TX16Wx Software Sampler 2.0 Beta Released - Announching TX16Wx Professional (Updated 2012-10-19)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

adevg wrote:Root keys are only accessable via the keyboard if first set in the sample editor, then the root key is no longer playable on the keyboard only selectable for movement of the root key.

I did read the manual ...
No mention of manually moving slice start end points and i haven't been able to do so yet either, so please explain ?
If you add a non-pitched sound (no root key in sample), you need to add a root explicitly. You can do so by double-clicking the root field in the split entry in the group list (below mapper). Once defined you can then drag the root key across the keyboard.
This is perhaps a few more steps than you like, but the instrument makes quite a distinction between pitched and non-pitched sounds, mainly for the auto mappers benefit. Once you add a root key to a sample you have changed its status "forever". Note that dropping one or more non-pitched waves will map as a non-pitched group (drums) by default. For these, using key shift/tune might be a better idea than setting the root.

The slices are essentially loops with a different purpose. Just move the start/end of a selected slice (expand the loops list beneath the sample) to adjust the position/length. You can also delete or add slices manually (add loop, set mode to slice/pinned slice). Note that once a slice is set as "pinned" you cannot move its range using graphically (but you can still tweak the value field).
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

adevg wrote:Image
Also as you can see some sample files are not showing the entire sample (Notice the part missing at the end)

Do you have a forum to report this stuff or just want it all here ?
There will be an official forum soon, so lets try to keep it out of this topic for now. Not sure why the end of that sample is drawn silent (unless it is). Can you send me the wave file?
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

OK so i have found the issue with the beat marker manually moving too..
1 You have to double click a marker for a slice selection to appear (No mention in the manual)
2 If the first slice marker is in the same position as the loop start, cant be selected
3 If the slice marker is in the same place as the end of the previous slice, can't be selected

Maybe thse things are down to my OS (Win XP32 SP3)

As you can see in this image i cant select slice 1 and can only select slice 3 when i move the end of slice 2 ;)

Gotta go to work now, but i hope this helps

Cheers

Sorry , wont report anything else till you have a forum :(

The feature list looks really tasty, congratulations.

- Is it possible to grab a bunch of one-shot slices, and it would build a drumkit by mapping each sample to a key ?
It would be a great time saver (not having to manually define a keymapping for each sample, etc) :)

- Do you plan to add more sample format reading abilities ? (like .gig, etc)

- How do you save presets ? I mean, do you have the choice to keep the samples at their original place, or create a sub-folder for the preset, including all the wave files ?

- If a sample is lost, removed, renamed, do you have an intelligent search feature ?

- (i guess the answer is "yes, of course", but i can't find it written right now : it is obviously multi-timbral, but is it also multi-layer capable ? I mean : can you define that above a defined velocity, it would play another sample ?

- DO you have any plan to add time-stretching (even with the open-source SoundTOuch) ? It would be great for old school jungle loop mangling !

I read this :
100% documented XML-based sound file format.
Anyone can write conversion tools.
So does this mean that with some skills, someone could write some kind of "macro" to use it as a replacement for Waldorf's Spectre, and use it as a sample mapper for the BLofeld ? :love:

.GIG wouldn't make sense without DFD.

sinkmusic wrote:The feature list looks really tasty, congratulations.

- Is it possible to grab a bunch of one-shot slices, and it would build a drumkit by mapping each sample to a key ?
It would be a great time saver (not having to manually define a keymapping for each sample, etc) :)
Right now you can sort of do this by setting up a number of loops around the sample parts you want and set them as slice/pinned slice, then just drag the sample to the keymapper to do a slice layout. This will work just as multiple samples mapped. You cannot (yet) drag an individual slice. But that is a good idea.
sinkmusic wrote: - Do you plan to add more sample format reading abilities ? (like .gig, etc)
Yes. Not sure about gigasampler, since I actively oppose disk streaming ;-)
But Akai and EMU comes to mind. This is somewhat in the future, and some formats might be restricted to TX Pro.
sinkmusic wrote: - How do you save presets ? I mean, do you have the choice to keep the samples at their original place, or create a sub-folder for the preset, including all the wave files ?
You can save either the whole bank, a single performance or a single program to disk by clicking the "save" button (shift-click for save as), or just use the edit menus.
When saving you can click "copy content" to recursively save all sub-items and waves in the same folder. You will then get a hierarchy with a Samples subdir with your waves in.

If you don't enable copy content, all sub items will remain in their original location (if they have one) and reference by path (relative to any matching path in the "places" list).

When you save a project in your DAW, TX16Wx will only copy modified sample data (but keep local copies of other sound data) unless you select either "Save all waves in FXB" or "Copy waves to DAW project folder". The latter is a good way to keep your projects self-contained.
sinkmusic wrote: - If a sample is lost, removed, renamed, do you have an intelligent search feature ?
It's fairly intelligent. You will be asked to locate the first missing sample (file selector, with preview ability). Once you pick this TX16Wx will try to resolve all other missing files searching relative this folder. It will also search in your "places" folder set.
sinkmusic wrote: - (i guess the answer is "yes, of course", but i can't find it written right now : it is obviously multi-timbral, but is it also multi-layer capable ? I mean : can you define that above a defined velocity, it would play another sample ?
Groups have both key and velocity range. By making groups and placing their vel. ranges "stacked" you build a velocity switched instrument. You can also use velocity mapping (or ranged velocity) to create velocity crossfade.
sinkmusic wrote: - DO you have any plan to add time-stretching (even with the open-source SoundTOuch) ? It would be great for old school jungle loop mangling !
It is certainly in my "maybe" list. :-) I doubt I will manage to do this for the 2.0 time frame, but yes, its a requested feature.
sinkmusic wrote: I read this :
100% documented XML-based sound file format.
Anyone can write conversion tools.
So does this mean that with some skills, someone could write some kind of "macro" to use it as a replacement for Waldorf's Spectre, and use it as a sample mapper for the BLofeld ? :love:
All sound data (bank, perf, prog) are in XML format. Check the "schemas" directory in your installation for specifications of the syntax.
Not sure how the formats you mention look, but yes, you can with relative ease create a converter to most anything.

