Diva
59%
U-no-LX
41%

Total votes: 128

RELATED
PRODUCTS

urosh wrote:
Uncle E wrote: Isn't DIVA the 106, not the 60?
djanthonyw wrote: Diva emulates the Juno 60?
"Cascade" filter should be Jupiter 8 (judging by passband gain drop on increasing reso, never ever 've been even close to J8 ). "Multimode" might be slightly mutated Jupiter 6. Dual VCO is something jupiterish, DCO is Alpha Juno (digi env as well).
Cascade in "clean" mde matches exactly the filter behaviour of our Jupiter 8 (Rev 2) while cascade in "rough" matches exactly that of our Juno 60. The modulation ranges of course differ. The Multimode filter is exceptionally close to that of our Jupiter 6 and Alpha Juno 2. The digital envelope is tuned after that of our JP6 as well.

However, analogue synths sound quite diverse. Our two OB-X sound like day and night.

i have both and i mainly use Diva simply cos i prefer to use a fully featured moog than a juno....and i grown to love the moog filter more than any roland one.
having said that i'm not voting as it's not clear to me what i'm voting on.
better synth? diva by far.
better juno60 eulation? probably unolx is a tiny bit closer to the real thing .

the juno is not a stellar synth...but has its charm. and if u start every sound with both chorus buttons activated (basically that's its secret) u're pretty much guaranteed to come up with something "pop" sounding that will fit in a mix....and has a edgy resonance filter and that mixed digital/analog mid80s feel that can be appealing.
here's what i mean
http://soundcloud.com/olikana/olikana-t ... synth-demo
Last edited by olikana on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

George wrote:Poll results are very revealing. I expected Diva to get much higher percentage, but it's just 60%.
I'm rather surprised it isn't the other way round - We have had one year of Diva this and Diva that. People get tired of it, naturally. Now we're the party poopers, until some developer comes up with a decent alternative. TAL is probably the closest to do so.

Urs wrote:Our two OB-X sound like day and night.
Is it really a night and day difference? Can you briefly describe how they differ? Are the raw oscillator sounds much different?
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

olikana wrote:i have both and i mainly use Diva simply cos i prefer to use a fully featured moog than a juno....and i grown to love the moog filter more than any roland one.
I don't like Juno's but I love running the Juno oscillator into the MS-20 filter in DIVA. :)

Uncle E wrote:
zlatan wrote:Regardless , today's market value of a 60 is much higher than the 106.
Why do you think that is ?
Clearly, it's because people are sheep who buy into anything that says VCO, regardless of how crap the 60 sounds. ;)

I'm just winding you up, don't take that seriously. I've been around synths for decades now and 106's were going for twice as much as 60's for the longest time. It's actually pretty surprising to me to see 60's selling in the $700-800 range, it wasn't long ago that you could get a Jupiter 6 for that amount.

btw, here's my personal Roland collection:

TR-909
TR-808
Jupiter 6
Jupiter 4
2 x MKS-80 with programmer
MKS-70
MKS-50
MKS-30
MKS-7
2 x Juno 106
Had both the 60 and 106 but the 106 to me was quite superior in all ways. Don't get teh 60 at all

Urs wrote:Our two OB-X sound like day and night.
Hell, that's at least 8 SEMs in pretty packages. Should be as repeatable as 8 Minimoogs.
BTW, you added 12dB LP to J6 VCF, that should be that comment about mutation.

And, IMveryHO, you guys did best job as far as accuracy is concerned on MS20 mk2 VCF. (+- 40dB of noise) But, since there is no Church of Korg, unlike huuuuge Church of Moog and maybe even bigger Church of Roland, nobody is complaining or praising Diva on that aspect.

urosh wrote:And, IMveryHO, you guys did best job as far as accuracy is concerned on MS20 mk2 VCF.
+1
(+- 40dB of noise) But, since there is no Church of Korg, unlike huuuuge Church of Moog and maybe even bigger Church of Roland, nobody is complaining or praising Diva on that aspect.
I worship the Church of Korg. The Korg Gods punished me for selling my last MS-20 by immediately corrupting my hard drive with all the samples I'd made of it. Everything else was backed up, that MS-20 sample library was literally the only thing I lost.

djanthonyw wrote:So, I decided to demo U-no-lx. It sounds great, but I'm wondering if there is really a point in getting it if I already have Diva? I does run less on CPU, but I don't really care about that since Diva has different quality modes for realtime use. I'm just asking about the sound.
If you want a Juno-60 sound, U-NO-LX sounds just as good as Diva but uses less CPU. That's a real advantage IMO since that leaves more CPU for patches that Diva does better (combinations of different modules, Jupiter-8 sounds etc.).

