PsyGen, PsyBox and Ambitron from M-RGT?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ambitron psyBOX psyGEN

Deist wrote:this situation just conforted me in my resolution never to buy from anything but strong well-known companies. Once you sell software to someone you have a responsability, just as they have with the user license -- it should go both ways, right?

Still, too bad, as M-RGT's software sure seemed worth it.
-- DeisT
Well, their stuff was ridiculously cheap (I mean less than what it costs me to buy lunch where I work), so while I agree with you in principle, this is not exactly a case of a $200 plugin being lost because some call/response system was shut down.

It was distributed as a password protected rar-file and was a copy/paste install. If you still have the files (either installed or in their original download form), you can use it forever, anywhere, anytime. Unlike some big-dev systems that require their server to be up and running.

But it's probably a good idea to back up or upload stuff from small developers to your cloud ASAP after purchase, even if they don't use an expiring download link.

I'm still hoping this is just some glitch after moving/taking a new job/getting a divorce/going bankrupt or whatever and it will all bounce back in a month or so. A couple of weeks is nothing if you're emigrating or moving across the country.

wasi wrote:Well, their stuff was ridiculously cheap (I mean less than what it costs me to buy lunch where I work), so while I agree with you in principle, this is not exactly a case of a $200 plugin being lost because some call/response system was shut down.
Yeah you're right! Such low price should count for something.
(I more reacted to the fact that this situation illustrates my principles in the matter, but M-RGT's products in themselves are certainly not be the best examples for it in the end)
wasi wrote:It was distributed as a password protected rar-file and was a copy/paste install. If you still have the files (either installed or in their original download form), you can use it forever, anywhere, anytime. Unlike some big-dev systems that require their server to be up and running.

But it's probably a good idea to back up or upload stuff from small developers to your cloud ASAP after purchase, even if they don't use an expiring download link.
Couldn't agree more! Not to say that whoever bought and didn't backup are exactly faulty, but they certainly were too careless about it (not to mention a bit naive perhaps -- hope for the best, but always expect the worst to happen people!)
wasi wrote:I'm still hoping this is just some glitch after moving/taking a new job/getting a divorce/going bankrupt or whatever and it will all bounce back in a month or so. A couple of weeks is nothing if you're emigrating or moving across the country.
I hope that is the case too! Good devs, especially with original and innovative products such as Boris are always appreciated. But from what I've read in the "M-RGT's missing" thread it looks suspiciously bad: what with Bobbotov being a partner yet unable to reach the developer via email. In what possible optimistic scenario would one not have access to his mailbox or remain unable to reply emails for several weeks? Still, may you be right and I wrong in our assumptions...
Last edited by Deist on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

How criminal would it be if one of us who got the files backed up helped another user with a copy of that, as long as that user can provide proof of purchase from the developer?

I mean, if the developer has vanished in thin air and the site is down, how can he then provide help with backups?

Numanoid wrote:How criminal would it be if one of us who got the files backed up helped another user with a copy of that, as long as that user can provide proof of purchase from the developer?
From the KVR FAQ:
General Forum Rules

4. Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

What about demo versions?
These aren't under any spreading/sharing restrictions and since they're now unavailable for good...

Anybody got demo versions of either one of M-RGT's synths here to share?
Ambitron, PsyGEN and/or PsyBOX?

About above quote of user restrictions, I still think it should go both ways: "Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, etc." of course. But what about plugs sellers asked to provide continuous service and support to their buyers?

(Still, shame on you Numanoid and any other not bothering to backup their purchased software. Coming from a one-guy company you should have foreseen -- or say, FEARED at the very least -- this situation coming! I know I would have in your case...)

Deist wrote:About above quote of user restrictions, I still think it should go both ways: "Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, etc." of course. But what about plugs sellers asked to provide continuous service and support to their buyers?
Still covered by copyright laws and end user agreements.

I sympathize with everyone's concerns. And having known Boris for several years this situation is so unexpected and mystifying for me. We had very close contact (daily) for years and then my last communication with him was in August of this year as he was in the process of a major job/career change. Since M-RGT sales were virtually non-existent and we were not in the process of releasing anything new I figured the hiatus wouldn't be disruptive as long as the website was up and I was monitoring the KVR threads in the meantime. He never indicated anything was amiss although I heard from someone else that he was having health problems but he never mentioned it to me so I have no idea how serious that was or even what it was.

I wish I could be of more help with regards to the software but I do not own the copyright. Even if Boris never surfaces I am precluded from acting unilaterally on something that is not mine to give. I do not have access to the user database so I have little to no idea who legitimately owns the products. If Boris had given me some idea as to what his plans were then perhaps some contingency could have been established to transition the software. As it stands I have no idea what the fate of Boris is or if and when he may communicate with me if ever.

As to the demos I never kept copies per se as they were of no use to me as I had the full versions and after changing computers a couple of times and a hard drive failure I probably would not still have them anyway. I don't think I have ever kept a demo if I owned the full version of any software for that matter. It just adds to useless file clutter.

More than the software issue though for me is not knowing the fate of Boris. He was such a wonderful person to work with: imaginative, enthusiastic, dedicated and persevering. I think I may feel the same way he did when Tim Conrardy died suddenly whom he had a close working relationship also.

I also know Boris well enough to say that he would never just abandon his "babies," unless something catastrophic happened to which he had no control over. I know he would work tirelessly to find a bug in the software or to implement some idea we had to improve the product. Sometimes I wondered if he ever slept. He is only 45 and he and I shared the same birthday which we found amusing. I miss not talking with him in his broken English and the experience was quite enriching for me. He lives or lived in Kurgan, southern Siberia and we were in completely opposite time zones which made communicating a challenge. But he was always available seemingly 24/7.

