Blamsoft VK-1 Viking synth Rack Extension for Reason

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dogboy73 wrote:
danbroad wrote:Have Moog noticed yet? Have their lawyers?
I did wonder this myself, given that it's such a blatant rip-off down to the last detail. All it's missing is the Moog logo! It does make you wonder, if this wasn't CLEARLY an emulation of the Moog Voyager then would people even be comparing the two?! People would certainly be saying, 'it's a great sounding synth', and things like, 'it sounds very analogue'. But the first bite is with the eye & often this is the main pull of software emulations of vintage (or not so vintage in the case of the Voyager) analogue hardware. Some might sound very little like the hardware they're emulating. But if they look like them people are drawn in like moths to a flame!
Yes, if it isn't officially sanctioned, then it's a fairly obvious ripoff of a still-patented moog design, and although its pretty then I'd imagine there'll be a cease and desist letter from Asheville in the near future....
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

eXode wrote:Yes, rather cold. I guess the "cold" should be easy to spot then. ;)

http://soundcloud.com/exodesound/synth-blind-test
my guess is that thor is the 2nd and 4th instance?

There is a clear audible difference between first two bars, then 3 and 4, then it goes back to the one at the start, then goes to whatever was in 3 and 4 for 7 and 8.

That one sounds a tad thinner or colder.. don't know how to put it.. but for me , i prefer 1&2 and 5&6.

hey if that's Thor, then that means i prefer Thor.

would be curious to know.

I'm sorry I was acting like a dick.
Last edited by eXode on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not saying that Thor sounds bad in any ways, just that for the average "sound designer" and out of the box Thor's architecture tend to give you more "cold" or digital sounds with it's linear envelopes, lack of over-sampling, lack of drift control, easy-stereo spread/unison etc. To be honest I'm not hugely impressed with Viking myself and compared to DIVA it's pretty pathetic moog emulation, BUT I do like that have something like this available in Reason and the FM and wave morphing sounds really nice.
I especially dislike how quiet the oscillators are!

Return to “Instruments”