U-no-LX VS Diva

Diva
59%
U-no-LX
41%

Total votes: 128

RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I decided to demo U-no-lx. It sounds great, but I'm wondering if there is really a point in getting it if I already have Diva? I does run less on CPU, but I don't really care about that since Diva has different quality modes for realtime use. I'm just asking about the sound.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I think only you can answer that. *suspense music plays*
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

If you feel they compliment each other,then get both :)
If not then don't :)

DIVA can give you Minimoog and MS20 type sounds better than any other softsynth.

For accurate Roland Juno sounds TAL-Uno-LX is unrivalled and good enough to replace the actual Juno 60 synthesizer.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I'm definitely in agreement that U-no is great, but I'm wondering if I can actually do the same thing with Diva.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:I'm definitely in agreement that U-no is great, but I'm wondering if I can actually do the same thing with Diva.
I own the Lx and have demoed Diva. I was demoing Diva in the hope that it would get me closest to the Juno 60 vibe. Diva made some great Juno-ish sounds for me. Butt....

I would say though as an owner of a hardware Juno 6 and 60 that the TOGU LX version is a winner for me as it is laid out as per the real thing and includes the arp, the chorus, the ranges of the sliders mimic that of the hardware. Getting the sounds I used to get on the hardware is so much quicker with the LX. Getting sounds I used to get on hardware in Diva are a little trickier IMHO.

My only gripe with the LX is that in higher resonances where the filter is quite open it sounds a little 'digital' and 'bell like' . I don't know how else to describe it (this is with the latest version)

Diva's filters were far tastier at extreme settings.
ableton 9.0.5 x32, FL11, Qosmio F750, Motu Microbook,Win 7 x64
Soundcloud

foetus666 wrote:I own the Lx and have demoed Diva. I was demoing Diva in the hope that it would get me closest to the Juno 60 vibe. Diva made some great Juno-ish sounds for me. Butt....

I would say though as an owner of a hardware Juno 6 and 60 that the TOGU LX version is a winner for me as it is laid out as per the real thing and includes the arp, the chorus, the ranges of the sliders mimic that of the hardware. Getting the sounds I used to get on the hardware is so much quicker with the LX. Getting sounds I used to get on hardware in Diva are a little trickier IMHO.
That's a good way to contrast them. If someone is specifically going for a Juno 6 or 60, the U-No-LX is the way to go. If someone wants Juno types of sounds and doesn't need absolute authenticity there, or if they want a Juno 106, DIVA is an excellent way to go.

Personally, I'm not terribly in love with the Juno 60 sound and I love putting the Juno oscillators through different filters in DIVA.

U-No-LX sounds like a Juno 60/106, which is not a great sounding analog IMO. The Juno 60/106 has it's own sound, but it's far from the fattest, snappiest, and most bad-ass of the classic analogs. Instead, it's a pretty good sounding analog synth. There's definitely a place for that sound. Especially if you want an 80's goth vibe, which is what I always associate with the 60/106.

DIVA sounds like the higher end Roland synths, which means it just sounds better (bigger, fatter, snappier, more hi-fi). DIVA's also especially good at the whole Minimoog and MS-20 thing.

In short: DIVA's infinitely more versatile, and just sounds better. But the U-No-LX is just as good an emulation IMO. It's just a great emulation of a lesser synth.

...and this is all just personal opinion. I've never been in love with the 60/106 sound, but for $40 you'd be insane not to have that as an option in U-No-LX.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:U-No-LX sounds like a Juno 60/106
It sounds like a Juno 6/60 ..NOT like a 106 !

I agree that a Juno is not a Jupiter , but the sound is great and VERY usable as proven in thousands of records.

U-NO-LX is an AMAZING virtual replica of the Juno 6/60 and as mentioned before almost identical to the hardware
minus the filter in extreme settings.
I don't know any other plug in that comes as close to the hardware it emaulates as this one.

zlatan wrote:
Aren't the 60's and 106's almost identical? I've used both, and there's not a whole lot of difference between them from what I remember. What? VCO's vs. DCO's maybe? Then MIDI and arp? It's not a huge difference from what I remember.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I've never been in love with the 60/106 sound, but for $40 you'd be insane not to have that as an option in U-No-LX.
Agreed.

zlatan wrote:I agree that a Juno is not a Jupiter , but the sound is great and VERY usable as proven in thousands of records.
Thousands? That's probably more true of the Juno 106, which is in DIVA.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
zlatan wrote:
Aren't the 60's and 106's almost identical? I've used both, and there's not a whole lot of difference between them from what I remember. What? VCO's vs. DCO's maybe? Then MIDI and arp? It's not a huge difference from what I remember.
They're not identical at all. If you have a chance to compare them side by side you'll notice the difference immediately.
Besides the technical/hardware differences the 6/60 sound "dark/warm/fat" and the 106 more HiFi.

Uncle E wrote: Thousands? That's probably more true of the Juno 106, which is in DIVA.
I purposely said Juno and didn't specify which one as I don't have facts of which is used the most on records.

Regardless , today's market value of a 60 is much higher than the 106.
Why do you think that is ?

zlatan wrote:Regardless , today's market value of a 60 is much higher than the 106.
Why do you think that is ?
Clearly, it's because people are sheep who buy into anything that says VCO, regardless of how crap the 60 sounds. ;)

I'm just winding you up, don't take that seriously. I've been around synths for decades now and 106's were going for twice as much as 60's for the longest time. It's actually pretty surprising to me to see 60's selling in the $700-800 range, it wasn't long ago that you could get a Jupiter 6 for that amount.

btw, here's my personal Roland collection:

TR-909
TR-808
Jupiter 6
Jupiter 4
2 x MKS-80 with programmer
MKS-70
MKS-50
MKS-30
MKS-7
2 x Juno 106

Return to “Instruments”