U-no-LX VS Diva

Diva
59%
U-no-LX
41%

Total votes: 128

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I don't get it either. I've had some playing time with both 60's and 106's (now that I think of it, mostly 106's) and I just don't get the fascination with them.

<snip>

Now that said, at $40 (for what to my memory sounds like an accurate emulation) you'd be crazy not to buy the TAL version.
100% agreed, from beginning to end. :)
Last edited by Uncle E on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:
bailees7irish wrote:
TheoM wrote:I actually can't stand the Tal thingy, but that's judging purely on the presets, of which i tested every single one. I don't know how it can even be compared in the same realm as Diva.

That said, if someone has a bank that they believe shows what it is truly capable of, please let me know, as i can't be this wrong when it is loved by so many. I am willing to admit there simply must be something i am missing.

cheers
I smell a u-he fanboy :hihi:
I smell a preset bunny who can't tweak for the life of him. :D

Hey i happen to have a HUGE amount of respect for URS but i can't possibly be a fanboy when the only product of his i currently "own" is an NFR of Zebra2. There was a time when i owned Diva and ACE and to be honest my fave of his is Ace as an overall cpu/sound compromise, but since i am working mostly on my laptop now i am really working with stuff that has a low cpu/sound payoff, for example saurus. Diva/Ace are too much for my projects cpu wise.

No offence but this Tal synth is not exactly hard to tweak and I do find the "preset whore" argument amusing. I have never tried in any way to deny i start with a preset, i've always admitted it, but the amusing part comes from the fact that according to Evil Dragon i am supposed to find something in this synth that some of the top preset designers couldn't. Did you see the names on board for the factory bank? pretty big names and advertised as a selling point of the synth. How i can be expected to coax something better out of it than them is beyond me.

I think Uncle E's point is properly the most valid in my case, it wasn't a great synth to emulate to begin with. So it's starting to make sense now.. i obviously wouldn't like the hardware equivalent either since the genuine consensus is that Tal has done a top job emulating.

Personally i don't see the point buying it because it's only $40 when i wouldn't use it if it was freeware. I gave it a good chance last night again and played with it for approx 3 hours, and it sounds flat, shallow and boring.

This is getting praise from the way i see it from a geek perspective because it's a good emulation. Yet actually superb sounding synths like CableGuy's Curve 2 hardly get discussed. I find THAT amusing too. I would pick Curve2 and Saurus over this Tal thing any day (oh and Curve's demo only comes with a small selection of presets by the way, but it's easy to hear how superb the underlying quality is, so punchy and crisp).

Think what you want but i have no beef with the Talk guy and do wish him success and if he is that talented i sincerely hope he picks a better synth (imo) to emulate next time. I just couldn't find a use for this.

Now i also did ask to be guided to some sounds that show why this synth is great and i didn't get any reply, but as i said i was willing to concede if i am mistaken as it's loved so much overall that i am trying to find what i am missing

DIVA is just in another league, but also the price is in another league. Don't get me wrong its very good, but just not as a bargain as TAL's synth. Also the CPU usage of U-NO-LX is a lot less. You can easily make a track with 30 instances on an i5 without the need of bouncing. That's just not possible with diva if you don't use the draft quality mode.

I would go for TAL and if you like it, buy DIVA afterwards.

just try the demo mate and compare if needed

have a feeling DIVA will come out on top...

[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

FWIW i just asked Urs about selling my Diva license. Also got someone interested already and received an OK from Urs.
UPDATE: Diva license is transferred now.

Diva sounds great for sure but i got lots of other very nice synths too (e.g. Saurus, Waves Element, TAL U-NO-LX, Oxium, Synthix etc.) and i noticed i hardly used Diva during the last year (got it with the initial release). Most of the presets i made with it were during the first public beta and those are included with the factory content.
Later i mostly used it to do comparisons which mostly resulted in trouble here so selling it also more or less will prevent me from posting additional comparisons. :)

This year i want to clean up my synth collection so maybe some more plugins will follow soon.

About TAL U-NO-LX i could say i got it for 5 months and still love it. At the introduction offer of 35$ it's a real bargain IMO. Just judging on what it is able to do it seems to have the same sound quality than Diva and as a Juno 60 emulation it seems to be the most authentic plugin at the moment.
Within Mulab MUX i am also able to do layers and add FXs to U-NO-LX including some macro controls that control important features of the layers.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Funny you mention the Saurus. I remember testing it at the same time the LX was introduced. But I did not like the Saurus, its sound was not exactly overwhelming for a rather expensive VA synth (3x the price of the LX), to put it mildly. Not to mention the annoying demo mode. The optional sound sets (I dislike that approach) for Saurus cost more than the LX itself.

I agree on the Element, it is cool, very appealing interface and sound :)

I have them both. And really like them both too. The TAL I normally use for those sparklingly bright lead sounds with long releases while DIVA is mostly for monophonic bass/lead and sequencey bits.

At high resonance settings I prefer the TAL's overall sound.

And the Juno 6/60 is a better sounding synth to the 106. Hardware envelopes and ADSR sweep of pulse width FTW. :)

Tony

Funny how someone always claims its case of apples vs oranges. In this case it isn't, because both software synths do emulate the same hardware synth in question with extremely similar results.
You are currently reading my signature.

I don't think the Juno emulation is the main purpose of Diva, though.

djanthonyw wrote:Funny how someone always claims its case of apples vs oranges.
apples vs tutti frutti? ;)

No mention of the filter sound.
Wasnt the paid upgrade mainly for the zero delay filters?
Whats the consensus as I dont believe zero delay instantly means authentic/analog sounding.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Synthbuilder wrote:I have them both. And really like them both too.

Tony Allgood

Now, this is one hell of an endorsement for both synths.

It makes no sense to compare DIVA to a direct synth emulation like TAL-Uno-LX. This is not Arturia Minimoog V versus Gforce Minimonsta.

It makes more sense to compare DIVA to something modular like VAZ, Reaktor or Tassman.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:It makes no sense to compare DIVA to a direct synth emulation like TAL-Uno-LX. This is not Arturia Minimoog V versus Gforce Minimonsta.

It makes more sense to compare DIVA to something modular like VAZ, Reaktor or Tassman.
Not really, VAZ, maybe, but certainly not Reaktor, and I doubt Tassman since those both offer way more features than Diva and do not even begin to approach the sound which is what this thread is about. However, the comparison that is being made is not about features, it's about sound.

Like it has been mentioned, both Diva and U-No-LX emulate the same synth. Diva emulates more synths than U-no, but they do both emulate the same synth and both of them also emulate the sound of the original Juno-60 very well.
You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Instruments”