Cheers
/C
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

elcallio wrote:This is not a player instrument, esp. not a direct from disk player.
Totally agree with this. This is all about sampling, sound mangling etc. Leave the monster multi GB soundbank player stuff to Kontakt etc. This thing actually samples! Never mind huge multisampled instruments - you can go have fun making your own sounds with this.

Sorry for probably being among the hundreds that asked the same question, but why do you actively oppose DFD? It's made our lives a lot easier and the instruments a lot more intricate and detailed...

EvilDragon wrote:Sorry for probably being among the hundreds that asked the same question, but why do you actively oppose DFD? It's made our lives a lot easier and the instruments a lot more intricate and detailed...
Well, all jokes aside, I don't mind disk streaming per se, I just don't see it as a tool for what I consider "synthesizer sampling", i.e using sample content to create and mangle new sounds, not imitating real ones.

Disk streaming typically makes sense for "brute-force" acoustic imitations
(piano, guitar etc), using crazy long samples and many many velocity layers -> huge sample set. These types of sounds are a life saver if you are a studio or composer needing to make music that sounds like you have real instruments, an orchestra and whatnot, and I respect the use case. Its just not really what I want to use a sampler for (though I love having a sampled guitar or brass etc, but...)
In my book, making a great sound with a few, small samples is the real challenge and the real joy of sampling. So thats what I aimed the TX16Wx at.

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, the forum devil gets to me. ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

It's alright. I can understand your point too. Hell, I have a Kurzweil PC3K8 myself, so I know that small samples can sound big if you do just the right thing to them.

I'll still support your cause, 20€ will be coming your way one of these days! :)

Thank you for your detailled reply, ElCallio. It seems you have made an outstanding sampler with a fair price for the pro version.
I definitively have to try it !
elcallio wrote:
sinkmusic wrote:- Is it possible to grab a bunch of one-shot slices, and it would build a drumkit by mapping each sample to a key ?
Right now you can sort of do this by setting up a number of loops around the sample parts you want and set them as slice/pinned slice, then just drag the sample to the keymapper to do a slice layout. This will work just as multiple samples mapped. You cannot (yet) drag an individual slice. But that is a good idea.
Sorry, i was unclear : i meant "...a bunch of one shot samples".
I would like to grab a bunch of one shot samples from the browser, and it would assign each of them to a single key of the keyboard (then, if i want i still can change the mapping, but still it would be done in a fast & automatic way.
Is it possible yet ?

Thanks for the reply about presets, sample storage and format-reading.
The intelling search is great, and so is the velocity groups.
sinkmusic wrote: - DO you have any plan to add time-stretching (even with the open-source SoundTOuch) ? It would be great for old school jungle loop mangling !
It is certainly in my "maybe" list. :-) I doubt I will manage to do this for the 2.0 time frame, but yes, its a requested feature. [/quote]
Maybe if the sampler allows looping sustain and release points, we can get some sort of stuttering effect on a portion of sample, and if we modulate the sustain/release points, we can get some granular effect, right ?
Count my +1 voice for time-stretching asap :)

sinkmusic wrote:with some skills, someone could write some kind of "macro" to use it as a replacement for Waldorf's Spectre, and use it as a sample mapper for the BLofeld ? :love:
All sound data (bank, perf, prog) are in XML format. Check the "schemas" directory in your installation for specifications of the syntax.
Not sure how the formats you mention look, but yes, you can with relative ease create a converter to most anything. [/quote]
Spectreis an utility software made by Waldorf to allow exporting samples into the Blofeld.
It is nice, but very limited and i fear it won't get updated anytime soon.
And i am convinced that the Blofeld can be a killer drum machine if you load your own samples in it, but making a kit takes forever so i always gave up...
Your sampler could be a killer 2-in-1 combo :D
Did you consider making some cheap but payware 3d party content (like sample libraries or "enabling" some sample format for reading or export, or, like in this case, a "Blofeld export" option, etc ?

Ah, and thank you for having a sampler which actually samples... and audio editing features !

Can we copy/paste parts from a slice into another slice (for instanace, take the 3d slice from a loop, and insert or paste it into the 4th slice slot of another loop ?

Does it have some randomization features ?

Amazing how smooth it was to drag 30 drumsamples and ... uh .. done :) :tu:
:hug:

Thank you very much for this awesome instrument!
I have a little bug report, though: with Cubase SX - windows XP sp2, the stereo channels appear in the mixer as two separate mono channels, one of which is much louder.
Everything else seems to work.

Is there a way to disable the plugin reporting sample names to piano roll keys? Kinda looks too busy in Reaper here:

Also seems that plugin outputs aren't named correctly:

Wouldn't it be:

S1
S2
S3
etc.

instead of how it is currently?

Sorry for nitpicks, but you'll get them more and more as soon as you open your forum. :)

Return to “Instruments”