TX16Wx Software Sampler 2.0 Beta Released - Announching TX16Wx Professional (Updated 2012-10-19)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I there a manual?
Yep, it got installed with the software

------------------
Also: CWI has its own forum here now: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=213
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:
I there a manual?
Yep, it got installed with the software

------------------
Also: CWI has its own forum here now: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=213
thanks, I'll locate it to my desktop... :)

I always try to dive in first without reading a manual anyway, to see how intuative/easy it is, but I will now need to refer to it...

tried it some time earlier, tried the latest beta - still the GUI doesnt get along with me, gonna stick with my good ol' Kontakt 3 ;)
but good luck developing it further nevertheless :)

Hello and congratulations on your sampler elcallio. It is making an impression in forums and it's about time for a modern free/affordable sampler.

I only tried it today and my first criticism is about the UI...

I think that it is a bad decision to use such small elements for a modern fresh product. I am talking about the tiny icons/buttons, small fonts. It makes for a more compact UI, sure, but there are several disadvantages.

First, you cannot operate this from a distance. You need to be close to the monitor.

Second, the industry is rapidly moving into touch screens (i.e. fat finger input) and very high resolution displays.

In general: Tiny and tightly packed UI elements are not usable by anything other than a mouse, having great vision and being close to a computer monitor.

The thing with programmers (me being one as well) is that they are prefer small fonts and as much information fitting in the smallest space possible. But this doesn't translate well when doing UIs for other human beings to use. ;)

Oh, and a question: You said in an earlier post that the installation is portable (after the installer is done). But I noticed that some files are placed in 'Program Files' and not everything is in the VST folder. How would I move everything into a portable folder that I could use, say, on a USB stick?

Evan wrote:Hello and congratulations on your sampler elcallio. It is making an impression in forums and it's about time for a modern free/affordable sampler.

I only tried it today and my first criticism is about the UI...

I think that it is a bad decision to use such small elements for a modern fresh product. I am talking about the tiny icons/buttons, small fonts. It makes for a more compact UI, sure, but there are several disadvantages.

First, you cannot operate this from a distance. You need to be close to the monitor.

Second, the industry is rapidly moving into touch screens (i.e. fat finger input) and very high resolution displays.

In general: Tiny and tightly packed UI elements are not usable by anything other than a mouse, having great vision and being close to a computer monitor.

The thing with programmers (me being one as well) is that they are prefer small fonts and as much information fitting in the smallest space possible. But this doesn't translate well when doing UIs for other human beings to use. ;)

Oh, and a question: You said in an earlier post that the installation is portable (after the installer is done). But I noticed that some files are placed in 'Program Files' and not everything is in the VST folder. How would I move everything into a portable folder that I could use, say, on a USB stick?
As for, UI: The sampler will be fully skinnable (eventually. All internal graphics defs are skin-based, but its not exposed). Thus I'll postpone opting a bigger UI for a while at least, if for no other reason than perhaps having talented enthusiasts build alternative looks. ;-)

I don't really see people using touch devices for real music production soon. Live sets maybe, but in truth, touch stuff is still to much toying still to be really useful in a "professional" environment, so I feel its my main concern (yet). Though I get the point.

And being a plugin, its a very hard tradeoff building a big ui, since you don't even control your screen estate. I don't really mind turning up the default sizes if enough people agree (except its a bit of a pain to re-render all icons...)

As for portable: The files in program files are documentation and format specs. They are not required for running the plugin.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

How do you best select groups if they are velocity splits and overlapping?

The ideal would be to for example hold down ctrl and left-clicking one in the keyboard mapping editor will select all belonging to that group. As it is now, in for example a drum kit where a key has mulitple layers, I have to rummage in the group control list for all the splits if I want to set output for all etc. Or is this already possible and I am doing something wrong?

Another thing is I wish zoom could be remembered for the keyboard mapping editor. As it is now the zoom I carefully set is gone next time I reopen the GUI..

