Step Sequencers in VST format. Are there any?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need something that I can use to trigger other plug ins. Free or not I do not mind. I actually think I would prefer a commercial one because freeware guis do not appeal to me. Any suggestions?

Edit
This issues been resolved thanks all
Last edited by KevWestBeats on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Check out Thesys.

there's a bunch of reaktor sequencers that work well as VSTs

if you're on a mac you could get numerology. it works perfectly as a VST and is the most comprehensive step sequencer around for that kind of thing.

Energy XT

Thank you for the replies. I am on windows 7 64 bit I am looking for something specific to trigger say a drum sound I have in Sylenth or something else of that nature that I can run inside of Live. Energy XT seems to be a complete DAW of its own I am checking out Thysis now.

KevWestBeats wrote:Thank you for the replies. I am on windows 7 64 bit I am looking for something specific to trigger say a drum sound I have in Sylenth or something else of that nature that I can run inside of Live. Energy XT seems to be a complete DAW of its own I am checking out Thysis now.
Energy XT also works as a plugin :)

Actually, I am looking for something similar - a replacement for the step sequencer that is available in Sonar as I have moved away from it a while ago.

Thesys looks good but it's too pricey for my needs. Is there anything else available?

I might actually try some of the step sequencers that come with Reaktor...

Aaahh...I remember looking at Numerology and contemplating switching to Mac a year ago :P Maybe when then new generation of iMac comes out I will reconsider ;-)

Reaktor can be used as a vst sequencer. And in Reaktor user library you have about 1000 different sequencers to choose from.

KevWestBeats wrote:Thank you for the replies. I am on windows 7 64 bit I am looking for something specific to trigger say a drum sound I have in Sylenth or something else of that nature that I can run inside of Live. Energy XT seems to be a complete DAW of its own I am checking out Thysis now.
You have Live... Use the Racks... There are the Drum Racks, Instrument Racks, and use midi clips... You have a remarkable tool right there already

There is nothing better than Numerology!!!
Bought a MacMini and a MIDI Interface only to use this.
You could do all your sequencerdreams with Numerology.
There is also a very nice Forum at Five12 with a lot of presets or complete stacks to start.
Keep your setup and add a small Mac even an older cheap one, like a used macbook or so on

Proud to have a nearly animal free studio - no Camels and no Zebras, just two little Capybaras

Loomer are working on something that may help PC users lusting for numerology:
Actually, I guess I could tease you with a few more details, and a (more or less) finished look at one of the parts.

The next product is called Epoch, and it's a modular sequencing environment. Think Thesys + Reaktor. At the most basic level, you have a massively powerful set of step sequencers, with all the nice features you'd expect (forward, reverse, pendulum playback modes; grooves; step repeat and skip, and a huge amount more). But you can also modulate each sequencer with every other sequencer; a pair of CV rows could be used to control the start and end loop markers of another sequencer, for example, or could slowly step through a numbers of keys and scales (which can be fully customised, fans of the Mela Sadvidhamargini scale will be pleased to hear).

But if that isn't enough, you can also dive in at a lower level and start creating your own sequencers, arpeggiators, generators, and processors. Presented below is the Routing Window (actually, it's a macro, within a macro, within the Routing window). Here, we're seeing the core logic for a little neural net influenced generative sequencer I'm playing with. This macro can be copied and re-used as required: in fact, this particular generator uses 8 of these. Also note the Lua module and script editor: sometimes, connecting components together to form complex functional blocks is a little cumbersome: for these occasions, you can code your own module logic directly using the built-in Lua scripting environment.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2g9h ... /epoch.png

Audio Unit users will also be pleased to hear that it hosts plug-ins directly, so there are no pains with IAC's dodgy MIDI timing when used in Logic. Epoch will be available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Next teaser will be the sequencer window itself, but that will, I'm afraid, have to wait until another day!
[/img]

dave dove wrote:Loomer are working on something that may help PC users lusting for numerology:
Looks very interesting, thanks;
CPB wrote:I've had a query about more advanced sequencing options, specifically: can Epoch do Cirklon style Accumulators. To which the answer is yes ... and then some. With such a massively flexible routing engine behind the sequencers, Epoch excels at this type of thing.

Here's a simple example, in which a sequencer module (Accumulating Riff) not only produces the notes, it also generates the CV sequence to control a Counter module, which in turns feeds into into the sequencer's transpose and rate.* The CV sequence in question is empty aside from a single high-gate value at the end of the sequence. So every time the sequence finish, the high-gate increments the counter, which in turns transposes and accelerates the sequencer.

Note here that the wires which flow between the modules feature a few niceties to make them a little less intrusive when you're using your network: you can change the tautness of a wire, and make them partially transparent (in which case, you can click through them: very handy when you've finished routing and just want to tweak them controls!)

This sort of configuration only takes a few seconds to build, but for more complex examples, you can wrap things up in a re-usable macro: ideal as a starting point for new projects.

I aim to reveal the actually sequencer UI itself next, the flip-side to the routing, but until then, by all means don't hesitate to ask any questions.

* Square-shaped ports to the left of the labels signify Input; circles on the right of labels signify Outputs. Inputs can only go to Outputs, but besides that there are no limitations on how modules can be connected. The above example also illustrates that feedback is possible, with two modules both modulating each other.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Instruments”