Tone2 Rayblaster: OUT NOW! (demo version available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

ETA is early Jan, but no exact date as yet.
Eternitysound VST Banks

GeorgeZ wrote:ETA is early Jan, but no exact date as yet.
Just noticed this too. I guess it was planned to be released this year but there seems to be a small delay.

Anyway demos are already available here (already posted no comments so far...):

http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1378.0

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

A dark pad - lost on a planet, surrounded by infinite desert.

Hopefully this sound demonstrates that RB is capable of darker timbres.

Dust and Bones

What I like about RB is that it is very easy to bring out those formants - which sometimes resemble a vocal tract or a bowed string or some kind of hybrid - like the sound above shows. It is very subtle in this example though (it's audible on the vibrato part).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:A dark pad - lost on a planet, surrounded by infinite desert.

Dust and Bones

What I like about RB is that it is very easy to bring out those formants - which sometimes resemble a vocal tract or a bowed string or some kind of hybrid - like the sound above shows. It is very subtle in this example though (it's audible on the vibrato part).
Sound fantastic. :harp:
"What embecile composed this list :/"

himalaya wrote:Dust and Bones
Wonderful! :love:

himalaya wrote: Dust and Bones
This is a fantastic, Yazoo-free sound. (I am starting to get some of these threads mixed up.)
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dust and Bones

Hi Raphael,

beautiful demo indeed. :)

It is really amazing how easy it is sometimes to get really interesting sounds with Rayblaster. IMO this synth is a sound designers dream and perfect for doing pad sounds.
Even when i start with a certain sound in my mind i easily get lost with using my own waveforms (from which there are quite many now) and sometimes i don't have an idea to what this will lead. As already mentioned this is also based on the fact that some waveforms create a broad spectrum of possible timbres while changing the Formant value (unlike using "standard" filters).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Dust and Bones

Nice example...

What I like about RB (besides the formants you mention) is the way complex noise is a part of the sound...

You mean the three noise options? I like those too, the 'Formant Noise' especially.

@FrantzM
'Yazzo free sound'... :hihi: one of these days we'll have to lock you up in a room surrounded by Yazzo posters and 'Don't Go' playing on a loop. You will see the light in no time. :P BTW, it seems that you have missed my electronic Erhu demo from a few pages back...that's even further removed from synth pop... :D

@Ingo,
Yeah RB is a great atmospheres/pads machine, however, it would help to have at least one multi-stage envelope and/or a smoothing parameter for the Arp/gate steps to get a smooth transition between all steps (something like this is available in Halion Sonic's arp).

himalaya wrote: 'Yazzo free sound'... :hihi: one of these days we'll have to lock you up in a room surrounded by Yazzo posters and 'Don't Go' playing on a loop. You will see the light in no time. :P
Torture! :help:

Actually I think 'Don't Go' is not too bad. It's not as bright, chipper, and bouncy as some of Vince's other sugary synthpop confections. I'm a grumpy old man and I don't want to spoil my bad mood with happy music.
himalaya wrote: BTW, it seems that you have missed my electronic Erhu demo from a few pages back...that's even further removed from synth pop... :D

I heard it and it was very good.

FrantzM wrote:
Torture! :help:
:hihi:

'Don't Go' and 'Nobody's Diary'. This is creme de la creme of 80s synth pop for me. Good ol' Vince. Kind of going off topic here :scared: :D I wonder what Mr. Clarke would create with RayBlaster though (swiftly bringing it back on topic :hihi: ).

himalaya wrote:Yeah RB is a great atmospheres/pads machine, however, it would help to have at least one multi-stage envelope and/or a smoothing parameter for the Arp/gate steps to get a smooth transition between all steps (something like this is available in Halion Sonic's arp).

Raphael,

to set the amount of smoothness for the arp/gate is possible to use the same method used for Saurus using the "X" value option in the modulation matrix.

- Send the arp/step to the "X" value like in the picture below (100%)
- Route the Filter(X) source to the desired destination

The amount of the second slot determines the level of smoothness applied to the destination (lower values = smoother results).

Now. Try adding Arp/Step+ to Osc Formant. And boost the amount of modulation. You will get steps. The problem is , without Arp/Step > Osc Formant, the 'X' mod will not have a desired formant timbre.

himalaya wrote:Now. Try adding Arp/Step+ to Osc Formant. And boost the amount of modulation. You will get steps. The problem is , without Arp/Step > Osc Formant, the 'X' mod will not have a desired formant timbre.
Try to experiment by using the "X*X" modulator in the second slot instead of "Filter(X)" (try to experiment also with the other X options).

Also experiment using the arpeggiator in gate or arp mode: this seems to produce different results (using X*X and the arpeggiator in arp mode seems fine to me, the formant timbre is more present compared with the FilterX modulator).

Another interesting thing is to modulate the xValue slot with a LFO: this add more "juice" to the sound... :D

himalaya wrote:You mean the three noise options? I like those too, the 'Formant Noise' especially.
I didn't mean those specifically... just that even without noise added, it is easy to have some nice noise that modulates and works with the overall sound...

Return to “Instruments”