Oh and a searchable database of samples and banks like in Shortcircuit 2 would be great. Switching between TX and SC2 I just realized how huge a feature that is. Not only for ease of use, but end result sound is actually better inasmuch as you are more likely to use a superior sample since actually finding it is greatly improved, especially if you have hundreds of folders.

V'ger wrote:How do you best select groups if they are velocity splits and overlapping?

The ideal would be to for example hold down ctrl and left-clicking one in the keyboard mapping editor will select all belonging to that group. As it is now, in for example a drum kit where a key has mulitple layers, I have to rummage in the group control list for all the splits if I want to set output for all etc. Or is this already possible and I am doing something wrong?
Well, simplest for you might simply be to use shift-drag over the range you want?
From no group selected:
- Click one group you want (lets say range C3-D3, 0-127)
- Now, shift-click-drag over this or more regions to add all overlapping groups.

Don't know if a "click-through" mode makes it easier... I'll ponder it.
V'ger wrote: Another thing is I wish zoom could be remembered for the keyboard mapping editor. As it is now the zoom I carefully set is gone next time I reopen the GUI..
Comes in next beta drop (b16).
V'ger wrote: Oh and a searchable database of samples and banks like in Shortcircuit 2 would be great. Switching between TX and SC2 I just realized how huge a feature that is. Not only for ease of use, but end result sound is actually better inasmuch as you are more likely to use a superior sample since actually finding it is greatly improved, especially if you have hundreds of folders.
Maybe, but not until v2 is done, and at the very least some TX Pro features are out. This is a feature that I'll need to design carefully if I add it.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:
V'ger wrote:How do you best select groups if they are velocity splits and overlapping?

Well, simplest for you might simply be to use shift-drag over the range you want?
From no group selected:
- Now, shift-click-drag over this or more regions to add all overlapping groups.
Hi, do you plan to update the manual wish such tips and usage tricks with the next beta ?

sinkmusic wrote:
elcallio wrote:

From no group selected:
Hi, do you plan to update the manual wish such tips and usage tricks with the next beta ?
I will of course update the manual, though I will not have time to both release the code this weekend and also update the manuals. But I will try to get the manual up-to-date during next week. I've somewhat purposely postponed some manual fixes because features/gui has not been quite set in stone...
But I hear you. Not always completely obvious how to do stuff... ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Well, we can wait, for the manual... releaaaaase the code ! :D
It was mostly a suggestion to add such usage tips in the manual at some point, but i understand that with such a fast update pace, you can't do everything at once ;)

elcallio wrote:
From no group selected:
Great, that works well. (as long as it's zoomed properly)
elcallio wrote:
V'ger wrote:Another thing is I wish zoom could be remembered for the keyboard mapping editor. As it is now the zoom I carefully set is gone next time I reopen the GUI..
Comes in next beta drop (b16).
Super
elcallio wrote:
V'ger wrote: Oh and a searchable database of samples and banks like in Shortcircuit 2 would be great. Switching between TX and SC2 I just realized how huge a feature that is. Not only for ease of use, but end result sound is actually better inasmuch as you are more likely to use a superior sample since actually finding it is greatly improved, especially if you have hundreds of folders.
Maybe, but not until v2 is done, and at the very least some TX Pro features are out. This is a feature that I'll need to design carefully if I add it.
Cheers
I really hope you will. A bit cheeky, but try Shortcircuit2 for a bit to see how immensly useful feature that is. Type for example snare and in 1 second all snares you have are listed neatly and audotionable etc. Maybe you can use the open source Locate32 for something?

Oh, and another thing I found is that the mousewheel scrolling speed is painfully slow in the group list pane.

Didn't you have to manually refresh the SC database? or was it that the browser only showed files in it's designated dbase? I recall a slight annoyance about something in the procedure.

Yes manually start the database refresh. Much preferred over automatic as there will be no unwanted interruptions and you obviously know when new stuff has been installed and needs to be included.

What is the difference between TX16W and Shortcircuit?

Do I need TX16W if I've got Shortcircuit?

Why not try it out and see for yourself?

Return to “Instruments”