Also, the interfaces looks and is calibrated just like a Juno-60 which makes it easier to dial in Juno-60 patches. Diva needs a bit more tweaking if you want to re-create patches 1:1.

But yeah, with a bit of work and a lot more CPU, Diva can do everything that U-NO-LX can do, while the opposite is not true.
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

JimmiG wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:So, I decided to demo U-no-lx. It sounds great, but I'm wondering if there is really a point in getting it if I already have Diva? I does run less on CPU, but I don't really care about that since Diva has different quality modes for realtime use. I'm just asking about the sound.
If you want a Juno-60 sound, U-NO-LX sounds just as good as Diva but uses less CPU. That's a real advantage IMO since that leaves more CPU for patches that Diva does better (combinations of different modules, Jupiter-8 sounds etc.).

Also, the interfaces looks and is calibrated just like a Juno-60 which makes it easier to dial in Juno-60 patches. Diva needs a bit more tweaking if you want to re-create patches 1:1.

But yeah, with a bit of work and a lot more CPU, Diva can do everything that U-NO-LX can do, while the opposite is not true.
EDITED: The first Chorus mode in Diva seems to be based on the Juno 60 like Urs mentioned but still the combinations of mode I + II seemm to be only possible with it if you play a bit with the parameters.

So far there is also no Arp in Diva. Urs mentioned it will be added around April. The Arp of U-NO-LX just seemed to have got another update with additional modes.

The Juno 60 envelope seems to be identical to the Jupiter 8 but the parameter calibration in Diva is totally different. As already mentioned this makes 1:1 recreations of both the Jupiter and the Juno quite difficult.

As i already demonstrated a while ago you could easily do layers of U-NO-LX with additional FXs and macro controls in Mutools MUX. The whole parameters including those in U-NO-LX could then be saved in a MUX preset.

Here is a screenshot of a 2 OSC Synth Brass done with U-NO-LX and MUX:

The version 2 of U-NO-LX uses another plugin so you could use v1 and v2 at the same time. I just updated the MUX preset shown above for use with U-NO-LX V2:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/53230726/U-NO- ... 0Layer.Mux

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Diva's Chorus has three modes. The first is modelled after the Juno 60 chorus, the second is inspired by the Ensoniq DP-4 quadrature chorus, the third mode is based on the Ensemble effect in the Polysix.

Each mode shares the same parameters set, so - like the other modules - they're not exactly calibrated replicas by principle. The Juno 60 chorus is best achieved with full depth and matching the rate knob to the 3 different speeds possible in the Juno 60 (I, II, I + II). We have however dropped the noise. Hence it may sound closer to the alpha Juno chorus which has a compander for noise reduction.

Thanks for the reply about the Chorus, Urs. Sometimes it's difficult to keep track on which Diva module is based on which synth, especially with the FXs.

The Chorus of U-NO-LX is also available as a free FX plugin ("TAL Chorus-LX") so Diva users could try to use that instead of the internal Chorus or just to calibrate the parameters of the Chorus in Diva.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

BDeep wrote:Image

UNOX better than Diva?
:love:

BDeep wrote:Image

UNOX better than Diva?
I don't think that the 1st oscillator is quite in sync with the 2nd one...

That's quite normal when they are so fat and have a "pronounced" sound...

The oscillators in those early analog synths were a little unstable and you had to reach inside and physically adjust them from time to time :wink:

digitalboytn wrote:I don't think that the 1st oscillator is quite in sync with the 2nd one...

That's quite normal when they are so fat and have a "pronounced" sound...

The oscillators in those early analog synths were a little unstable and you had to reach inside and physically adjust them from time to time :wink:
Or you could just grab hold of your tuning knob and fiddle with it :lol:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Instruments”