like that. Though a "filter" in f.ex. sample list to show only program/group active might be useful. But the problem comes when you want to create a new group from the samples in memory, and then have to switch mode back etc...
One tip is to make good use of the MIDI select feature. It makes (imho) jumping between groups/splits/samples very quick and easy (and tactile).

But at some point I'll have to make some modifications in the ui to handle larger group/sample sets better. Things get crowded fast... Wave matrix is one tool to deal with that though...
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:To quickly go to a sample from keymapper, just right-click in either key map view or on a split in the group list and choose "edit wave". It will jump to the sample editor with the wave selected.
Can this be done with a double-click on a split in the keymap view, perhaps?

Return to “Instruments”