Tone2 Rayblaster: OUT NOW! (demo version available)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RayBlaster

ChiTown24 wrote:a-ha, well in that case I retract what I said about mis-managing discounts ;)
I'll get on to Bastiaan about adding me to the newsletter, cheers!
:tu:

To subscribe just go here: http://www.tone2.com/html/news_free_upd ... lease.html ;)

ChiTown24 wrote:thank you Gamma-UT!
Exactly what I was looking for! Indeed, site search is always the way to go but I guess I was choosing poor search queries today

thanks maxsynths for your help, but i've got the answer I was looking for now :)

So, my mind was playing tricks. same discount I was offered. still though, in principle I'm not into how they've handled the loyalty discounts on this one. the discount should just be applied unilaterally & automatically, and not just given to those of us who perhaps linger around forums too much and happened to notice there is an opportunity to make a considerable saving if we email and ask for one.

I'm buying this synth though, it's really kool. I won't be using it for emulating analogs or even other emulations, i'll be using it for sounding awesome & unashamedly digital.
There is an opportunity to win between 100$ and 250$ to be spent in the Tone2 shop:

http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1361.0

Maybe this would be also interesting for you and others to save some more money...

That link was part of my list of current Tone2 projects i posted today.

Deadline is 27th of December and until then the first Rayblaster soundset could be maybe available too...

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Do you happen to know if those loyalty discounts expire at some point ? Specifically if they expire before the competition winners are announced :)

All Tone2 synths sounds like they have a limiter or maximizer of some kind applied to them. And you can't remove it!? Is this true? Are the sounds put through a hard compressor or limiter inside the VSTi?
I find it difficult to make dynamic and rich sounds with Tone2 products. Dynamically static and hard sequenced sounds are easy though.

I don't like that almost all presets have Reverb on them by default, to make the sounds sound more rich than they really are. I don't like this.
Last edited by cnt on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiTown24 wrote:Do you happen to know if those loyalty discounts expire at some point ? Specifically if they expire before the competition winners are announced :)
Seriously i got no idea also as this is a special case. I am doing beta testing and sound design for Tone2 but i am not involved with the competition and the discounts.
The usual answer (like mostly...) is: please ask Bastiaan... :) :oops:

If you like you could also post your question here:
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1361.0

As you seem to be an existing customer you should be able to post there (i have not checked if you are already registered).
If you are nor registered you cloud do it here (you'll need your ShareIt order number):
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?PH ... n=register

The competition seems to be open for everyone as only the demo version is required and results are posted by email.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

cnt wrote:All Tone2 synths sounds like they have a limiter or maximizer of some kind applied to them. And you can't remove it!? Is this true? Are the sounds put through a hard compressor or limiter inside the VSTi?
I find it difficult to make dynamic and rich sounds with Tone2 products. Dynamically static and hard sequenced sounds are easy though.

I don't like that almost all presets have Reverb on them by default, to make the sounds sound more rich than they really are. I don't like this.
In Rayblaster you could select different modes like e.h. "psychoacostic", "Bass Boost" etc. from the Setup menu (at the place where the mod matrix is). In the FXs tab (same place) you could also choose many different FXs including a Compressor. Anyway in both the setup menu and the Fx section you could turn those off.

In Saurus besides the Fx section (where you could turn of all FXs with the corresponding knobs) you got the "Boost" button which adds psychoacoustic processing but could be turned off.

In ElectraX you got different modes like in Rayblaster plus two sources for FXs (which both could be set to "off") and some additional knobs for a simple EQ.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

cnt wrote:All Tone2 synths sounds like they have a limiter or maximizer of some kind applied to them. And you can't remove it!? Is this true? Are the sounds put through a hard compressor or limiter inside the VSTi?

No, it's not true, as far as I am aware. There is no compressor or limiter in the signal chain.

If you don't want verb on a preset, you can just turn it off.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Based on a KVR thread about FM synths i just had the idea to use FM8 to create some waveforms for Rayblaster. Started with just two OPs and even with that got some interesting results.
created a row of waveforms starting from C:M ratio of 1:0.25 up to 1:5 and now building a "wavetable" with crossfading (for use in Rayblaster) from this.

This helps both for getting more interesting waveforms and maybe to more understand some basic principles of FM. I'll maybe publish the first results/waveforms in this thread soon.

