U-He's DIVA is getting a freak'n arp!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
cheppner wrote:Hehe, Guys, you are asking for a lot ;-)

Still, many times I thought "yeah, that's easy to do already" so at least we won't disappoint somebody :).

But beware: There will be a compromise between power vs. ease of use in Diva.
Simple is good. Just don't forget about tie/slide. :)
No worries, tie/slide will be in the sequencer. Not sure how this affects the arpeggiator.
Hopefully it affects the arpeggiator in the same way it does in Zebra! That is, it allows slides between arpeggiated notes. How else would it affect it? Sorry I can't tell if you're being serious or somehow facetious.

Is there going to be a separate note sequencer from the arp? Sequencers are cool and all, but compared to a sequecced arp, they are so much more limiting because you are stuck with that one melody (although the sequencer in Bazille is pretty brilliant with it's morphable sequences!) A sequenced arp lets you change the notes being triggered by the chords you play on the keyboard while still giving the detailed velocity input and slides. But you know this of course, since Zebra does that. I certainly hope in Diva the slides are not left off the arp in favor of a sequencer.

The arpeggiator picks keys from a chord and plays them (plus a couple of octaves) one by one. The sequencer is transposed by the key that's pressed. If both are going at same clock, the Arp transposes the sequencer with every note - just like in Zebra, but somehow other way round. Slides, ties... no prob.

It's mostly the same, but we're adding some realtime stuff (multiple patterns). It's SH-101 on steroids.

Some things won't be possible, but those are rather exotic uses (chords mingled with slides). To the contrary, I think we'll get a way more usable system. Easier, more flexible, more expressive.

IMHO

david.beholder wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote: Poly-Ana lets you take 2 extra monophonic MIDI channels as "sequencer" inputs which become modulation sources, suitable for tracking the filter(s) or whatever. Very powerful! (And and a shame nobody ever uses it. :? )
Is it somewhere in manual? I didn't know it has such interesting feature.
EDIT: Cross-post. My response is now in the Poly-Ana thread, here, as we're off topic here in the DIVA thread.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 47#5158247
Last edited by AdmiralQuality on Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Urs wrote:The arpeggiator picks keys from a chord and plays them (plus a couple of octaves) one by one. The sequencer is transposed by the key that's pressed. If both are going at same clock, the Arp transposes the sequencer with every note - just like in Zebra, but somehow other way round. Slides, ties... no prob.

It's mostly the same, but we're adding some realtime stuff (multiple patterns). It's SH-101 on steroids.

Some things won't be possible, but those are rather exotic uses (chords mingled with slides). To the contrary, I think we'll get a way more usable system. Easier, more flexible, more expressive.

IMHO
Well that sounds great!

And as icing on the cake, it's great that it's coming in 64bit VST2.4 format on the mac too..... hehe, sorry now I'm pushing my luck I know. I'll shut up now. :oops:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:And as icing on the cake, it's great that it's coming in 64bit VST2.4 format on the mac too..... hehe, sorry now I'm pushing my luck I know. I'll shut up now. :oops:
You're pushing your luck ;)

There was a lot of :roll: in the office when I brought it up. Granted, we could possibly get it done for now, but d'oh, it would be a depressing lot of work and it might not work furher than next rev of MacOS X.

Urs wrote: There was a lot of :roll: in the office when I brought it up. Granted, we could possibly get it done for now, but d'oh, it would be a depressing lot of work and it might not work furher than next rev of MacOS X.
Do you mean because you would stop supporting it or because OSX would somehow break 2.4 compatibility? I think hosts are going to keep using 2.4 for some time. And it OSX did break something about it, then hosts would have to take on VST3 (which I know you're doing anyways).

my guess it is just too many formats to support
64 bit, AU, Vst3....and vst2...not to mention the PC side etc
rsp

AdmiralQuality wrote:
Two different short arpeggios, one slow in the left ear (Filter 1) and the other fast in the right ear (Filter 2), while I play some chords on the synth as a whole.
Thanks a lot.

Btw, is sequencer in plans of PA2? And how update for PA1 is rolling?
Murderous duck!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Do you mean because you would stop supporting it or because OSX would somehow break 2.4 compatibility? I think hosts are going to keep using 2.4 for some time. And it OSX did break something about it, then hosts would have to take on VST3 (which I know you're doing anyways).
Obviously, we're the only guys besides Apple who do multi-AU components. All plugins are in the same file, because, well, we can and because this can save quite a few resources. Just look at Uhbik: Our AU, RTAS and VST3 load each knob only once and share it across an open Uhbik-F and Runciter. Faster loading, less memory, smaller downloads, less trouble for us.

Our VST2s however are all the same too, but copied & renamed so and so many times. On Windows, if you rename Zebra2.dll to Zebralette.dll it'll magically turn into that. Quite simple and easy, has worked well for years.

Trouble starts on 64-bit MacOS X. There, Cocoa is mandatory. But no two Cocoa objects may have the same name. Thus, simply copying is a nono. We see the result lately when people try to use VSTs and AUs in the same host: The 32-bit Cocoa View of our 32-bit AUs do not open anymore, because there's such a name collision. Dreadful.

So, apart from making our VST2 plugins compatible with Cocoa, we need to give up all the benefits of multi-Plugin binaries. The only way to do this modestly is by using crude hacks. These seem to work, but maybe only until whatever Apple comes up next (e.g. code signing for Gatekeeper or for AAX might become a major obstacle)

I missed most of the thread: will ACE get an arp too?

thanks
Frank

FrankT wrote:I missed most of the thread: will ACE get an arp too?

thanks
Frank
Maybe. ACE otoh has great means of sequencing with the "tap the map" LFO. Which we might improve upon further.

Nothing set in stone yet.

jbuonacc wrote:Can the Arp, implemented in Diva, be set to make toast and maybe iron my socks?
From what I heard arping/sequencing in the office these last days when Clemens was implementing and refining all those cool arp and sequencer features I would say yes. Toast Hawaii and maybe even the socks. :-o :lol: 8)

VitaminD wrote:Can the Arp, implemented in Diva, be set to a 'chord' mode to play chords in a gated manner?
Beuller, Beuller, Beuller? :help:

VitaminD wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Can the Arp, implemented in Diva, be set to a 'chord' mode to play chords in a gated manner?
I don't know 8)

VitaminD wrote:
Not yet implemented, hence not yet sure :oops:

Return to “Instruments”