List of Vsti's that support Tun/scala files for Microtonal

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IrionDaRonin wrote:Hi guys.

I'm taking advantage of this thread to ask about microtonal thing.
What is microtonal? I mean, what is it for?

I heard many times of it, but what is the main purpose of this?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day :)
That article Cuauhtli linked to is a great introduction.

Another way to introduce microtonality is to start with the blues. The blue notes which give the blues its distinctive feeling are microtonal- a blue seventh is usually about 1/3 of a semitone flat of where it would be in 12-tone equal temperament, for example. It's a different feeling. In the case of the blues, the blue notes tend not to be out of tune as you might hear them described in a classroom, but in tune- they tend toward being in tune with the naturally occurring harmonic ratios related to the seventh partial, 7:4, 7:6, 7:5. Although we're not conscious of it, there is a harmonic tuning reference always present "in the air" when there are voices, horns, saxes, violins, strings, etc.

This doesn't mean "a blue seventh is tuned to 7:4". The ratio is the harmonic reference point. The closer you get to it the smoother the sound. But blues musicians have their own flavors, because every microtonal variation has its own feeling.

The traditional music of the near east, central Asia, Indian subcontinent, is all microtonal in a related way. The different makamlar, ragas and so on don't just have different scales, they have different tunings, and traditionally these tunings varied with every region, village, even individual. For thousands of years, literally, experts have argued about "the best" tunings for ragas, makamlar, genera but of course there has never been a "best", it was always about expression.

Unfortunately almost everything about microtonality on the internet is a bunch of math- putting the cart before the horse. The math part of making different tunings (which is simple and can even be done without knowing any math at all)
has always been a practical affair, it's not the goal or the reason or the foundation. Just listen to some authentic (not "World Music") Middle Eastern music for an example of "microtonal".

For another example of microtonality used in the way it has been since time immemorial (for feeling, not mathturbation), check out the soundtrack, by that guy from Radiohead, of There Will Be Blood. Those super-tense string clusters are microtonal. If you play dense 12-tET semitones, it's pretty tense, but if want a really tense and mind-altering feeling, then you tune it to feel that way rather than just using what's available on a piano.

At another extreme of feeling, check out the ambient music of Robert Rich, who is quite popular. He uses microtonality not for tension but for mellowness.

When you get down to the heart of it, "microtonal" really just means "using different tunings for different feelings".

Our new polyphonic MIDI Guitar plugin will get .tun support soon, so that synths no longer need to support it to work with guitars.
JamOrigin.com

Like us on Facebook.com/JamOrigin and follow us on Twitter @JamOrigin

JamOrigin wrote:Our new polyphonic MIDI Guitar plugin will get .tun support soon, so that synths no longer need to support it to work with guitars.
Excellent- controllers have always been a problem for microtonality with synthesizers.

now any host to load these vsti ?

carrieres wrote:now any host to load these vsti ?
Any host that supports VST instruments will work- Reaper, Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Samplitude... there are probably a dozen or more.

i don't get it !
how do you write in microtonal ?
i mean the pianoroll need to be different (more "keys") , no ?

carrieres wrote:i don't get it !
how do you write in microtonal ?
i mean the pianoroll need to be different (more "keys") , no ?
The pianoroll in a midi sequencer is just a series of midi note numbers from 0-127. The little picture of a Halberstadt keyboard (what we think of today as "the keyboard" though of course it is just one of many historical and possible variations) is just handy visuals. It has no effect whatsoever on the piano roll itself.

The midi note numbers tell the synth what note to play- but that note can be tuned in any way.

So note number 60 is usually middle C, followed by C# at 61. But it could be an A, followed by a C two octaves higher, or 60 could be a D followed by D one quartertone higher. The pitches triggered by the notes could even be mixed up- going down rather than up, or alternating.