Since this situation is unprecedented for me I am really not sure how best to proceed. If sharing the files between legitimate users is doable I doubt Boris would object at this point. As it was, despite the low price of the products they were still found on numerous Torrent sites which seemed pretty absurd to me. Ambitron appeared on a Torrent site the day we released it!!! Such is the nature of the digital age.

Mercifully, I still have the installers for all of them. I'll be mindful to make extra backups now - I don't want to lose these anytime soon!

Well thanks to you & Boris for bringing us the 3 fantastic tools that you managed to release.

Here's also hoping that somewhere out there Brois is alive and well.
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

@Bobbotov

Doesn't Boris have a Facebook or VK or Twitter account where we could get a life sign of him, at least?

Tricky-Loops wrote:@Bobbotov

Doesn't Boris have a Facebook or VK or Twitter account where we could get a life sign of him, at least?
Not that I am aware of. Boris generally kept a low profile and he didn't even post on KVR. Someone recently gave me another e-mail address for him that I just used. We'll see if that gets a response. I am somewhat torn between respecting his obvious need for privacy (isolation) with trying to ascertain if he is okay. I opted for seeing if he is okay.

I know he used to read KVR posts as we would discuss them sometimes. But now I have no idea.

Bobbotov wrote:More than the software issue though for me is not knowing the fate of Boris.
I can certainly relate to that, sucks big time to remain ignorant of a friend's situation in these circonstances, and you have my sympathy (for what it's worth)

Well, the domain name is registered until 16 March 2014. I'm surprised that being a business partner you guys did not at least have each other's phone numbers. Time differences and connection costs notwithstanding. Well, I guess you never had the need to communicate directly, i.e. other than email.

Anyway, all the contact info, including phone number and address is on the Network Solutions site, so it's easy enough to look up in case you absolutely wanted to see if Boris is alright. It would NOT be my place as a customer to do that... other than sending an email (which we can no longer do). So, all I can do is just re-iterate that I hope everything is okay. And I guess, it's time to move on. These creative tools are really fabulous and I'm glad that you guys brought them into being. It's a real shame that sales were not enough to bring you a better reward for all your hard work. As was mentioned... the cost to purchase was very reasonable, so for me, it isn't about the money, and really it's just about being concerned for someone who seemed like a really cool person.

If you do hear from Boris... would you let us know just a word or two that he's okay... or not okay? Or... perhaps it really is time to just move on... and all we can do is wish him the best, whatever he is doing these days.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:Well, the domain name is registered until 16 March 2014. I'm surprised that being a business partner you guys did not at least have each other's phone numbers. Time differences and connection costs notwithstanding. Well, I guess you never had the need to communicate directly, i.e. other than email.
Boris was pretty reclusive generally despite being affable once you got to know him. (for example I don't even know what he looks like as he was reluctant to share a photo) His written English was acceptable for the most part to me as I was a translator once and am used to people writing/speaking English in a broken manner. I think he was more comfortable with written English than speaking on the telephone or Skype. Perhaps he used an online translation program. Occasionally he would ask me to interpret an e-mail that he received that he did not understand well. But as I said we communicated daily and it was never an issue.
Sequent wrote:
Anyway, all the contact info, including phone number and address is on the Network Solutions site, so it's easy enough to look up in case you absolutely wanted to see if Boris is alright. It would NOT be my place as a customer to do that... other than sending an email (which we can no longer do). So, all I can do is just re-iterate that I hope everything is okay. And I guess, it's time to move on. These creative tools are really fabulous and I'm glad that you guys brought them into being. It's a real shame that sales were not enough to bring you a better reward for all your hard work. As was mentioned... the cost to purchase was very reasonable, so for me, it isn't about the money, and really it's just about being concerned for someone who seemed like a really cool person.
Thanks. I hesitate to use the past tense so I will say he IS a cool person. Extremely honest and caring. I have had business dealings with people that I have had personal contact with that were not as forthright and trustworthy as Boris is.
Sequent wrote:
If you do hear from Boris... would you let us know just a word or two that he's okay... or not okay? Or... perhaps it really is time to just move on... and all we can do is wish him the best, whatever he is doing these days.
Of course.

So glad I picked up a copy of PsyGen earlier in the year. It's one of my favorite granular tools. I'm not a terribly sophisticated user, and some of the granular stuff I've tried seems resistant to making any musical sounds. There are some granular ensembles in Reaktor that I can only seem to get a low rumble or painful screeching noises out of. But there are a handful of granular instruments that seem somehow 'tuned' so that making something musical is more likely. PsyGen is one of those, I think, along with Granite from New Sonic Arts. I'm always able to easily get interesting, useful, and musical sounds from them.

Deist, rather than confirming your commitment not to buy from small developers, I would take just the opposite lesson from this. Whenever a small developer comes up with something really unique and interesting, you should grab it while you can. Especially if, as is the case here, it makes no difference if the developer disappears down the line as long as you've taken the reasonable precaution of making a backup copy. I have PsyGen on at least a couple of hard drives, so if Boris wants to vanish on a bender into the Siberian back-country for a couple of months, it's no skin off my nose.

By the way, what's a guy who's able to program such a cool instrument doing in Siberia anyway? I don't have any skills at all, and I still get to live comfortably in Portlandia. That doesn't seem fair, but it's all just a crapshoot, I guess.

Hoping for the best for Boris. . .

dreadnought wrote:By the way, what's a guy who's able to program such a cool instrument doing in Siberia anyway? I don't have any skills at all, and I still get to live comfortably in Portlandia.
Maybe because he is born there and has still a strong connection to his homeland in Siberia (which has magnificent landscapes, BTW)?

If all Russian programmers would leave their country, there wouldn't be any progress in Siberia...

Return to “Instruments”