UPDATE:

Here are the first waveforms and one wavetable to see what i talk about:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/IW_FM ... ms%201.zip

Those are created with just two operators in FM8 with quite simple parameters but the results are already quite interesting. When loaded into Rayblaster they will create their own "fantasy" filter response which leads to interesting result even the most simple one and you could combine up to 4 waveforms in a single Rayblaster preset.
All waveforms got around the same size which means they are not all "real" single cycles. If needed you could edit them yourself or just "zoom" into them inside Rayblaster using the harmonic value.

The file names show the settings used in FM:
- 50% = a FM amount of 50%
- 1M1C = 1 modulator, 1 carrier
- 2.00 ; 1 = a M/C ratio of 2.00 to 1.00
(semikolon used instead of double point as this is not available for file names)

The wavetable is constructed from all "50%" waveforms with some crossfading which was done in Steinberg Wavelab Elements 7.

UPDATE:
More waveforms with different Ratios and some "basic" waveforms created with FM added.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Hey, a good Idea to make Waves with FM8. Absynth also I will try.

PietW. wrote:Hey, a good Idea to make Waves with FM8. Absynth also I will try.
I just noticed a problem with those waveforms while doing some more tests in FM8 and reading an article about how to create a.g. a Square wave.

It seems that when i use the init preset of FM8 and use two opaerators like for this example the waveform seems to "flip" between two different ones at each key press. One of those two is the waveform also displayed in FM8 and the other not. If i enter values that could fit to e.g. a Square wave i get this only at the second key press too.
While the waveforms i got are interesting for sure finding basic principles is difficult this way...

So far i have not found what causes that change of the waveform.

Maybe one way to solve this is to record the note presses again which should then result in two different waveforms. I'll try to test that.
Maybe it's good that i already got a "counter" at the end of the file name ("#1") so maybe i could do two different waveforms for each ratio...

UPDATE:
Just tried to record two key presses at once and got both waveforms now.
Anyway this seems to be random since now the first waveform is the other one.
I guess i'll need some work until this is really sorted.

UPDATE:
After reloading the same project i get only one waveform now which seems to be the same as displayed in FM8 now. This is really confusing and i'll check the other waveforms now but it looks like now i will get the correct ones. I'll update the link as soon as possible and a few waveforms have been already updated.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

I bought RayBlaster last night. As expected, it is turning out to be a good pad machine. I can spend hours fiddling around with a patch getting all kinds of subtle variations. Overall, I'm satisfied with it. It's a pretty innovative synth which is also quite easy to use.

Minor complaints so far:

- Requiring two mouse clicks instead of one to change oscillators. There should be a way to quickly scroll through the choices.

- When I close and reopen RB, it no longer displays the current oscillator or patch names.

The way they handled the loyalty discount is a little annoying. I was ready to buy it last night and didn't want to wait at least a day to receive an email with the discounted price. So I used the link in the newsletter which included Warmverb (which is actually multi-effects not just reverb) for free. Warmverb is OK but I probably won't use it much since I have other FX that I think are better quality.

FrantzM wrote:.....
Minor complaints so far:

- Requiring two mouse clicks instead of one to change oscillators. There should be a way to quickly scroll through the choices.

if you have a mouse with a wheel, you can use that to easily change oscillators.
rsp

zvenx wrote:if you have a mouse with a wheel, you can use that to easily change oscillators.
Duh! :dog:

Thanks for the tip! :)

np. I only know cause Markus said it to someone on their forum.
rsp
sound sculptist

FrantzM wrote:
zvenx wrote:if you have a mouse with a wheel, you can use that to easily change oscillators.
Duh! :dog:

Thanks for the tip! :)
Does not work in Ableton Live. The problem seems to be on Abletons side but hopefully is solved soon.
If i use Rayblaster in Reaper it works.

BTW while doing an audio demo i found that the load/save function for the Arp/Velocity patterns (from File menu) is really useful. If you find a nice Arp you save it as a file and the reload it in your own preset. There is a also a big collection of factory patterns that is interesting.
Also using the Arp as a modulations source could lead to some cool results.

Both the Arp load/save and using the pattern for modulation could be used in the Sauris v1.1 public beta (AFAIK modulation was already possible before):
http://www.tone2.org/forum/index.php?topic=1354.0

Finally for those who hav not recognized the range of the LFOs like in Saurus goes up to 440 Hz...

UPDATE:
In the public Saurus forum i asked how far the arp files of Saurus and Rayblater are compatible and the answer of Markus is:
"The arp files are nearly compatible. 95% of the arps will load in the other synth. In some you'll have to fix the 'Arp key mode' parameter and resave it."

The Arps contain sligtly different parameters in some cases so they could not all be totally compatible.

Sounds nice to me. I'll try to test this myself soon.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Return to “Instruments”