To make things easy, many times people use microtonal tunings with only twelve notes in the octave. The "whole" tuning may be huge- the tuning in which Western harmonic evolved, and on which our notation is still based, requires 31 tones to be complete- but you just use the twelve you need.

thanks, i did not imagine that you would use a subset of notes
for example : 12 notes from a 100 notes scale

carrieres wrote:thanks, i did not imagine that you would use a subset of notes
for example : 12 notes from a 100 notes scale
Yes, until the last 200 years or so, even Western music was still done this way.
Mozart wrote in 1/6-comma meantone tuning. This takes more than 50 notes to complete a circle, but he wrote for about two dozen tones for orchestra and voices, and on keyboard instruments he would use some subset of twelve. In earlier days it was even fairly common to use split keys on keyboards, so they'd have 14, 16 or even more keys on the keyboard.

The theoretical systems of the east have a huge number of tones, but in practice the musicians only use some subsets of that- for example you might find say seventeen movable frets within an octave on a Turkish instrument. 15 tones in the octave seems to be very common, that's how one of my instruments came fretted, a friend of mine has a larger baglama with 19 frets in the octave. The "official" Turkish theory is based on 53 tones to the octave. But there is no universal agreement on this- as it used to be in the west, experts argue like mad.

Anyway the point is that you don't need some huge number of notes. You can play an entire concert with seven appropriately placed frets in the octave, or you can make your music microtonal by just altering some of the 12 standard tones. You can tune some intervals to be more consonant, or more dissonant, or a combination of the two. I'd be happy to share some tunings to explore if you're interested.

edit- by "share some tunings to explore" I don't mean to give one exact scale, because microtonality is about soul, and the tuning that speaks to my feeling may be different than the one that speaks to yours. So I mean to present a tuning in the ancient way, which is the general principle or rough shape, and how some people find it to be emotionally, and just examples of how it's precisely tuned. In the end you must always find the tunings that are yours.

i am interested to see and hear a demo project.
so basically a project written in ableton, orion, reaper, studio One, FL studio, energyXT or a free host, i have a lot of vsti .... and posted here would be very nice
thanks you very much

carrieres wrote:i am interested to see and hear a demo project.
so basically a project written in ableton, orion, reaper, studio One, FL studio, energyXT or a free host, i have a lot of vsti .... and posted here would be very nice
thanks you very much
Later this evening I can send you something by PM, if you dig it then I could do a step-by-step creation in the Music Production forum of a new tune specifically to show ways to incorporate microtonality in computer productions. Well you don't even have to dig the tune, but at least you can hear that at least it's not some random noodling. :lol:

oh my god, it would be awesome !
i am very curious about microtonality, i have followed some courses at IRCAM but never started a track !
now, it's the time thanks to you !

SynthMaster supports scala tuning, it can read scale .tun files.

The tune can be either set

a) globally
b) or per preset
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

jpumphandle wrote:
Z3TA - Both the old Z3TA+ and the new Z3TA-2 allow scale tunings. Here's an example of a tune done in 17 EDO using Z3TA+ and FMTS. Arranged in MULAB. The percussion is a MultiSampla Kit created from a bunch of recordings made around the house by Chris Vaisvil. The tune is called - It's Prime. Anytime you leave the realm of normal Western tuning, it bites a little.
Something to listen to (above). Midi notes were mapped so that it takes 17 steps to complete an octave e.g. When the plugin assigns frequencies to keys (In this case from the root at C3), based upon the tuning scale - equal interpolation of the 17 steps - Frequencies of tuning are assigned to each midi note as follows:

261.63 - 1/1
277.02 - 2
292.41 - 3
307.80 - 4
323.19 - 5
338.58 - 6
353.97 - 7
369.36 - 8
384.75 - 9
400.14 - 10
415.53 - 11
430.92 - 12
446.31 - 13
461.70 - 14
477.09 - 15
492.48 - 16
507.87 - 17
523.26 - 2/1

The 18th key will have a frequency tuning exactly twice that of the original root key (in this case example).

Sound Magic Pianos windows native all supports scala files. And all instrument will equip with scala tunning system.
http://www.supremepiano.com

Return to “Instruments”